Tommy Emmanuel Acoustic Guitars

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
mr_vai777

Does anyone know what make of acoustic guitars Tommy Emmanuel uses? Ive tried to look on his site and some pics but cant find out.

Peace
Guitar_freaak

mr_vai777 wrote:Does anyone know what make of acoustic guitars Tommy Emmanuel uses? Ive tried to look on his site and some pics but cant find out.

Peace
He uses Maton (Awesome aussie brand) . Tommy has his own line of guitars with them . See here - http://www.maton.com.au/acoustics/te.asp
hewhoshreds

I've never played one, but they look and sound absolutely brilliant.
Birdman

You sir would be correct. LOL I've played one and they are freakin amazing. I still bought the EP7 though. haha
cho_888

i own the top end maton messiah, briliant guitars. To be honest ibanez has nothing when i comes to acoustic guitars. Another Australian maker to check out is cole clark
Birdman

Cho I'd agree mostly, but the guy I know that has the TE Maton (who has played with Dragon, Richard Clapton, and others) used my EP7 one night, just to see what it was like and was totally shocked at the sound of it when it was plugged in. It does sound pretty freakin sweet through the pa etc, but yeah, the maton's are a work of art, for sure.
sweeps

yeah i got a maton em225 and its really solid good price and a great all round package. the drummer in my bands got an emc80?? i think really nice 1 of the best acoustics iv played haha i play it more then him wen i get the chance matons r GREAT in my experience
Animal 06

cho_888 wrote:i own the top end maton messiah, briliant guitars. To be honest ibanez has nothing when i comes to acoustic guitars. Another Australian maker to check out is cole clark
Agreed the Cole Clarkes (CC) are unbelievable guitars. My friend has a Cole 12 string.....i love it. There is one difference though that usually tends people to buy the Matons over the CC. The pickups in the CC are just not very good looking.....sounds shallow i know.....but when investing in such an expensive guitar, its gotta be perfect! lol :D

P.S did you know that Cole Clarke was formed by two guitar makers that left Maton.
cho_888

so true, the news ones have a black pick up instead. looks a little better
[5150]
Newcomer

Yes - Maton guitars. Mmmm ...

Very distinct. Looks Maton. Sounds Maton. Tommy doesn't always record with them but typically plays them exclusively live.

I have 2. A 6-string Maton CB94C (EM325C custom) called a "Downtowner", which I've had since 1995, and most recently I added a 12-string EM425C/12 to my collection (see pic below) ...

... absolutely my favourite acoustics.

Tommy actually gave one of his personal Matons to one of my studio partners - and it's all beat where he played percussion on it live! :) - but I have to say that although I love the sound of his model (being rosewood back and sides), its sustain (looooong) is more-suited to lead-playing, which is obviously why it is built that way for Tommy - but it is too much IMO for rhythm work - and that's where I prefer my 6 & 12-strings, as they are both made of Queensland Walnut (back and sides) and thus have a lighter tone with not-as-much sustain, and therefore work better as a rhythm-based instrument. Just my personal observations, but I have played all of these guitars extensively, and other people agree with me - absolute major differences when recorded - not better or worse - but different. All stunning in their own right, but I prefer the Queensland Walnut sound for my rhythm-playing.

But yes, Maton - check them out if you can - don't know if they're easily accessible in the US or UK, but it can't hurt to e-mail Maton and ask. 8)