please help me with my tremolo?

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
DTW

Hi, anyone there who got time to help me?
My problem is, back when I bought my first guitar, that was a KH-502 Ltd signature model (way too expensive, but I had no clue back then).
It was sold with a 'Floyd Rose licensed' tremolo system. I thought it was cool. Now some years later I have bought an Ibanez guitar (EDR470EX) for/with my student, and it has edge pro II. I was amazed, it works so smooth and you can be way more precise with this termolo. You don't need much force to move the bar.
On contrary with my floyd rose I really have to pull/push hard to move it. And there is even a -plain washer- missing, so I can move the bar without changing the sound.
To make it short:
I don't care if its a signature, I don't have money for a new guitar, I like its sound, so I want to buy an Edge-tremolo and use it with my KH.

do you know if this works?
which tremolo do you suggest? (I want one which I can plug,not screw)
what's the reason for my tremolo needing so much strengh to move, is it really the tremolo-system, or is it the setting or something like that?

I'm trying to play 'the Riddle' and its really the pain with this Tremolo.crap I have now, I would really appreciate any help which helps me being able to play this wonderful song (its not the skills :p its the tremolo system)

-Dave
Cacophony

Thats really strange, my edge pro 2 is really stiff. Do you think you could get some picks of his trem and his setup for me? that might help me out too :).
Allen Garrow

What string guage are you using? The edge pro is going make the F.R. feel like a turd by comparison. The Floyd needs to be set level, you may be able to pull a spring out and still maintain level and tune.

Check floyd rose for a tech service number or email. http://www.floydrose.com/main.html

~A
Ibz_Guitarist
Newcomer

You should just save money for several months for buying an Original Floyd Rose man, it's a way better trem than the Edge Pro II
DTW

First of all, thx for the quck replies.
Well, the strings I'm using are 0.10-0.46, same as my student does.
If I take away one spring, the whole tremolosystem comes out of the guitar way too much. I am using 4 springs, that makes my trem. lie even with the body. With a little finetuning, it even stays in tune.
@cacophony:
ok, I'll take some pics.
@Allan Garrow:
thx for the service-adress
@Ibz_guitarist:
So an Original (not Licensed like mine?) is even better than that? How come, what are the benefits?

thank you all for the support, I really appreciate it

-Dave

Naffis-kun

People say that Edge Pro II is the best..
Cacophony

Well why does my EPII feel like forcing a brick up and down whenever i play :?
sindlei

Cacophony wrote:Well why does my EPII feel like forcing a brick up and down whenever i play :?
because the ep1 is better :lol:
Cacophony

yeah i know the edge 1 is better, but Naffis-kun thinks the edge II is better even though it is made cheaply and is inferior :(.
DTW

So, which Trmolo do you suggest I should take?
Or more importantly, which one can I take?
Isn't it like not every trem fits into every guitar?
Sorry, I am so blank about this, pls help if you know more.
@Cacophony:
I'll take the pictures today :wink:

cheers

-DTW

ax murderer

if you're lucky, i think an Ibanez Edge (not lo pro edge or edge pro) bridge, as seen on steve's EVO should fit an original floyd rose cavity.

well so i've read anyway, i've never tried it myself. see if you can borrow one from someone briefly just to see if it works, as i'm not sure it's a guaranteed fit.

i've played the guitar you own too, and i have to say that compared to my Jem7vwh (lo pro edge), the trem actually feels terrible. if you can get an edge in, you should be fine.
Cacophony

DTW wrote:
So, which Trmolo do you suggest I should take?
Or more importantly, which one can I take?
Isn't it like not every trem fits into every guitar?
Sorry, I am so blank about this, pls help if you know more.
@Cacophony:
I'll take the pictures today :wink:

cheers

-DTW

Thanks man.............anyway for your problem, i suggest spending a few hours in a guitar shop trying out loads of different trem systems, that is the only sure fire way of getting what you want :).

Be Excellent to each other!! ;)
Lucky

The Edge has a larger baseplate than a standard floyd. You could very easily run into fit problems...people have had issues trying to fit an Edge into a 555, I'm not sure how much room you have to play with on that ESP.

I'd say the best thing to do is try going to three springs and a 9-42 set for a silkier, smoother feel from your bridge. The more tension created by your strings, the more opposing tension you'll need from your springs to keep the bridge in equilibrium. This creates a "stiff" feel to the bar.

As far as the slop in your bar/baseplate connection, you should be able to find replacement parts at either your local store or a place like stewmac. Take a look here... http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_ta ... Parts.html
Last edited by Lucky on Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
DTW

Hey Lucky, thx for the tipps, I will try the string-setting then. But I think my trem sucks either way. And also thanks for the link. Its a rather good page I guess :)
I think I just have to go to a shop where I can try different trems. I won't waste my money for a bad Trem again.
Thx for all the support everyone :D

4Cacophony:
hope these help you. He uses 4 springs of those of the original set.
Cacophony

Thats his edge 2? thought they only came in black :lol: . Anyway, thanks alot......and you say his is springy and smooth? :) damn somethings wrong with mine then.