check out my custom guitar

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
mhuey1

I finally finished.... 7 string. Mahogany body, with a Floyd Rose tremolo, Roland GK-3 pick up, Evolution / Blaze pick ups, and a Fernandes Sustainer. I rigged the middle pick up (Blaze) to by pass the Sustainer circuit board, so if I don't have power from the battery, I can still get a sound from the guitar. The black button next to the input jack chops the sound from the sustainer (on/off). I gives me a Morse Code kinda of sound... well I think it's cool.

Image Image Image
bancika

cool!
but little scarry with all those gadgets :)
Lo Lo

Doesn't look like the sustainer is centered correctly!
mhuey1

Lo Lo wrote:Doesn't look like the sustainer is centered correctly!

i didn't want to risk it, so I put the sustainer under the standard 6 strings opposed to 7. :wink:
Igor

tell em they need to make a sustainer for 7 string guitars..

and that's WAY too many switches for me ..

give me a single volume knob and one 3 way switch (no blade switch) and thats all i need
Lo Lo

Get a clip up, I'd like to hear it!
PureVa|

thats fureaking bad ass. congrats.

hey would mind recording a building the church type synth and putting it up here? i'm trying to decide whether or not to order a GR-33.
Moderator777

Have you considered buying a piezo style bridge? I believe they have a way you can use the saddle piezo pickups to use as MIDI, therefore eliminating the bulky GK-3. Plus the tracking is MUCH better.

--------------
Moderator777
www.vai.com
mhuey1

Ahh... Thanks!

I didn't know they made that. I'll definitely look into that. Hopefully they'll have one for 7 string :) The GK-3 doesn't track as great as I would want it.

I'll put some music up when I get some time (and learn the intro to "Building The Church"). :D
mi2tom

looks nice!!! :D
Moderator777

mhuey1 wrote:Ahh... Thanks!

I didn't know they made that. I'll definitely look into that. Hopefully they'll have one for 7 string :) The GK-3 doesn't track as great as I would want it.

I'll put some music up when I get some time (and learn the intro to "Building The Church"). :D
Check out this guitar:

http://www.ibanez.com/guitars/guitar.asp?model=RG1520G

They use that technology with the Edge Pro. I highly doubt it will work a 7-string (I do not believe the Roland supports 7's anyway) but you would be in better shape running on 6 piezo style pickups than with the GK-3. The GK-3 is contoured for a 6-string so you certainly won't get as good tracking on it, even with the screw adjustments.

--------------
Moderator777
www.vai.com
SBarrett

Wow! That guitar is scary looking! :o Very nice guitar... it's sure a workstation alright. I thought my 7-string was quite a workload with the GK-2 on it... But I think you win here. :) Here's a pic of mine http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y49/ci ... 5e2b8e.jpg The pic is poor quality, sorry.

I see the volume, tone, p.u. selector, sustainer switches and knob, GK-3, ... so what does the chrome switch and black knob twards the middle do? I'm just curious. That's an impressive guitar. Nice work! I'd like to here some songs from this guitar as well. :wink:

-Sean
mhuey1

Thanks everyone,
SBarrett wrote:Wow! That guitar is scary looking! :o Very nice guitar... it's sure a workstation alright. I thought my 7-string was quite a workload with the GK-2 on it... But I think you win here. :) Here's a pic of mine http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y49/ci ... 5e2b8e.jpg The pic is poor quality, sorry.

I see the volume, tone, p.u. selector, sustainer switches and knob, GK-3, ... so what does the chrome switch and black knob twards the middle do? I'm just curious. That's an impressive guitar. Nice work! I'd like to here some songs from this guitar as well. :wink:

-Sean

Hey, Sean I don't know if you remember, but you gave me some advise on my GK-3. Thanks a lot!

http://www.vai.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=13281

The chrome switch is an off/on for the middle humbucker. The middle humbucker is not wired to the sustainer circuit board. So if I lose power I can still play.

The "black knob" is actually an off/on push button (down is off). lets see... how can I explain this... there is a spring in the button so the button stays in the "on" position. When you press it, it only stays in the "off" position as long as you press it.

So to me, it's more of a percussive thing. The button is wired to the sustainer so I can chop the sound (on/off). I know Tom Morello use to do that kinda stuff. I've heard others do it on a Les Paul with the pick up selector.

-M.Huey-
EyE

mhuey1 wrote: Image
Looks like the 2 humbuckers (well, it polls are) aren't centered well. The strings and the pickup polls don't seem to match. Or is it me..... :wink:
vaiisagoodguitarplayer

That's a sick guitar man. How long did it take you to put that all together?