Adding a Floyd Rose toa normal guitar, $$ ?

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
Jay3

YO, How much would it cost to put a Floyd Rose Tremolo bar in like a standard bridge place?
TonyMacalpine

Jay3 wrote:YO, How much would it cost to put a Floyd Rose Tremolo bar in like a standard bridge place?
standard bridge of a what?

for a strat style guitar it may require a little bit of body work (not much tho depending on the bridge type and the guitar). and thats only if you arent going to use the whammy bar to bend up. if you wanna do that, then you'll need more extensive bodywork done on the instrument

for a tune-o-matic expect to shell it out cuz that is a little extensive.

i can tell you that the strat style work will be cheaper than the lp style, but im clueless about exact amounts.
j.arledge

it depends on the bridge and body, if it is a thinner body without a trem already you may not be able to do it because the floyd's bottom block that he springs attach to may stick out behind the body.

IF it is a standard floyd style trem , it depends on wether the neck is built on an angle or if it flat , if it has a standard trem it should have little to no angle which means you will have to rout out a cavity for the floyd to sit in so the action won't be high. If it is angled like on les pauls and other set neck gutiars like that, you should be able to mount without a cavity for them trem to set back down in though it would have to be routed through the body and have the trem spring cavity routed out.

i dont know how much it would cost to have a floyd routed but i wouldn't bother having it done to a cheaper guitar, a les paul, good fender or maybe a PRS, us made deans are commonly routed to floyds as well but if it was anything other then U.S. or made in japan it wouldn't be worth your time and money
Real_Confusions

Too much.
SemiShred

Real_Confusions wrote:Too much.
+1
ChopVai

what guitar?

if its a good guitar, you wouldnt do it..

if its a shit guitar

just go and buy an rg non prestige....
brentm

I agree with ChopVai. Don't bother modifying your existing guitar. Go pick up a used RG 570 or something along those lines for 300 bucks.
Logic

HEy!!
The next time one of you guys has the trem out of your guitar, Must be an edge trem, would you send me a template of the aperture? I am putting an Edge in my RG and have some routing to do. So, if anyone has an edge trem I really could use a template.

P.S. must be life size. :)
Jay3

for those of you wondering I was gonna put one in The Dean Ml i'm planning on gettin.what the fuck is an Rg, if it's an Ibanez, I don't like Ibanez at alllllll :?
brentm

Here's a funny picture of a JEM with a Kahler. Poor JEM looks all ghetto now... for shame. http://www.kahlerparts.com/images/P5231770.jpg

As for the cost of ruining, I mean, modifying your Dean. I'd guess the cost of the trem of your choice, plus a few hours work from an expert (hopefully) luthier.

Good luck!
Vaimaster

It just isn't worth all of the routing that will be neccessary. I would just pay up, and buy a pre equ 8) ipped floyd rose guitar.
mental speedin

dont do its mad n will mess around with the guitar too much just save up n get a new guiatr lol itl be better in the long run 8)
vaiisagoodguitarplayer

brentm wrote:Here's a funny picture of a JEM with a Kahler. Poor JEM looks all ghetto now... for shame. http://www.kahlerparts.com/images/P5231770.jpg

As for the cost of ruining, I mean, modifying your Dean. I'd guess the cost of the trem of your choice, plus a few hours work from an expert (hopefully) luthier.

Good luck!
AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO STOPP!!!!!
iT BURNS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MY EYES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THE HORROR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
sorry but that looks awful. I'd just buy an RG for 300. Or you might wanna buy like a squier bullet and chop it up to your hearts desire and put whatever tremolo you like. It all depends on how much money you're willing do spend and how much you're willing to risk in terms of messing up a guitar.
Instrumentalrockrocks

brentm wrote:Here's a funny picture of a JEM with a Kahler. Poor JEM looks all ghetto now... for shame. http://www.kahlerparts.com/images/P5231770.jpg

Good luck!
AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PUT IT AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PUT IT AWAY!!!!!!

That's sacrilege!!!!!!!!

Shred On :guitar
Instrumentalrockrocks

Good luck!
AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PUT IT AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PUT IT AWAY!!!!!!

That's sacrilege!!!!!!!!

Shred On :guitar