Koa Wood

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
Plisk

Koa Wood

#1 Post by Plisk » Sun Jul 06, 2003 2:38 pm

I recently posted a, well, post regarding the sound characteristics of acrylic, but now I call upon you again. Does anyone know where I can information on this interesting hawaiian wood called Koa?

Given To Fly

#2 Post by Given To Fly » Sun Jul 06, 2003 4:00 pm

The Tom Anderson website has good wood info. I think Koa is on there. The only thing I know is that is costs a whole bunch.

Project Guitar
Newcomer

#3 Post by Project Guitar » Sun Jul 06, 2003 6:04 pm

From Warmoth:

Koa (Acacia Koa): This very beautiful wood comes exclusively from Hawaii making supply very limited. It's weight varies somewhat from medium to heavy and is an excellent tone wood for bass guitar bodies. Koa has a warm sound similar to mahogany, but with a little more brightness. Like walnut, this wood may be oiled, but generally will look its best sprayed clear. Koa is sometimes available in flame figure.

Vaijem777

#4 Post by Vaijem777 » Mon Jul 07, 2003 12:40 pm

I had a killer all-Koa Strat that I'd put together from Warmoth parts. Definitely one of my favorite Strat-type guitars that I've had. The body was a 2-piece flamed Koa Strat body that was absolutely gorgeous. It was cleared. The neck was oiled flamed Koa with an ebony board and abalone dot inlays. The sound was, as their description states, similar to mahogany in its warmth, but with a little more snap. It wasn't only gorgeous, but sounded great too. I can't even remember why I sold it, other than it was undoubtedly to buy something else. ;)

greg

#5 Post by greg » Sat Jul 12, 2003 1:26 pm

Go to www.satriani.com and www.courseofevolution.com, and on their forums, you'll find a guy called Graham Shackleford, going by the name of Stu Clone, who has just got a custom Carvin bass made of Koa. You could ask him about it.