custom paint jobs

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
mr_vai777

so i was talking to my dad about changing my RG350 and getting a custom paint job on it similar to the passion and warfare album cover. any1 else had a paint job done or know where to get them done and how much it should cost?
mxer

check out ed roman's site. They can do anything. You want a guitar that looks like marble ,they do it[img]

[/img]
mxer

dam that didnt work.There are tons of artists out there.unless you have lots of money,just find your local airbruch guy and set it up.As for price, its all in who you go to and how elaborate your gonna go.im saying if you want some like P&W cover or something similer,1000 would be minimum
mr_vai777

some guy had a p&w RG body on ebay a whil back, wasnt very expensive and its beautiful. i can probably get it done cheap, i have connections through guys who paint cars for my dad.
Vegas_Blues

OMG, please stay away from Ed Roman....he is a real piece of shit, and he will charge you 10X what his work is worth. Go to
http://www.abouttimedesigns.com/
Darren charges anywhere between $450 and $525 for a multi-colored swirl paintjob.
Eeeeek, I cant believe anyone recommended Ed Roman for anything besides target practice.
Hobophobic

Chris Woods at BVD does the P&W but it's done with graphics sealed in clearcoat, not actually painted on.

Big Bad Bill

Do you know how the do the swirl design? It's amazing! They place the guitar body in a tank of a water, pour different colours of paint into the tank so it floats on top. Then they swirl it around into the desired pattern and lift the guiatr through the paint on the surface of the water! Brilliantly simple!

I bet you could do it yourself if you are handy- practice on some old bits of wood and provided you didn't let it dry, you could remove the paint job if you weren't happy with it!
Vegas_Blues

Yah Bill....BUT....thats an extremely expensive hobby....
The type of paint you need to use (urethanes like they use on cars) is very expensive. Not to mention the 1000 gallon tub used. If you have that kind of money to throw around on a hobby, more power to ya :P
mr_vai777

ok anyone know where abouts in the UK i can get this done? i think that's the P&W one i saw on ebay. its hot!
mxer

Vegas_Blues wrote:OMG, please stay away from Ed Roman....he is a real piece of shit, and he will charge you 10X what his work is worth. Go to
http://www.abouttimedesigns.com/
Darren charges anywhere between $450 and $525 for a multi-colored swirl paintjob.
Eeeeek, I cant believe anyone recommended Ed Roman for anything besides target practice.
I dont hate him too much because he can make you a hand made,high quality Scorpion shred guitar in the USA to your specs for 1500$ on up.He makes them with Quartersawn Neck Construction (No luthier joint behind third fret),Highest quality tonewoods used throughout, Real Hardened SteelFloyd Rose Tremolo, Solid Mounted Direct Coupled Pickups. Go to his website. it shows you how he prices a custom guitar, its more than reasonable. I plan on on getting one . Right now i have ESP M-II deluxe.it isnt the best guitar but its better than most. dose a JEM have a 1 piece quartersawn neck? My ESP dose. Ibanez dosent even have locking studs anymore. I wound rather buy a Ed roman guitar then Ibanez. How much is a White JEM? Where is it made?
Vegas_Blues

Ed Roman is not a guitar luthier....he buys everyone else's designs and slaps his name on them....he is a phony, on TOP of being a slimy piece of sh*t for a business man, AND a person. I would never give this prick my business, even if he DID make good guitars.
mxer

Why is he a slimy piece of shit? for real.i'm really asking you cuz i see you live in las vegas soo you probaly have a certain reason.what does you do thats soo bad?

He has a model called the picasso thats a usa made replica of the ibanez petrucci .So who makes those bodies if he dosent . He bashes ghost building alot.thats weird.how are his prices high? were you just talking paint or everything?
Vegas_Blues

I'm talking about everything here. Ed hires people to do all of his "custom" work. All of that work is based from designs that he buys, and slaps his own name on them. Ed Roman is no more a guitar luthier than Hitler was a jew.

Yes, I do have a personal vendetta with Ed....he stole 3 of my friends guitars (litigation is still pending.)
We were at a local music store, and when we went outside, my friends back window was broken out, and all 3 of his guitars were gone (a JEM7VWH, and 2 classic jems (an old floral, and a root beer jem).
So a few days later, on a tip, we check out Ed's shop, and there there are, hanging on his wall. He says he bought them from someone for $1000. He is in big trouble, cause he doesnt have the pawn licence to buy anything from anyone.

Just for research sake.....
Do a search on harmony-centrals gear reviews....
You will find nothing but bad comments on his craftsmanship and customer service (not to mention over-pricing)

Also, read this from JemSite.com:
http://www.jemsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34190
RAR!

AVOID ED ROMAN

He's a professional asshole and terrible buisnessman.
mxer

Wow.thank you. those reviews,ether they're perfect 10's or they hate his guts.i was actualy thinking about ordering a custom guitar from him. Owell, i just found a store 45 mins. away that has ESP M-IIs.