Cheap/expensive JEM

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
hannes
Newcomer

Cheap/expensive JEM

#1 Post by hannes » Sun Jun 22, 2003 8:52 am

hi just took a look in an online musicstore and found two diffrent types of jems , cheap and expensive ones. wheres the difference between them. one for example cost 1200 € the oter one 2200 €.of course i could search the internet for more info but i think here are some freaks who could answer faster ;)
thanks

jmchambers5

#2 Post by jmchambers5 » Sun Jun 22, 2003 10:27 am

could you be more specific on what 2 types of jems that you were looking at? Was one a 555 and one a 7vwh?

greg

#3 Post by greg » Sun Jun 22, 2003 12:45 pm

There are actually quite a lot of different types of jems at quite a few different prices - mostly quite expensive. Go to www.ibanez.com to see them.

hannes
Newcomer

#4 Post by hannes » Mon Jun 23, 2003 4:49 pm

yeah the one i saw was the
IBANEZ
JEM 555 White
Steve Vai Signature-Modell
for about 1200€
and the other one was the
IBANEZ
JEM 7 V White
Steve Vai Signature-Modell
for about 2300€
why is there such a big price difference? just because of the wood and the frets?

RAI

#5 Post by RAI » Mon Jun 23, 2003 5:51 pm

hannes wrote:why is there such a big price difference? just because of the wood and the frets?

Overall quality.
The 555 has a low-end trem that probably won't hold up to 1% of the whammy abuse Steve does, it only has the vine inlay up til the 12th fret, after that it's just dots.
It's made in Korea (I think) vs. the rest of the JEMs are made in Japan.
Like most people say, you're probably better off getting a high-end RG, than the 555 JEM Jr.

But if you have the opportunity, try them out for yourself. Only your own opinion matters.

RAI

#6 Post by RAI » Mon Jun 23, 2003 6:07 pm

Oh, and there is also a 333 series, which only exists for one reason, and one reason only...
To battle piracy.
Steve and Ibanez decided to release that in the hopes of getting people to stop buying the poorly constructed rip-off copies that are widely available on the Asian market.
Even though the 333 isn't exactly a "quality" instrument, it's still better than the other junk they're trying to pass as "true" JEMs.
Hell, those things barely even look like a JEM, but people still buy them thinking they're getting the real thing.

Quite sad.....

Reaper

#7 Post by Reaper » Mon Jun 23, 2003 6:10 pm

RAI wrote:
hannes wrote:why is there such a big price difference? just because of the wood and the frets?

Overall quality.
The 555 has a low-end trem that probably won't hold up to 1% of the whammy abuse Steve does, it only has the vine inlay up til the 12th fret, after that it's just dots.
Like most people say, you're probably better off getting a high-end RG, than the 555 JEM Jr.

But if you have the opportunity, try them out for yourself. Only your own opinion matters.

The trem issue has been significantly decreased due to the new Edge Pro models. It used to be that the Jem7 series had the Edge (or Lopro), and the 555 had the TRS (which was not known for it's quality). But yes, overall quality, pickup quality (Ibanez pu's vs. Dimarzios), and other factors decreased the quality so the price isn't just given at random.

hannes
Newcomer

#8 Post by hannes » Mon Jun 23, 2003 11:54 pm

thanks for reply. helped me alot people ;)
but i dont know if my playing is a 2200€ guitar worth it....:)

i also played in this store a PRS mc carthy...i was blown away by its playability...is it the same with the expensive jems?...it just felt so easy to play around und bend the notes :)

Blue_Powder

#9 Post by Blue_Powder » Tue Jun 24, 2003 5:57 am

RAI wrote:

Overall quality.

Actually, if you MUST have a JEM and can tolerate he half-neck vine inlay the JEM 555s can be outfitted with one of the OFR (Original Floys Rose) trems without any modifications. The pickups are a different matter, but since most folks like myself are pretty bent on our own custom combo anyway this puts a Jem in your hands reasonably for 6 bills used.

Undoubtedly the RGs are a better bang for the buck; no one's cashing checks off of the name on it. But some folks just gotta have a Jem...

Blue_Powder

#10 Post by Blue_Powder » Tue Jun 24, 2003 6:02 am

RAI wrote:Oh, and there is also a 333 series, which only exists for one reason, and one reason only...
To battle piracy.
Steve and Ibanez decided to release that in the hopes of getting people to stop buying the poorly constructed rip-off copies that are widely available on the Asian market.
Even though the 333 isn't exactly a "quality" instrument, it's still better than the other junk they're trying to pass as "true" JEMs.
Hell, those things barely even look like a JEM, but people still buy them thinking they're getting the real thing.

Quite sad.....

Now this seems weird to me. I've been hunting up JEMS on e(vil)Bay for a long time and have never come across anyone trying to pan off anything that looked even remotely like a knock-off.

I don't doubt that there are frauds on the market.....but to what degree? From my experiences it doesn't seem huge enough to merit an entirely new line for production.

Has anyone else seen alot of frauds? As someone who's got a pretty good eye at spotting fakes I'd love to hear about some folks experiences and see some pics of knock-offs.

Reaper

#11 Post by Reaper » Tue Jun 24, 2003 6:43 am

This is what Steve had to say over on Jemsite...

Himself wrote:Hey folks,
I just got threaded to death reading about the Jem 333, I feel like a sweater. I guess I owe you an explanation. Close to a year ago Ibanez informed me that the bootleg situation in China was horrific. One of the most bootlegged guitars is the Jem and the people that bootleg them make incredibly bad pieces of stuff sticks with 6 strings on them. Guess what, they bear my name too. There is virtually no way to stop them so we thought, what if we introduced a Jem style guitar that could compete with the pricing of these hideous imposters. The guitar would be made as well as it can given the pricing it needed to compete with. I told Ibanez that first they needed to make me three prototypes to try out and then the guitars would only be available in those bootlegged markets. The one that was given away in Canada was one of the prototypes I approved. Another was given to Duncan Plexico (a friend) and I still have one left but I don’t remember where I put it, Oh well.
After playing these prototypes I thought they were actually not bad for what they were. They are far superior to the things that are being made by those desperate thieves that are ripping off my intellectual property, turning it into a heap of poot and putting my name on it.
The Jem333 is only available in those markets, I forgot which markets but I think it’s China and Indonesia. I will check that and get back to you, actually, Anthony will.
As a result of introducing this competitively priced ax, it has been thwarting the sales of the imposter instruments. Mission accomplished. Now when people in those territories want a Jem style guitar but only have the equivalent of $112.00 USD (I need to check that too… I mean Anthony does, (As soon as he gets his head out of my ass, just kidding) they can actually get a half way decent guitar. It will never be available at retail in the Western Hemisphere, trust me.
Thanks
Steve Vai

We don't see most of this, but apparently it does go on to a significant enough degree that Ibanez decided to do something.

shader

#12 Post by shader » Tue Jun 24, 2003 7:00 am

At least there's a company battling this constructivly instead of sitting around whining about it..