Floyd Rose bridge driving me insane!

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
Post Reply
Message
Author
Real_Confusions
Member
Member
Posts: 918
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2005 10:47 am
Location: Conway, AR
Contact:

Floyd Rose bridge driving me insane!

#1 Post by Real_Confusions » Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:00 am

I cannot tune these things worth a damn without pulling my action up too high.

Does anyone have any advice that would make this easier? Maybe you have had similar experiences in the past?

P.S.
Please don't give me links to articles on sites!

User avatar
Big Bad Bill
Member
Member
Posts: 4071
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2003 12:40 am
Location: Honley UK

#2 Post by Big Bad Bill » Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:24 pm

Sorry-but it does save on needless repetition and you've had 14 'looks' without replies!

http://www.vai.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=13052

Scroll down to the writing in blue-there, easy!

Vaimaster
Member
Member
Posts: 64
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:18 pm

#3 Post by Vaimaster » Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:07 pm

Well, you can check out the tech section on www.ibanezrules.com, this will answer all of your questions. But it is a link to an article at another site :D

kpxmikey89
Member
Member
Posts: 380
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:32 pm
Location: Southern California
Contact:

#4 Post by kpxmikey89 » Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:18 pm

try tuning from high e and work ur way up

jemvan
Member
Member
Posts: 47
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:58 pm

#5 Post by jemvan » Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:13 pm

ive had this problem plenty of times. Try tunning it one half step down that should be good since the strings will offer less tension at this tuning. However if you want concert pitch EADGBE standard tuning you will most likely have to add a fourth spring to the back of your trem due to the tension the strings have at this tuning. Whats the gauge and brand of string the lower the guage the less tension there should be. However the newest strings i just put on my 7VWH are nanoweb elixir .010 and i still had the same problem

Check out http://vai.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1 ... ht=#158813

Just making sure: When you say the action is too high is the tremelo's angle compared to the body radical, because it should be no more than 10-20 degrees max. I dont know what guitar your floyd rose trem is on but for the most part all tremelos should be almost parallel to the body of your guitar the Jem has it routed out to such a degree that its possible to still pull up on the wammy bar to a great degree. When i saw yngwie pull up on his fender on a video his trem is set pretty parallel but he can still pull up at least an 1/8 of an inch if not more. Hope this helps
and on a final note dont worry its a very common problem

Real_Confusions
Member
Member
Posts: 918
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2005 10:47 am
Location: Conway, AR
Contact:

#6 Post by Real_Confusions » Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:27 am

jemvan wrote:ive had this problem plenty of times. Try tunning it one half step down that should be good since the strings will offer less tension at this tuning. However if you want concert pitch EADGBE standard tuning you will most likely have to add a fourth spring to the back of your trem due to the tension the strings have at this tuning. Whats the gauge and brand of string the lower the guage the less tension there should be. However the newest strings i just put on my 7VWH are nanoweb elixir .010 and i still had the same problem

Check out http://vai.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1 ... ht=#158813

Just making sure: When you say the action is too high is the tremelo's angle compared to the body radical, because it should be no more than 10-20 degrees max. I dont know what guitar your floyd rose trem is on but for the most part all tremelos should be almost parallel to the body of your guitar the Jem has it routed out to such a degree that its possible to still pull up on the wammy bar to a great degree. When i saw yngwie pull up on his fender on a video his trem is set pretty parallel but he can still pull up at least an 1/8 of an inch if not more. Hope this helps
and on a final note dont worry its a very common problem
If I do add another spring, how would I place it to equally distribute resistance against the bridge? One side would have to be pulling more than the other.

jemvan
Member
Member
Posts: 47
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:58 pm

#7 Post by jemvan » Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:32 am

The floyd rose tremelo should have five holes for springs i know that the setup on the 7VWH has the five holes but two of them are being used for a plate that is there mostly for looks. After you see the five holes the middle spring will have to be moved over to one side and the distribution will be even like this l l X l l middle X represents no spring. Hope this helps.

Just for visulization what guitar is it on?
posted by Big Bad Bill
Image

Real_Confusions
Member
Member
Posts: 918
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2005 10:47 am
Location: Conway, AR
Contact:

#8 Post by Real_Confusions » Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:44 am

jemvan wrote:The floyd rose tremelo should have five holes for springs i know that the setup on the 7VWH has the five holes but two of them are being used for a plate that is there mostly for looks. After you see the five holes the middle spring will have to be moved over to one side and the distribution will be even like this l l X l l middle X represents no spring. Hope this helps.

Just for visulization what guitar is it on?
posted by Big Bad Bill
Image
It's on a JS.

I'm going to try to put the three springs like BBB had them because of a post of his I read earlier. Right now, I have it distributed as three "half" springs; that will soon change when I align them straight.

Thanks everyone for the help.

GTR-MAN
Member
Member
Posts: 150
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 2:36 pm
Location: Tempe,Arizona

#9 Post by GTR-MAN » Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:40 am

You shouldn't need 4 springs, 3 should do. If they are all in a straight formation l l l , then put them into arrow formation /l\ . Also I'd suggest checking out the tech section at ibanezrules.com ... Rich know's his sh*t ,hands down ,no contest.

User avatar
al
Member
Member
Posts: 1562
Joined: Fri May 28, 2004 2:43 pm
Contact:

#10 Post by al » Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:05 am

is it best to have them in an arrow formation or a Straight one... - the springs that is, ive it straight and works fine....

but does one way work beter than the other

ultrazone_seeker
Member
Member
Posts: 616
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2003 5:22 am
Location: Brisbane, Oz
Contact:

#11 Post by ultrazone_seeker » Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:44 am

GTR-MAN wrote:You shouldn't need 4 springs, 3 should do. If they are all in a straight formation l l l , then put them into arrow formation /l\ . Also I'd suggest checking out the tech section at ibanezrules.com ... Rich know's his sh*t ,hands down ,no contest.
...and then you can tighten the screws to an extent as a means of fine-tuning. i assume you should keep the spring claw (plate, whatever you call it) straight by tightening/loosening both screws evenly. this might need a few adjustments, as you'll be checking each time if the spring tension is so you can tune all the strings to the correct pitch.

Vaimaster
Member
Member
Posts: 64
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:18 pm

#12 Post by Vaimaster » Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:33 am

ultrazone_seeker wrote:
GTR-MAN wrote:You shouldn't need 4 springs, 3 should do. If they are all in a straight formation l l l , then put them into arrow formation /l\ . Also I'd suggest checking out the tech section at ibanezrules.com ... Rich know's his sh*t ,hands down ,no contest.
...and then you can tighten the screws to an extent as a means of fine-tuning. i assume you should keep the spring claw (plate, whatever you call it) straight by tightening/loosening both screws evenly. this might need a few adjustments, as you'll be checking each time if the spring tension is so you can tune all the strings to the correct pitch.
Yes, you can tighten and loosen the screws, but I wouldn't reccomend doing it to tune the guitar. The screws are kind of left to be messed with upon setup, and occasionally, for some pitch adjustments, but that is what the machine heads and fine tuners are for. With all of those tuning devices, you should be able to get spot on with just those, that is why I would just leave the springs alone, as means of pitch adjustment that it.

Real_Confusions
Member
Member
Posts: 918
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2005 10:47 am
Location: Conway, AR
Contact:

#13 Post by Real_Confusions » Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:42 am

I got everything fixed, now. Thanks a lot for the advice.

Post Reply