Rusty Cooley's 8 string!

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
huckmonkey90

i was looking through an issue of Guitar Player and noticed a small section on Rusty Cooley's sidewinder 8-string guitar. That looks so SWEET! It has this bizarre fanned fretboard (multi-scale) and is so badass. Have any of you guys ever played an 8 string? looks bloody difficult, but i am overcome by the desire to spend my every dime and get one. :D
Last edited by huckmonkey90 on Sun Oct 09, 2005 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moderator777

Someone posted there are 8-string videos on his website.

www.rustycooley.com

I'm not a huge fan of such a shredder, but I do admire his unique and almost 'robotic' approach to the guitar. It is impressive to watch.

I noticed some new clips on his site and the Outworld live clip #3 has an 8-string in it. Perhaps that is the guitar you speak of? According to his website it is a Conklin guitar.

--------------
Moderator777
www.vai.com
Guitar_freaak

Moderator777 wrote:Someone posted there are 8-string videos on his website.

www.rustycooley.com

I'm not a huge fan of such a shredder, but I do admire his unique and almost 'robotic' approach to the guitar. It is impressive to watch.

I noticed some new clips on his site and the Outworld live clip #3 has an 8-string in it. Perhaps that is the guitar you speak of? According to his website it is a Conklin guitar.

--------------
Moderator777
www.vai.com
Yeah , thats the 8 string . He used to have a 9 string , i think it must have also been a conklin , a black on . But he auctioned it off . I guess he didn't find the extra string any more usefull . I personally like some of his stuff from his self titled instrumental album , and some outworld songs are pretty cool .
mxer

rusty needs to stop tucking in his shirts
RAR!

He needs to learn how to use a regular 6 string before he moves on to 8.
RAR!

double post, sorry bout that.
Guitar_freaak

mxer wrote:rusty needs to stop tucking in his shirts
Surely he can wear his clothes any way he wants to .
RAR! wrote:He needs to learn how to use a regular 6 string before he moves on to 8.
http://www.rustycooley.com/videos/revol ... a_500k.wmv

Okay , can you do this . If not , you also need to learn how to use a 6 string guitar .

Seriously , i don't understand everyones hostility towards Rusty . Has he done anything bad to you ? Or are you just jealous of his technique . Maybe that jealousy is getting in the way of hearing some of his better songs . And if you have nothing good to say about him , just dont post at all , its that easy . I dont go joining Britney Spears forums just so i can say how much she sucks (no pun intended).
RAR!

I dont think you got what I was saying.
SPQR

Rusty is the fasest sweep picker on the planet no one can denay that. FULL STOP LOL he's class
wadso_

fortheloveofgod wrote:Rusty is the fasest sweep picker on the planet no one can denay that. FULL STOP LOL he's class
Yeah, absolutely! I feel sorry for Yngwie, he's so out of Rusty's league :wink: Well, Yngwie is the hotter of the two :lol: And btw, that 8-string guitar was so hot! I gotta get one of those :P
Guitar_freaak

RAR! wrote:I dont think you got what I was saying.
No , i get your saying . You dont like Rusty . Sure , you can not like him , im not forcing you to . Just because he doesn't play stuff that is pleasing to your taste of music doesn't mean he isn't a very talented guitarist .
Moderator7VWH

Let's keep it on topic, folks.

Moderator7VWH
huckmonkey90

The main thing i was wondering is what is it like to play one of these guitars? How would it feel compared to a 7?
TonyMacalpine

great player, hate his playing. it seemed a little silly. the layout of all the songs seemed to be flimsy classicalesque melody -> unbelievable technical showcase of sweeping and picking -> generic rock song ending. its nice and all, rusty is a great player technique wise but i dont see him sticking out in the technique game because of his music. it seemed almost silly to me in a way. like his playing is way up in the clouds and his music is subsophmoric. ehh, maybe im losing my tase for the neo classical thing.
IbanezGuitarist

Who would win in a head-cuttin duel, Rusty Cooley or Francesco Fareri?
If you haven't heard of Francisco check his videos out, I think he sold his soul...for real. http://www.francescofareri.com/main.html