the common crack that all jems get on the heel..

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
IbanezAlex

ohh god... i have a 1988 floral jem that is near perfect.. and i looked at the heel and there it was.. the crack that most all jems get there... just like Evo.... it almost made me cry... lol is there anything i can do to make it not get any worse???? and isnt Ibanez doing anything about this?? i know nearly all jems get it! is the AANJ an improvement?? or does it do it just as bad? Ibanez wtf??
RAR!

Hey dude, quit freakin' out.

Its just a FINISH crack. It doesnt go into the wood, and it shouldn't get worse. It happens when the paint is curing. Its only as deep as the paint.

Dont worry about it. If you dont smack it on the ground, then you wont have any problems

EVO is cracked because Steve smacks it on the ground.
bancika

Yeah, it's no big deal. But I think it's little cheap for Ibanez to allow it.
al

get some tape :)
Igor

leave it.

i was quite surprised to see these huge ass finish cracks on EVO and steve was like.. i thought of having it repainted... but i like those battle scarrs

if the master aint compaining.. you shouldnt either LOL

but yea.. ibanez shouldnt allow for this to happen

or wait... maybe it's not a flaw. IT'S A FEATURE!
wadso_

Igor wrote:or wait... maybe it's not a flaw. IT'S A FEATURE!
Yeah, that's probably it! You know, the vintage-look! :lol:
Igor

wadso_ wrote:
Igor wrote:or wait... maybe it's not a flaw. IT'S A FEATURE!
Yeah, that's probably it! You know, the vintage-look! :lol:
the steve look more likely
bancika

I wouldn't like to have any crack, no matter who has it (Steve or not), it's so unprofessional from Ibanez. It's combination of soft wood and paint not allowed to dry enough. Mass-production :evil:
resha

My strat got a finish crack like the ones you're talking about... Maybe it's common to all screwed necks? :roll:
RAI

resha wrote:My strat got a finish crack like the ones you're talking about... Maybe it's common to all screwed necks? :roll:
It's common to alot of guitars and manufacturers.
A hard finish on a soft (and constantly shifting) surface isn't the best combination in the world...
If you bought your guitar to be a museum piece, I guess every guitar in the world will let you down, sooner or later.
Get used to it.
Try to see it as "character"....
You will sleep alot better.

:D
RAR!

RAI wrote:
resha wrote:My strat got a finish crack like the ones you're talking about... Maybe it's common to all screwed necks? :roll:
A hard finish on a soft (and constantly shifting) surface isn't the best combination in the world...
If you bought your guitar to be a museum piece, I guess every guitar in the world will let you down, sooner or later.
Get used to it.

Yeah man, let it go.

Hell, I smack my guitars to ding them just for fun!
Igor

yah... i ordered my rhoads with a thinner finish just so it wears faster and is easier to ding

rhoads+dings+wear&scratches=lots of mojo :D
resha

RAR! wrote:
RAI wrote:
Get used to it.

Yeah man, let it go.

Hell, I smack my guitars to ding them just for fun!
yep guys, I love my strat with all Her imperfection on Her surface! like a girl, you know?! she wouldn't be perfect but I love Her too :wink:
bancika

I don't like scratches or cracks at all. I've been having shitty squier strat for more than 4 years and have no single visible scratch on it yet! There's little scratch on neck back and I'll kill one who did it once I find out. I like to respect my instrument, like girl as you said. It has imperfections other than finish cracks 8)
barhouston

I'm kind of anal about the way my guitars look too. I freaked out when I took a finish chunk - and I do mean chunk -- out of the back edge of my Les Paul a couple of years ago. But hey, if I were on stage working my mojo like Steve, I wouldn't mind seeing some battle scars; I guess it depends on the story behind it, for me. 8) Unfortunately, I don't have much mojo, nor any cool stories, just one where I was an idiot and let a nice guitar swing around on my back like it was a freakin' napsack or something. :oops: Dang. :?