Ibanez neck question

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
SBarrett

Hey all,
My friend has an Ibanez RG320 and he wants to replace the neck of the guitar. He was wondering if it is possible to bolt on a high end neck like a prestige neck onto the guitar.
I assume it is absolutely possible as long as it is the same scale, same number of frets (24), 6-string dimentions, and AANJ. I just want to be safe and I was hoping that any of you could confirm that. Does anyone have any suggestions or warnings?
Thanks,
-Sean 8)
Shade

I guess you could...but why?

Your friend would be better off either just getting a prestige guitar or just keeping the 320 in good shape and set up well.
j.arledge

yeah if both necks are AANJ then the swap should work out good . Just like shade said though, you'd be better off buying a hole guitar with the neck you wanted then just buying a neck and swapping.

buy an rg570 or 1570
SBarrett

Yeah, that's what I thought. My friend said that the frets are pretty worn and doesn't feel that great. I guess he could just get a new guitar. The neck is a very costly part of the guitar... mind as well buy a new guitar.
I think one reason he wouldn't give up the guitar is that he had a Dimarzio Evolution put into it not so long ago, so he did put some patience into that.
Thanks!
-Sean 8)
GTR-MAN

If his frets being worn out is the problem, he could also get a "re-fret" done instead of replacing the neck.
Igor

if it only needs a refret it will cost you less to get it refretted than to buy a new neck.

but if he wants a prestige neck cos he doesnt like his current neck, as long as the specs are the same (# of frets, scale lenght and same neck joint) there is no problem
al

What does "AANJ" mean
Derek

AANJ means All Access Neck Joint. You can get more information here: http://jemsite.com/jem/neckjoint.htm
SBarrett

Yeah, a refret job could work. I didn't know that it was cheaper to do that than getting a new neck. I'll let my friend know about that.
If he decides to go with the neck swap...would the difference of thickness between the neck on his RG320 (I'm assuming it's a Wizard II) and the Prestige neck (Wizard) cause any trouble with the exchange?
And how much would a fret job or a prestige neck cost?
Thanks guys!
:wink:
-Sean
j.arledge

i was looking inot getting one of my guitars re-fretted and the cheapest price i was qouted was 175 . The next qoute was 235 .

having a good re-fret done isn't cheap. You can buy a neck on the bay for around 150-175 give your take . I have a guy's e-mail from jemsite.com that had a neck for sale , i am not sure if he still does but it was in good shape and i think he only wanted 120 for it.

If you want to check into it just pm me and i'll get in touch with the guy to see if you can't work out a deal.
Igor

175 is quite a high price on a neck .. at least for me .. but yea.. not everybody has an endorsement =P

there's a diference between a fret job and a GOOD fret job. you'll notice it imediately, so try and dig out a good tech. not somebody that will say yea.. we can do that, cost ya a 50, but someone that will explain you the process when you ask. might cost you up to 80, but there's no substitute for a good fret job