I <3 Fender

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
Ryan Layton
Banned

I <3 Fender

#1 Post by Ryan Layton » Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:16 pm

If you like fender guitars and/or amps, talk about it here. Post pictures of your fender gear and celebrate having some of the most versital equiptment available.

kpxmikey89

#2 Post by kpxmikey89 » Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:31 pm

fenders are aesome
i liek them kuz there classy and so original

i prefer ibanezes but fender is liek the classic thing

it reminds me of hendrix, malmsteen, clapton, SRV, eric johnson, etc..

j.arledge

#3 Post by j.arledge » Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:35 pm

thier tube amps are nice, i like the devile and a few others, they all have the fender clean and the devile supprised me that it had as much gain as it did, i though it just had an overdrive channle but it has the red distortion channle that gets that classic tube crunch sound down good.

like i said though i am not much for thier guitars, i like the neck on the 72 tele custom, it fits my hand well i just didn't like much else.

Big Bad Bill

#4 Post by Big Bad Bill » Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:30 am

Fenders? :roll: Like Levis 501s, Gap clothing and Nike trainers-you're paying for a myth constructed by advertising people, when the goods are actually made cheaply in far eastern countries-often with inferior quality materials. In particular, I find the whole 'Relic' line an example of extreme cynical exploitation of people with little sense and too much money!

Or maybe they're really great guitars! :wink: I have one- bought in the early 80s when I believed the hype and was very young and I have to say it's a very average guitar and I never play it.

jmchambers5

#5 Post by jmchambers5 » Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:43 am

I disagree with the above post. Sure, the name is a big part of Fender guitars, but I've played some great guitars and basses in my time, and no matter what, there's a certain vibe that comes from a good strat or j-bass that imitators can't touch. Especially the vintage fenders, but the ones they make today still have that vibe. And their amps are still quality, and the vintage ones can't be beat in my opinion.

It's not about the name, it's the vibe. Gibson on the other hand :roll:

Vegas_Blues

#6 Post by Vegas_Blues » Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:23 am

I'm a big Fender fan myself. My favorites are their 50's and 60's model guitars.
Gibson on the other hand
Whether you like Gibsons or not, they are crafted with some of the finest materials....very high quality, and I'd gladly pay for the name to enjoy such a fine instrument. (Same with Fender)

Ryan Layton
Banned

#7 Post by Ryan Layton » Fri Aug 05, 2005 12:25 pm

I'm in the process of making payments on a reissue '69 Tele. It's the most beautiful guitar I have ever seen and it plays like nothing else.

After that, I'm going to complement it with a Fender Deluxe amp.

Big Bad Bill

#8 Post by Big Bad Bill » Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:44 pm

Don't you think it's interesting that when Steve wanted a good Strat sound he didn't use a Strat! I think it was for 'Tender Surrender' and he used either a custom made guitar or a Tokai-I can't remember which.

I feel this is very telling behaviour from somebody who is without doubt, a guitar tone and feel expert and could get his hands on any Fender Strat he wanted but chose to use some other make!

thelordofcheesecake

#9 Post by thelordofcheesecake » Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:49 pm

Big Bad Bill wrote:Don't you think it's interesting that when Steve wanted a good Strat sound he didn't use a Strat! I think it was for 'Tender Surrender' and he used either a custom made guitar or a Tokai-I can't remember which.

I feel this is very telling behaviour from somebody who is without doubt, a guitar tone and feel expert and could get his hands on any Fender Strat he wanted but chose to use some other make!
But didn't he use a real Strat for 'Hand On Heart'?

Big Bad Bill

#10 Post by Big Bad Bill » Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:52 pm

I'm not sure-I'd had to look that up. It'd certainly account for the buzzing sound on the track.

Ryan Layton
Banned

#11 Post by Ryan Layton » Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:00 pm

Don't you think it's interesting that when Steve wanted a good Strat sound he didn't use a Strat! I think it was for 'Tender Surrender' and he used either a custom made guitar or a Tokai-I can't remember which.

tone is subjective. steve (if you haven't noticed) enjoys a good bit of gain. Fenders are cleaner guitars. While shred is VERY possible, it isn't what fenders are known for.

Another thing is the number of frets. Strats don't have 24 frets and Tender Surrender requires that you have 24. that was probably his main motovation for not using a strat.

munchocruncho

#12 Post by munchocruncho » Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:06 pm

Big Bad Bill wrote:I'm not sure-I'd had to look that up. It'd certainly account for the buzzing sound on the track.
William, i love you, but SHADDAP.
THanks, ;)

jemvan

#13 Post by jemvan » Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:09 pm

Well it all depends on the fender call me crazy but the ones that are made in America and not imported from Mexico are much better. I bought a used fender American deluxe with locking tremelo in 3 tone sunburst made in Corona California. It is setup with a humbucker in the treble position and the rest was done with noiseless pickups. It does have some issues, the frets need replacement the second fret on the G string is almost totally dead and when played offers alot of buzz. Intonating the deluxe locking tremelo that fender makes has its up and down sides. For instance a wrench can fit under the trem if you hold down the bar and then adjust it but the intonation screws are held in place by another screw that is perpendicular with the intonation screws which is very hard to get to even through the back of the guitar, in short ive had problems with it. Other than those few key issues it was the guitar that enabled me to learn the most because you could hear yourself on it, like some of Vai's clean songs the Jem offers the same ability but with fender its a little different. Anyway more about the guitar it has an LSR roller nut and staggered locking tuners. The only other guitar that i have that beats it is the JEM 7VWH and the one that matches it in sound is a taylor 410 ce i got.

fyrie

#14 Post by fyrie » Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:53 pm

Dont' forget... He used a strat on "The Boy from Seattle" and "Warm Regards".

SemiShred

#15 Post by SemiShred » Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:09 pm

SV still switched to jems ... nobody remembers that ?