pickups

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
EVH_1984
Newcomer

hey hey, ive just got a new ibanez guitar and on the manual for the pick ups it says in postion 4 the neck humbucker is parallel connected please could some one explain this wots the differences?
jemgirl

what kinda ibanez?
i think they mean parallel with the neck-pickup.
patricia
EVH_1984
Newcomer

its a rg with two humbuckers
jemgirl

and a single coil middle pickup?
Logic

It seams to me that if there are more than three possitions on the switch it would almost have to be a H/S/H setup.. right??
If that is the case it should be as follows.

1 OO I II
2 IO O II
3 II O II
4 II O OI
5 II I OO

O= active
I= inactive
SBarrett

I have an RG1527 7-string with just two pickups... A Blaze Custom (bridge) and and Air Norton-7 (neck). I have it wired basically the same as the stock setup. Even though it has 2 pickups, it still has 5 positions.

Neck Bridge
1. OO II

2. ()() II

3. OO OO

4. IO OI

5. II OO

O = active
I = inactive
()() = means that the neck pickup is in parallel

The parallel feature (position #2 in my case) on the neck pickup is awesome for me! You get a very crisp clean strat-like twang to your sound, It sounds best with a clean channel or a blues/tweed amp. I guess parallel wiring just alters the circuit or something within the pickup that changes the tone range... but you can still have a hum cancelling quality to the pickup. My #4 position has only the inner coils of both pickups activated which pretty much the same tone except even more "twang" with the addition of treble.
Both postitions have that low-fidelity, mid-scooped EQ sound for great clean passages in songs. John Petrucci (Dream Theater) had that split coil feature on his 3-way pickup selector of his Ibanez JPM signature models. That was basically Bridge Pickup/Inner Coils of both pickups/Neck Pickup.

Here's one of Petrucci's former signature models:
http://www.ibanezrules.com/images/gallery/jpmp1.jpg
I don't understand why Petrucci would have only a 3-way selector when he could have a 5-way. I guess he doesn't need the extras... He's got such an awesome tone nevertheless. :wink: I guess the 5-way selector is harder to operate since you need to switch it carefully in live performances so you don't land on the wrong position by accident.
I'm lucky to have the parallel feature, it's very useful for me to achieve different tones on the fly.
So enjoy your parallel feature! I love mine.
-Sean
Logic

Mr. SBarrett
You have give me very relevant information..
You have farthered my miserable education. :)
I love information..

Thank you..
SBarrett

Logic wrote:Mr. SBarrett
You have give me very relevant information..
You have farthered my miserable education. :)
I love information..

Thank you..
You're very much welcome Mr. Logic. :wink:
Sometimes I have too much to say... so I just say it. lol. Too much time on my hands.

Regarding my point about John Petrucci's split coil feature on his guitars... all I'm saying is, with the "parallel" configuration on Ibanez RGs, you can get a very similar sparkle clean tone to Petrucci's clean tone. I forgot to mention that. So that way when you're playing the RG with the 5-way selector and duel humbuckers, you can switch from a rockin' tone to a sparklin' tone. :) My RG is very versatile in tone.

-Sean
Woohoo! 200th post.