The usual Battle between..

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
StoleN GuitaR

JEM7v's and JS1000's

ok guys.
this is a common problem, you save up enough money for a new guitar(thats good) and you have trouble finding which one to buy.
im torn between the JEMv7WH and the JS1000BP.

can anyone help me in choosing.

thing is
a JEM is $4999.99 here and the JS is $3899.99

i would be able to get the JEM for $4000 because im friends with the people in the music shop :-P im a Regular there..
BTW i live in New Zealand.

next question is, after i purchase it, what should i get done to it.(eg. check-up wise, customs, action, trem etc etc)
weapon

StoleN GuitaR wrote:JEM7v's and JS1000's

ok guys.
this is a common problem, you save up enough money for a new guitar(thats good) and you have trouble finding which one to buy.
im torn between the JEMv7WH and the JS1000BP.

can anyone help me in choosing.

thing is
a JEM is $4999.99 here and the JS is $3899.99

i would be able to get the JEM for $4000 because im friends with the people in the music shop :-P im a Regular there..
BTW i live in New Zealand.

next question is, after i purchase it, what should i get done to it.(eg. check-up wise, customs, action, trem etc etc)
Don't get a Jem. Satriani's tone is MUCH better. Unless you have the chops of doom, go with the JS. WHy not get a JS 1200 though? Can't be much more, and it's got the new PAF Joe in the neck for a more 'tubular' Gibson type neck sound.
Cacophony

Uh weapon, sorry to tell you but tone is in your fingers/amp/effects etc, not just the guitar ;). anyway to answer your question - try out both guitars if possible! Anyway my choice would be the jem, simply because i have liked them since i first saw one :)
SRVoodoo

I say go with the 7vwh
I really hate the input jack placement on the JS models also, with the Jem, you'll have that beautiful vine inlay on the fretboard.

the Evolution pickups sound awsome through ANY AMP.
don't worry about getting Vai or Satch's tone because nobody but they can get it. Tone IS in your fingers...well, the right equipment helps alot but try playing "Hand On Heart" THE RIGHT WAY & you'll understand what we mean.

I'm not exactly sure what bridges are coming on the JS models these days but if it's not some form of "Edge", it's probably crap!
and I mean only the "Original Edge", "Lo-Pro Edge" and "Edge-Pro"
There's a new one out too but I dont' think anybody's seen it yet.
it's supposed to do for the original edge what the "Edge Pro" did for the "lo-pro"...make sense?

I have a 2003 7vwh with an Edge Pro and although I wish it had the Original Edge on it, I still love it to death!
It, and my RG570 are the best guitars I've ever played. period.
ultrazone_seeker

Stolen... (SG? lol) what style do you do mainly, can i ask? they're both pretty versatile, but they both kind of specialize too to an extent.
Bono

Cacophony wrote:Uh weapon, sorry to tell you but tone is in your fingers/amp/effects etc, not just the guitar ;). anyway to answer your question - try out both guitars if possible! Anyway my choice would be the jem, simply because i have liked them since i first saw one :)
I totally agree...

While I prefer Satchs tone to Vais, I do not get on with the Ibanez JS at all...I really did not like it that much to be honest. The Jem, on the other hand, is probably the most comfortable guitar I have ever played. Definatley try before you buy. But my vote goes for the jem :)
dave_777

Try Before you buy.
As much as I like Jems (I have 2), the JS is by far the most comfortable guitar for me to play. They are also pretty much as versitle as each other, so give em both a drive around the block before you commit.
Are we screwed in this country or what for quality instruments.

Dave.
StoleN GuitaR

ultrazone_seeker : I play Lead for my band which is mostly Punk/ Alternative-Rock. and i play mostly Metal and alternute tunings sort of stuff(i use my fixed bridge epiphone for the different tunings. floating bridges are a b**ch for different tunings). my style is mixed.. i like playing lead to blues.. thats a real kick and fun to jam round with. but metal and rock will always be my roots..

dave_777 : yes, in new zealand we have the worst selection. i seriously can't believe that JEM's over here are so dam expensive. it would take me atleast a year to save up for a jem. and maybe a LITTLE bit less for a JS.

I personally love the shape and feel of the JS's because of te way they curve and fit to your body when you play sitting/standing.

i have never played a JEM7V before, although i do own a UV777BK which is very similar. I've also played a JEM77BFP(blue flower pattern) and i love the work done on it, fret board, Monkey grip and the Lions claw are real Merit points for the JEM.

but the problem is, i cant find way's of making a real good tone from my UV with the 5-way pickup selections.(for lead) and the same with that JEM77BFP i played. i've become so accustomed to the HH-HH pickup selection instead of the HH-S-HH pickups..

right now i use my UV as my main axe.. through a Marshall Valvestate100 with 2 Valvestate quads(go the ful stack!!) with my UV through my ToneLabs SE Effects Unit(Massive multi effects pedal) then connected to my Amp.

So thats where i am.

right now im 55 : 45 with the Jem : JS ....so its hard to choose.. although i've wanted a jem for ages.. the JS is considerbly smaller. in size, weight(slightly) and price.
ultrazone_seeker

my word shouldn't be final by any means, but it sounds to me that you're going for the JS on a fair few things. actually just let me look again and weigh it all up...

Jem:
possibly better for metal?
fretboard, Lion's Claw (what is that, btw? the trem cavity?), monkey grip... (is this all purely aesthetic?)
might be a bit better than your UV with what you're talking about... see how you go with your lead on a Jem i say.

JS:
more appealing body shape?
generally acknowledged as a better blues guitar.
2 'buckers with coil taps, as you're more used to (and is the high pass filter something you'd go for?).
cheaper. :D

that's what i can see so far. however as i said, don't let my word be final on anything as i'm no expert on any of this.

another thing that comes to mind for me is the necks on both of these babies (and just all around playability for you). any preferences there?
EyesOfFire0221

If u cant decide on which guitar to buy do wat i do .. buy both guitars lol
GuitarStrings

EyesOfFire0221 wrote:If u cant decide on which guitar to buy do wat i do .. buy both guitars lol
I was about to say the same thing... :lol:
StoleN GuitaR

EyesOfFire0221 wrote:If u cant decide on which guitar to buy do wat i do .. buy both guitars lol
id probly end up doing that in a couple years..

but im trying to decide what to get right now(in the next 6-12 months)

I'm thinking, scince i love the sound of EVO's.. although i've never played a 7V i still love the tone of the JEM from other players..

and i love the feel of satriani's guitar because of its curvature.because it just feels right to hold/play.

but i guess I'd have to convince the music store to bring in a JEM7V WH/SBL although the SBL is outa production.. here in NZ we can still get them
miker

If you buy a Jem 7VWH, you will have no regrets.

I am VERY happy with mine.
Birdman

After seeing Satch live last night, I disagree with the tone opinions. Satch's tone is good, but over 3 f'kin hours, it's just TOO much overdrive and that in my eyes, HIDES things. Steve's tone is driven yet still clean and transparent. Much better I rekon, but anyway.

Play them both first and see which one you like. We can say whatever we like, but you buy the one we say and you hate it? what's the point? 8)