Getting a Jem

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
VaiWorshiper91

Getting a Jem

#1 Post by VaiWorshiper91 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:53 pm

Is this really good idea?
Should I get a Jem?
Or should I just get some other Ibanez RG?

jemgirl

#2 Post by jemgirl » Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:40 pm

its the best idea ever!! :wink:
jem`s are special, you never ever want something else.
just get it. :P

Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

#3 Post by Mikey » Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:47 pm

If you like Jems, get a Jem. If you like RGs get an RG.

I'm not sure how anonymous people on a forum would make a better decision for you than you.

Mikey
vai.com

VaiWorshiper91

#4 Post by VaiWorshiper91 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:53 pm

True Mikey, I was just wanting some feedback from the Jem owners on this forum! By the way, that's a nice lookin guitar you got jemgirl.

miker

#5 Post by miker » Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:34 pm

You should prolly get 1 of each Jem (i.e., 7VWH, Bad Horsie, etc...), and one of each RG (there's about 24 models out this year)... then play all of them for like a year -- each. It's the only way to really know which guitar is for you. Yah. Pretty much.

regards,
anonymous forum-type person

VaiWorshiper91

#6 Post by VaiWorshiper91 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:32 pm

Well, I was just planning on getting a 7VWH and keeping that... :? Funny joke though.

j.arledge

#7 Post by j.arledge » Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:41 pm

i personally dont think jems are worth it . I am sure there are others that will dissagree :D but they are too expensive and you could probably find a nice rg that would suit you better .

If i was going to spend 2000 on a guitar i'd buy a J-custom 8760 or whatever they are . They have a vine inlay plus trans-finished and i belive are neck through.

RoadStarII

#8 Post by RoadStarII » Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:03 am

Mikey wrote:If you like Jems, get a Jem. If you like RGs get an RG.

I'm not sure how anonymous people on a forum would make a better decision for you than you.

Mikey
vai.com

:roll:

I think he's looking for some help weighing the pros and cons. :?

the_west_pig

#9 Post by the_west_pig » Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:04 pm

my buddy once asked me if i had to choose between saving a jem from a burning building or saving an RG like mine (1570) i thought about it it long an hard and came back to him the next day and said:

I'd save the jem, then sell it and buy the RG so i'd have some extra cash as well as the guitar i wanted! :P

Yeah, i'm veering towards no for the jems, i think you should only get one if you can afford 10 of them, because the difference in prce is no where near the difference in what you get. The only substancial differences between the 1570 and the higher jems is that jems are made of alder and they have dimarzio pickups, they have cool inlays and they have vai written on the headstock, and to be honest, i think most ibanez think they can charge that much for them only because of the last reason.

I'm not saying they arent amazing guitars, they are, but in the end you just have to play one to find out i guess. And if money is an issue, then you can get a perfectly amazing RG for like 5-600 pounds (cant be bothered to think how much that is in dollars) or like 300 from evilbay if your desperate (not recommended) and if you've still got some left over, why not buy some evo pickups and put them in, put the best of both guitars into one?

Basically you've got to ask yourself one question - Do you want a jem because they are the right guitars for you, or do you want one because other vai fan on this forum seems to have one so they must be the ultimate guitar?

knarfzednem

#10 Post by knarfzednem » Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:38 pm

the_west_pig wrote:my buddy once asked me if i had to choose between saving a jem from a burning building or saving an RG like mine (1570) i thought about it it long an hard and came back to him the next day and said:

I'd save the jem, then sell it and buy the RG so i'd have some extra cash as well as the guitar i wanted! :P

Yeah, i'm veering towards no for the jems, i think you should only get one if you can afford 10 of them, because the difference in prce is no where near the difference in what you get. The only substancial differences between the 1570 and the higher jems is that jems are made of alder and they have dimarzio pickups, they have cool inlays and they have vai written on the headstock, and to be honest, i think most ibanez think they can charge that much for them only because of the last reason.

I'm not saying they arent amazing guitars, they are, but in the end you just have to play one to find out i guess. And if money is an issue, then you can get a perfectly amazing RG for like 5-600 pounds (cant be bothered to think how much that is in dollars) or like 300 from evilbay if your desperate (not recommended) and if you've still got some left over, why not buy some evo pickups and put them in, put the best of both guitars into one?

Basically you've got to ask yourself one question - Do you want a jem because they are the right guitars for you, or do you want one because other vai fan on this forum seems to have one so they must be the ultimate guitar?
actually, it doesn't have Vai on the headstock. i think Steve wanted to go as far from a signature model as possible, making it accesible to all guitarists. it doesn't seem to be working.
but, if someone really wants a Jem, then by all means, go for it. i own one myself. i do regret buying it though. but there are so many fun playing experiences i have with it, that if i sold it, i'm sure i would regret that more.
for me, there is a downside to playing a Jem. i feel it labels me and will make some have certain expectations about my playing. also, my playing style is very limited when i hold the Jem. it feels that i have to play that particular style. but this is just me, and it hasn't stopped me from falling in love with the guitar. however, this is why i went to Carvin. although they do have certain limits(body styles, paint), they allow you to be completely individual within reason. (contradiction, anyone?) i think my playing style really comes through with the Carvin. it allows me to play what i feel.
if you can find that, then just go for it.

the_west_pig

#11 Post by the_west_pig » Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:32 pm

lol, guess it doesn have it "written" on the headstock but you know what i mean, if you know who vai is, its got vai written all over it.

And you've made a bloody good point by reminding me that it doesnt even have to have ibanez on the headstock to be an awesome guitar, i think as soon as you limit yourself to one brand of guitar what you want is an image of owning an ibanez and you might be missing out for whats right for you. Just because you think all (insert guitar brand you hate here) guitars are rubbish doesnt mean there might be a one-off sitting in the corner of a shop somewhere.

So you should just go into a massive guitar shop, try out everything, and even when yo've found the one you think is the best for you, play some more just to make sure.

Although for the record it'll probably end up being an ibanez in my opinion.

vaiisagoodguitarplayer

#12 Post by vaiisagoodguitarplayer » Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:04 pm

They're very expensive. After I played one though I had to buy it. It's all up to you and how it feels for you. I think the only other guitar I'd pay that much money for would be a PRS.

Gastric Sumo

#13 Post by Gastric Sumo » Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:24 pm

I bought a Jem 7vwh and loved it. It had a feel to it however that felt like it was made by a machine unlike my G&L. After I got over that aspect of it, I started to see it for what it was- a well built guitar. It has a bolt on neck, but it has nearly as much sustain as my Washburn Eagle neck through. And that's saying a lot for a bolt on!! Everything on the guitar is top notch. The tone and volume knobs are the best I've ever used on any guitar period. That with the pickups let you achieve any sound possible on the guitar. I'm not talking just good, but straight up awesome! The thing that eventually got me in the end was the single coil. With the alder body, I captured the best single coil sound that I've ever heard. I dare to say it's even better than my G&L. (The sound, not the pickup. Nothing beats a G&L MFD single coil). In single coil mode with some delay and reverb and the natural vibration of the alder body, it was like magic.. that's all I can say. At least it was for me. Bottom line is, the Jem 7vw is magic in so many ways. I had to sell mine due to hard times( and the resale value). But I swear to god that I will eventually save my money to get another one. I'm not sure how the top of the line RG's rate against the jem, but I'm sure they're good as well. I'm a Washburn guy because they sell good guitars for cheap(not just mass produced crap, but you have to know what to look for). And I like G&L's too because they are at the top of their game right now. But I will never forget the time I finally got a Jem7vw. It was just as good as I imagined it would be. And even better, because I had no idea how good the single coil sounded. Mine was a 2003 with ebony and edge pro. somebody is reading this and enjoying my jem right now. :cry:

mi2tom

#14 Post by mi2tom » Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:55 pm

I say just get it and don't look back anymore :D

carlygtr56
Newcomer

#15 Post by carlygtr56 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:14 am

I play Strats.
I would never even pick an Ibanez off the wall...........Recently, I was getting into the Astoria dvd and Vai sections of the G3 shows.
It dawned on me, the Jem is the perfect hotrod Strat. I went to Guitar Center who had a new one in....played it and fell in love.
I traded one of my Strats towards it to offset the cost.
A few weeks later, GC got in an identcal white Jem. I was really looking for a Rock Mirror, but this Jem they had in was EXACTLY like #1, so I traded my Clapton Strat towards that one!
Now I got TWO and they are killer guitars.