no pick left after scraping it off with the mid. single coil

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
yunuserkaya

hello. i recently bought an RG 1570 and i'd like to ask u guys if any of u had problems with the pick constantly being scraped off by the mid single coils poles, cuz i am really happy with the height of my pickup. i'd really like sum input.

thanx
jemgirl

yep,same problem here.
when i had my 1570 i always scrapt the middle pickup.
haaaa you gotta deal with it i quess. :wink:
al

it happens to the best of us.....

including me :) just move the position of your hand and it shud be ok
yunuserkaya

oh no! is it the guitar itself or the pickup? and maan..i hate switching position...it gets really difficult to access trem..oh well.

btw. i bought the pick that i use (steve vai sig. pick in pink color) for 11 dollars in turkish black market. [those picks just dont exist here!] funny story tho

thanks
Gabriel Perat

you mean that you are hitting the midle pickup? well, I have a RG, but That doesn't happens to me :?

EDIT: Mine is also an RG1570 :D
Last edited by Gabriel Perat on Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Logic

OK,
Five post's on this and I still don't understand.
Your wearing your picks out by scraping them on the middle pickup?
Does it cause cosmetic problems to the pickup??
I mean I do carry a black sharpy pen to reblack the screws and other hardware on my axe. Is that it??
brentm

I think it wears out the pick.

I use Steve's signature picks and I swear those things last forever. I also recessed my middle p/u to be flush with the body. Although it sounded like the original poster liked to use his middle pickup.
barhouston

1) Change your picking position to between the middle and neck pickups. You should still be able to get to your trem. (I like the sound I get from picking over my neck humbucker, actually.)

2) Whether or not you take suggestion 1, use less of the tip of your pick. It'll sound better, and you can vary your pick attack (and dynamics) by how firmly you hold the pick (and what guage you're using).

3) Don't slam on the strings. I don't know for sure, but it seems like you'd have to strum pretty hard to do that to your pick (albeit consistently, to put those strums in the same spot over your middle pickup). Anyway, it just sounds bad, reduces your opportunity for expression, and annoys the crap outta me. Sorry. Lemme know if I'm wrong.

Here's a redeeming smiley. :)
Logic

A different type of pick might do some good as well.. Like one of those tear type picks. I know they aren't Steve Specials but hey! You can put the Signature picks in a case.
yunuserkaya

sorry i thought i was clear enough:

I am wearing my picks out by scraping them on the middle pickup. and cosmetically i am not quite sure if i do damage. but my pick just chips in tiny pieces and they pile up around the middle p/u's pole pieces. its really weird cuz naturally i play right over the middle pickup. and i think my action is lower than usual. and for now that i have a really bad bridge pickup i usually use the middle pickup for the tone.

this happens when i play in a sitting position. and when i alternate pick quite rapidly (malmsteen anyone?). cuz i really like to rest my hand almost over the bridge...my hand hanging in the air whilst playing just feels awkward.

i think i'll just lower the mid p/u like brentm said. and thanks barhouston for your wonderful reply!
Logic wrote:You can put the Signature picks in a case.
only if i had more than one! lol
yunuserkaya

so. i reduced the p/u height significally low. and i dont get any more pain and suffering. thanks brentm
Gabriel Perat

If you have low action it will be for sure that you'll hit de mid pickup. Anyway, do you use the middle pickup? if isn't so, why don't you just take it out and put a block of wood or just a pickguard?
resha

you can also try to change your pick position...

if your pick get out of your fingers too much (I think maybe about 1cm...) you'll have that problem. Try to keep the pick the more "inside" your hand you can, leaving only the just tip of it out (no more than 3/4 mm.)
Pay attention to the finger you're used to keep under you pick (for me index finger) 'cause it'll be less controllable being "invisible" under your pick!

This "technique" will improve your picking (faster and faster 8) ) and you won't have that problem of hitting the p.u. with it!

hope this helps :wink:
yunuserkaya

resha wrote:if your pick get out of your fingers too much (I think maybe about 1cm...) you'll have that problem. Try to keep the pick the more "inside" your hand you can, leaving only the just tip of it out (no more than 3/4 mm.)
i kinda adapted. infact, the factory setup of my single coils height was less than 4 mm's close to the high E string. now its just above it..i think 4,5 mm's. that could be the reason lol.
Omg i hope its a typo when u said 3/4 mm's cuz i was like :shock:

I dont really use my middle pickup anymore. just used it frequently for the two following days of my guitar purchase. i think it'll be going down to its cavity. whenever i scrape my pick is when im shredding and/or pinching harmonics.

hey. maybe its time to learn the propriate "technique" so i'll take ur advise resha!
resha

yunuserkaya wrote:
resha wrote:if your pick get out of your fingers too much (I think maybe about 1cm...) you'll have that problem. Try to keep the pick the more "inside" your hand you can, leaving only the just tip of it out (no more than 3/4 mm.)
i kinda adapted. infact, the factory setup of my single coils height was less than 4 mm's close to the high E string. now its just above it..i think 4,5 mm's. that could be the reason lol.
Omg i hope its a typo when u said 3/4 mm's cuz i was like :shock:

I dont really use my middle pickup anymore. just used it frequently for the two following days of my guitar purchase. i think it'll be going down to its cavity. whenever i scrape my pick is when im shredding and/or pinching harmonics.

hey. maybe its time to learn the propriate "technique" so i'll take ur advise resha!
erm... :roll: maybe my explanation wasn't that good :?

the height of your middle pick up is important, but hte most important thing is how you keep your pick!

If your pick gets out of your fingers too much it'll be easier to scratch it on your middle pick-up, but if you try to keep it the more inside your hand you can (leaving out the just tip of it) it'll be harder to hit the pick up ('cause you'll hit it first with your fingers and then with the pic!)

know what I mean?

:wink: