I <3 Fender

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
Real_Confusions

#31 Post by Real_Confusions » Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:18 pm

Jra2217 wrote:
Real_Confusions wrote:
Bold_As_Love wrote:Its a guitar, they all have six strings. Shut up and play!
One of mine has seven. :lol:
yeah i have that has 7 too.
Cool.

miker

#32 Post by miker » Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:54 pm

I got a Gibson SG... a Jem 7VWH... (among a few others) and I just broke down and ordered an EJ stratocaster...

always wanted a Fender... but have only liked vintage ones. This one should be close to vintage I imagine.

Real_Confusions

#33 Post by Real_Confusions » Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:57 pm

miker wrote:I got a Gibson SG... a Jem 7VWH... (among a few others) and I just broke down and ordered an EJ stratocaster...

always wanted a Fender... but have only liked vintage ones. This one should be close to vintage I imagine.

Yeah, his new Strats are as close to vintage as it gets (besides vintage). You can read a cool article with him in the new Guitar One magazine. He talks about his new Strats trying to recreate what Leo Fender intended.

Today is Leo Fender's birthday!

miker

#34 Post by miker » Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:15 pm

That's pretty cool. I'm gonna have to look that article up... If Eric Johnson didn't make a signature model... I prolly wouldn't a got a strat. I kinda been wanting one (second only to a Jem) since I heard he was gonna come out with a guitar he helped design. Of all the "new" Fender strat models... I keep gravitating to Eric's model.

Steve Vai is prolly my favorite guitar player overall... but Eric Johnson is way up there too. They don't call him the "Tone Ranger" for nuthin.'

I expect this particular strat will be second only to my Jem (no offense to Eric intended) -- more just personal preference and the instruments' abilities for their respective musical styles.

Supposed to be back in stock on the 15th of this month... we'll see.

miker

#35 Post by miker » Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:35 am

TonyMacalpine wrote:...fender guitars in the 70's and much of the 80's SSSSUUUUUUUCCCCCCCKKKKKKKEEEDD.
Oh man... ain't that the truth? ...what sorry blocks of wood they cranked out in that time. If you compare a late 50's or 60's guitar to these pieces of crap... it's like totally different guitars. Even just holding them, there is an immensely different feel.

Dunno about 90's strats... never went back to them after the CBS days when Leo left and the strats hit the fan. But prices for 50's and 60's strats are just insane. I would have loved one... but the prices just make it so that ain't gonna happen (kinda why I shy away from Les Pauls too, heh).

Eric's anal retentive attention to detail and his collaboration with Fender brings me back to look at these guitars. I have more faith in Eric lending his name to the guitar... he's gotta be pretty happy with the result to do that... and that's good enough for me. yah.

TonyMacalpine

#36 Post by TonyMacalpine » Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:04 pm

the new strats are pretty good, the shred guitars really steped up the workmanship game in guitar making, so fender has had to remain competitive while maintaining its old feel. because of how their quality has fluxuated, strats have had to go back to original's and begin progressing from there. I once played a 57 original strat and was floored and i found a very similar feel in the strat i bought. An american delux v-neck (two tone sunburst, looks almost exactly like the ej but with some modern nuances). I cant say that it is surpassed by any ibanez's that ive played, jems and all, in terms of playability and that sorta thing. Ibanez's just more tricked out with all the modern do-dads. fender are what they are, some people can get what they want out of them others cant (those are the ones who diss them as crap). dont hate, appreciate.

Logic

#37 Post by Logic » Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:17 pm

I wanna Strat!.. :(

Ryan Layton
Banned

#38 Post by Ryan Layton » Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:50 am

:D

finally, the thread has become what i intended it to be

anyway, in a couple of months, i should have a new fender. i'll post pics when i get it

Logic

#39 Post by Logic » Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:11 pm

Ryan Layton wrote::D

finally, the thread has become what i intended it to be

anyway, in a couple of months, i should have a new fender. i'll post pics when i get it
What? Me wanting a Strat?? :wink:

jc8glp1hu
Newcomer

#40 Post by jc8glp1hu » Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:08 pm

I bought a 50th anniversary strat about a year ago .. I rarely play it but when I pick it up it has a great great feel to it. I would really like to get my hands on a real nice tele .. but that won't happen for quite a long time.

My favorite brand of guitars are Ibanez, Gibson, and Fender. What can I say, I like them all. They all sound different and play different to me .. but I enjoy each one of them.

j1mi_h3ndrix

#41 Post by j1mi_h3ndrix » Mon Aug 15, 2005 5:14 pm

i like how strats look.. cause they're so like classic.. jimi, claption, malmsteen

but i hate how they feel to play...

but whatever floats your boat

j1mi_h3ndrix

#42 Post by j1mi_h3ndrix » Mon Aug 15, 2005 5:14 pm

i like how strats look.. cause they're so like classic.. jimi, claption, malmsteen

but i hate how they feel to play...

but whatever floats your boat

Gastric Sumo

#43 Post by Gastric Sumo » Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:01 am

90's strats are good. I had a 91' that I just had to sell because of financial difficulties. I'll buy another one as soon as I can afford one. I think the EJ model is the one I'll probably get since it is made of alder instead of ash. Ash is a great warmer sounding wood, but I think alder is better for strats since it goes so well with the chimy sound of fender single coils. I played fenders for the last 15 years, and when I finally got my jem, my first thought was "this thing feels chinsy" but I have since learned the streangths of the jem, but to me they are equal. I miss the radiused neck of my strat whenever I play my jem, but for tapping theres no comparison- it's all jem.

Ryan Layton
Banned

#44 Post by Ryan Layton » Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:01 am

Check out my new Telecaster in the "My New Guitar (Pics Inside)" Thread!