Lo Lo's guitar options

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
Lo Lo

Lo Lo's guitar options

#1 Post by Lo Lo » Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:42 am

First of all, I really want a JS1200, a JEM, a PRS custom and a PRS Santana I, but like most of us, I just can't afford them so this is what I did.......

I wanted a PRS Santana. So I spent two weeks looking for a mohogany bodied set neck with a flamed maple arch top. Found it with Agile guitars. Very good solid made neck and body. It has the full body, neck and head binding but with cheap hardware(pick-ups, tuners)

$269!

On Ebay I found PRS santana zebra bobbin pick-ups (neck & bridge).
$159 for both!

Found some Planet wave locking tuners with the string cutters.
$35 including shipping!

Schaller strap locks
$11.99

I also found this company that makes really good ebony truss rod covers and tuner knobs with pearl and abalone inserts in many cool patterns. Really cool pearl inserts on the ebony tuner knobs too.
I bought two pairs of the tuner knobs and truss rod covers(one set for my other guitar). 12 button and two truss covers with shipping....

$62

All-in-all I spent under $600 for a guitar that looks AND PLAYS like a $2000 guitar. And because I'm building this one simular to my other guitar(which I researched and put together to play and resemble a PRS custom 22) I have a sense of pride when I',m holding and playing it. To the point where I'd almost rather play mine than the real things.

Both these guitars were under $600. But I'm always lying and telling people that I payed much, much more. Everyone that plays my completed PRS custom 22 clone estimates it cost at $1200 and up!

My next project is a bolt-on Jem/JS1000 style. Sense I'm a stop-tail style player I would like to built a floating trem style to play with.

The point is...If you can afford the big boys...Buy them...............But if you can't afford the originals.........Build it for less! Just remember to really research your materials!

My soon to be completed Santana clone
http://artbox.inkeys.com/pictures/Ad_588_7.jpg

My PRS custom 22 clone
http://artbox.inkeys.com/pictures/Ad_588_8.jpg

Jackhammer

#2 Post by Jackhammer » Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:55 pm

Unless you're building your guitar from scratch, cheap guitars usually come with cheap wood. Thats one thing you cant change.

Lo Lo

#3 Post by Lo Lo » Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:14 am

I hear ya.....Check out the brand.....Good wood with great flamed maple top. I've been researching for a month now. They saved a little money on the hardware.

The only really good things about the doner guitar is the wood body, neck profile and frets. My plans are to replace the pickups, pots, wiring, tuners and add value with ebony tuners and truss rod cover. I already have the guitar itself, It's beautiful.

My main goal was to find a guitar doner that was made with good quality mohogany wood with a real think flamed maple top. I never cared about the things I knew I would change out i.e. pickups, tuners, etc. I was originally looking for just guitar bodies with no hardware but this was perfect for me, and that's what it's all about.....How I feel when I have this guitar on my belly......
Untouchable!!!!!!

I'll match my guitars to any guitar in tone or looks for $600 or less

Instrumentalrockrocks
Location: Rotterdam - Holland (well not really Oud-Beijerland actually but nobody knows that)

#4 Post by Instrumentalrockrocks » Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:48 am

Lo Lo wrote:I hear ya.....Check out the brand.....Good wood with great flamed maple top. I've been researching for a month now. They saved a little money on the hardware.

The only really good things about the doner guitar is the wood body, neck profile and frets. My plans are to replace the pickups, pots, wiring, tuners and add value with ebony tuners and truss rod cover. I already have the guitar itself, It's beautiful.

My main goal was to find a guitar doner that was made with good quality mohogany wood with a real think flamed maple top. I never cared about the things I knew I would change out i.e. pickups, tuners, etc. I was originally looking for just guitar bodies with no hardware but this was perfect for me, and that's what it's all about.....How I feel when I have this guitar on my belly......
Untouchable!!!!!!

I'll match my guitars to any guitar in tone or looks for $600 or less
That's so Cool man!!

Shred On :guitar