play with ur volume pot, screw up ur volume pot

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
yunuserkaya

hey, i was playing Yngwie malmsteen's echo etude and i kept rolling the volume up and down.. then, 10 mins later i noticed that my volume pot was acting weird.
i could hear it scratching sumwhere. and when i compared it to my tone pot i was shocked. my volume pot doesnt wanna move anymore cuz i got its friction under it up a notch. and. any suggestions?
thanx
5thD

change it
yunuserkaya

wow i totally thought that prestige ibanez's are built to last. i mean. its not even a month old for gods sake. and its already screwed up. that is interesting
j.arledge

is it possible that the knob has slid futher onto the pot's shaft making it so that the knob is scraping the guitar body ?

I'd check that out before i jumped to anything , i have had that happen before and it sounds sort of simular to what you are talking about .

Ibanez pots are fairly well made and i have never had any pot just freeze on me like that , even with extened play time.

Once you know for shure what the deal is post back , if it is the pot, myself or others will be able to help you out with installing a new pot .
al

cud be a simple solder problem, if nto a pot replacement or wiring, its nothint o worry about
endor

yeah, my volume keeps cutting out when i move a little down from max volume, but not all the way, just like so theres no gain, but it happens only when i touch it to move aboit, im getting checked out
j.arledge

that is due to the nut holding the pot secure on the top side of the body being loose . I also have the problem frequently .
NatiFable

yunuserkaya wrote:hey, i was playing Yngwie malmsteen's echo etude and i kept rolling the volume up and down.. then, 10 mins later i noticed that my volume pot was acting weird.
i could hear it scratching sumwhere. and when i compared it to my tone pot i was shocked. my volume pot doesnt wanna move anymore cuz i got its friction under it up a notch. and. any suggestions?
thanx
It might have froze. EVH had this happen when he recorded 'Cathedral'. If it froze, change it out-But-You might want to get a chemical spray or even just a tiny drop of 3 in 1 oil and place it in the opening <if there is one, there should be> and turn your volume knob on and off and it will be fine
ScreamJem7

NatiFable wrote:You might want to get a chemical spray or even just a tiny drop of 3 in 1 oil and place it in the opening <if there is one, there should be> and turn your volume knob on and off and it will be fine
DeOxit or contact cleaner. Never oil a potentiometer.
NatiFable

ScreamJem7 wrote:
NatiFable wrote:You might want to get a chemical spray or even just a tiny drop of 3 in 1 oil and place it in the opening <if there is one, there should be> and turn your volume knob on and off and it will be fine
DeOxit or contact cleaner. Never oil a potentiometer.
A drop of oil will not mess up a volume or tone pot. I repeat, a drop of oil inside the pot will not hurt anything. If a pot is going bad anyway, it will die out eventually.

If someone is so concerned about 'dirt' or 'dust' build up through a tiny hole in an enclosed cavity then you really need to just 'Bubble Boy' your entire life or get out of the filth your living in 'Pig Pen' because no amount of contact cleaner will help then!

Volume knobs go out for any number of reasons but they are also not nearly as expensive as a contact cleaner for the novice or the guy that just wants to play.

So what is the smartest thing to do? Here's what you ask yourself:

Do I have an instrument that is vintage, very rare? Am I Eric Johnson? Am I an audiophile? Do I do guitar repair? Well, then invest in some kind of CAIG product. It is nice to have around.
(about 9-14 bucks depending on where you buy it).

Do I have a guitar that I really like and want to keep for a while? Do I just want to replace this thing now and not worry about it later? Okay then, just buy a new pot.
(about $3)

Do I want to just play my guitar right now, knowing that I may or may not have to replace this thing someday? Do I want to be a dollar chasing a dime when I could have done it for nothing?
(Free)

My answer: Excluding the vintage, very rare guitar-Just drop in some oil, it will work, you 'may' or 'may not' eventually have to replace the knob anyway-Isn't that fun? Let's live dangerously people... I mean, we all can't be Richard Branson here, jumping off hot air ballons and sh*t.

Quick fix and the permanent fix. Quick fix costs you a drop of oil, permanent fix takes care of the problem completely. You'll save about 10 bucks, so go celebrate at McDonald's with the savings.

peace and light

Now for those of you playing the home game:

If you do no repair on your own, don't know how to replace a pot or have to go out and buy a soldering iron <I've used 'Bubbalicious' gum in an emergency> then you'll have to pay someone to change it out. Best case scenario about $20 bucks to buy everything. Shop repair-about $20 bucks-either or with the DeoxIt? about $34 dollars.