Guitar Construction - How would you do it?

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
Renge

Guitar Construction - How would you do it?

#1 Post by Renge » Mon Jul 14, 2003 2:41 am

Everyone and their pet monkey here probably knows what a Jem is. I'm just curious - what kinds of improvements would you make personally to the JEM?

Me? I'd start all over with the jem.

The neck shape is fine, but I'd go double expanding truss rod with carbon stiffening rods, 5 peice maple korina neck with a 30 degree tilt back head. Ebony fretboard, little more articulate than maple or rosewood, but because of the korina in the neck it wouldn't be over bearing. Inlay - open feild. What ever I was into. At present i'd take Japanese Kanji for the numbers and slap them into it with some sort of blue blow in the dark material. I'd scalop out frets 19-24, and instead of a 14th fret, I'd put a stainless steel, or brass retaining cupat the end of the fret board, probably brass, so it wouldn't mess with the pickups any.

I'd use a basswood and kornia body with a maple top. The reason is basswood itself isn't very structurally sound for use in a bolt on neck - which I'd also change even given the multi wood combo for hte body construction. The woods used would give the jem a waaaaay more tone to work with, more full bodied, but still versitle enough to get anything you could want. Korina is like the holy grail of tonal woods, and basswood has a very even response. Maple though for the top, it's just a top wood *l* - very pretty if you find a good figured or flamed top. Tonally it's pretty bright, which would balance out nicely with the basswould back and korina middle.

I'd still go floyd rose, theres just nothing better at what it does, but I'd like to make a hard tail string-thru-body version as well.

I'd change the way the neck joins to the body as well. The all-access bolt-on concept is ingenous, but it's structurally not so sound, Vai's guitar EVO is starting to crack... not good. I'd use the set-through body construction method with an extra long neck tennon. Downside is you can't adjust the neck at the body - so the usuall les paul problems will factor in here. Not as much though because of the 5 peice, carbon stiffening, double expanding truss rod neck though - thing is solid, almost as steady as a graphite composite neck like a Parker Fly.

Controls I'd try to keep it minimal, one volume, one tone, and I'd custome wire a harness so you could just clip it in and out pots went bad, so instead of resoldering, you just buy a volume tone combo thing from ibanez, and click the sucker in and you're done, no muss no fuss. Then I'd make the cavity for that as minimal as possible, and I'd move the controls close to the input jack so it's not such a huge tunnel of wood missing.

The trem cavity would be tighter too, and I'd coat the springs and trem setters in some sorta gel pack to keep the extra noise to a minimum if not render it moot completely.

I'd have the guitar come stock with the truss rod cavity, pickup, trem, and control/output cavitys already magnetically sheilded, keep the operation noise down to a minimum as well.

Picks, JB in the bridge (Seymour Duncan) and an Evolution (DiMarzio) in the Neck. I'd deep-6 the middle pickup, I never use mine. If needed, you could split the JB and the Evo and make it a 3 way toggle (LP style) to get something close to that sound if needed or wanted. (I find very little use for a middle pickup, but thats just me, someone may be all about the muddy tones, never know).

Finishes - bah, thats an open feild, personally I'd love to see a book matched flame maple top with a blue burst on it.

Thats just what I would do. What about you guys?

shader

#2 Post by shader » Mon Jul 14, 2003 11:49 am

Mine would make coffee and do my taxes

anuj

#3 Post by anuj » Mon Jul 14, 2003 1:40 pm

you could get someone to build what ya like, you know? :)

that's what steve did ;-)

~A

Renge

Heh, no.

#4 Post by Renge » Tue Jul 15, 2003 12:05 am

No way. I'll build it my self ^______^