Evo or Breed pups in a basswood RG?

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
Big Red

Hi Folks,

I have an Ibanez RG 320FM, and am looking to get much better pickups. Based on the research I have done, I conclude that the "safest" bet is to put a PAF Pro in the neck and a Super Distortion in the bridge.

I have read in a couple of areas that the Evo's and Breed's are not suited to basswood guitars. That comment for the Evo's I can understand, since Vai's Jem is made out of Alder. That comment for the Breed's, however seem to be a little contradictory since the Dimarizo website pick-up selector suggests it, and that Vai's Bad Horsie guitar is basswood and has Breeds in it.

I want my RG to positively sing (not just fart), since I will be buying a Dean Z 79 Reissue (Explorer shape) soon, which will serve as the polar opposite in terms of tone.

Any advice? Has anyone used Evo's in a basswood RG?
MR4Y

go to the pickup picker in the DiMarzio site www.dimarzio.com, then choose the caracteristcs of your guitar etc... then they will indicate the three best choices for what you want in terms of sound
Lucky

Big Red, I'll let you know when my evos come in...I'm going to slap them in a 570. The Breeds are great with basswood, I have them in my DBK and they're nice and warm with plenty of chunk. If you like a darker sound then these are your ticket.
EyE

My BSB is made out of Basswood and has a great sound. Basswood hardly contributes to the whole total-sound! The pickups do most/all the work! I had this conversation with Patrick Koopman a few months ago. He said the same thing. So there's no harm there to put Evo's in your RG! :wink:
MR4Y

Big Red wrote:Hi Folks,

I have an Ibanez RG 320FM, and am looking to get much better pickups. Based on the research I have done, I conclude that the "safest" bet is to put a PAF Pro in the neck and a Super Distortion in the bridge.

I have read in a couple of areas that the Evo's and Breed's are not suited to basswood guitars. That comment for the Evo's I can understand, since Vai's Jem is made out of Alder. That comment for the Breed's, however seem to be a little contradictory since the Dimarizo website pick-up selector suggests it, and that Vai's Bad Horsie guitar is basswood and has Breeds in it.

I want my RG to positively sing (not just fart), since I will be buying a Dean Z 79 Reissue (Explorer shape) soon, which will serve as the polar opposite in terms of tone.

Any advice? Has anyone used Evo's in a basswood RG?
since Alder have more high than basswood, you'll only get the screaming sound of the EVO on the bridge of a alder body guitar. You can put an Evolution in an basswood guitar, since this wood is more "flatted" on tones, you can use more options of Humbuckers and single coils. Actually my guitar with stock pickups has a REALLY present bass bottom and I can even emulate a bass on it. but some suggestions.

1- If you want the Vai sound, try the EVO 2 which is more balanced than the original Evolution, and have a lot of dynamic response. And use the original Evolution neck model.

2-If you want the screaming Satch sound with all these growls and harmonics, you might try the FRED on the bridge and PAF JOE or PAF PRO on the neck, since the JS has a Basswood body too, you can get a good response and a sound like Satch does :mrgreen:

3-If you want the Petrucci "dynamic heavyness" you might try the D-Sonic on bridge and Air Norton on the neck. Or even dig the bass using the Tone Zone instead of the D-Sonic.

Well, the Breed was used on some guitars, but more part of JEMs, even the ones with basswood body, all of them have both PAF PRO's on neck and bridge positions. The Breed kick ass like a fat sounding humbucker, but it has less dynamics.

You can go good for EVO, you use a Ibanez guitar, so you'll get more mids and highs than ever :mrgreen:
Big Red

I just took a further look at the Jem specs on the Jemsite web-page. There are plenty of basswood Jems that come with Evo's as standard equipment; I didn't know that before I created this thread.
Thanks for your input folks.

Evo's here I come!
Logic

Big Red wrote:I just took a further look at the Jem specs on the Jemsite web-page. There are plenty of basswood Jems that come with Evo's as standard equipment; I didn't know that before I created this thread.
Thanks for your input folks.

Evo's here I come!
I have the same setup.. can't be beat! plenty of scream, plenty of tone too.
As stated before. Wood does not make as big a difference as some would have you beleive. Alder vs Basswood. If you can audibly hear the difference with two guitars set up the same way except the wood, You'd be one bad dude. The masses can't hear the difference. The pickups are mounted in plastic. Not wood.
Hobophobic

I have Evolutions neck and bridge and an HS-2 wired single in the middle for my basswood RG1570L. I doubt I'll go to the trouble to change anything because I don't hate it but I do find myself wishing that I'd gone with the Evo 2 (or maybe even a Fred) instead. Regardless of whether it's anything to do with the wood or not, I'd like something a little warmer and a little more beefy in the mids. Maybe I'll end up changing it after all.
Logic

Mr. Hobophobic
I would really like to know what change it makes.. I am tickled pink with the Evo's fore and aft. HS2 in the center. I really wanna hear your feed back I you change your Evo for a breed.. Don't forget to chime in and tell us how that puppy works out.
Hobophobic

I don't know if I'll bother to change anything or not but I'm not really considering the Breed if I do. I'd probably go with the Evo 2 or maybe the Fred if I did.