EVH Wolfgang

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
shredace

EVH Wolfgang

#1 Post by shredace » Fri Jun 20, 2003 10:13 am

I'm looking into getting an EVH Wolfgang or a Gibson Les Paul or Explorer, what do you guys think? Has anyone here played a Wolfgang,
I've only played one briefly and I liked it. What do you all think?

templing

#2 Post by templing » Fri Jun 20, 2003 10:41 pm

it seemed small for me and the neck sorta fat for me i like fast necks but thats just me. we have them in the store i teach in all the time. they just never turned me on not sure why. :D

MEX

#3 Post by MEX » Sat Jun 21, 2003 12:24 am

yes the neck was kinda fat, visually i liked it, and the tone was nice, but the guitar was small.

the thing is... what do you play? what kinda music styles? skill level? pro? probably if you told us we could throw a better opinion

tnx

Fabe

#4 Post by Fabe » Sat Jun 21, 2003 3:23 pm

I actually have a Wolfgang Special QT. I love this guitar, it's more than just the back-up for my JEM. It has a really smooth neck finish and in my opinion is just as fast as the JEM neck. If you compare it to the JEM in general, sure it's different, the neck is fatter but still very comfortable to play (at least with my shovels of hands :lol:). The sound is amazing, considering the prize and the fact that the QT is built in Korea (only the Special QT). Top notch little guitar. And yes it seems kinda small, but that's mainly because of the headstock I think.

Try it out more, use it, abuse it, get comfortable with it, you'll love it,

Fabe

ardellh
Newcomer

#5 Post by ardellh » Sat Jun 21, 2003 5:13 pm

love these guitars + they are some of the best balanced guitars I've ever played - the weight distribution is tits!!

shredace

#6 Post by shredace » Sat Jun 21, 2003 9:28 pm

ardellh wrote:love these guitars + they are some of the best balanced guitars I've ever played - the weight distribution is tits!!
Well, I can't say I've ever played a guitar with tits, but I appreciate your reviews I'm definatley checking the Wolfgang seriously.

mange

#7 Post by mange » Sun Jun 22, 2003 6:04 am

Fabe wrote:I actually have a Wolfgang Special QT. I love this guitar, it's more than just the back-up for my JEM. It has a really smooth neck finish and in my opinion is just as fast as the JEM neck. If you compare it to the JEM in general, sure it's different, the neck is fatter but still very comfortable to play (at least with my shovels of hands :lol:). The sound is amazing, considering the prize and the fact that the QT is built in Korea (only the Special QT). Top notch little guitar. And yes it seems kinda small, but that's mainly because of the headstock I think.

Try it out more, use it, abuse it, get comfortable with it, you'll love it,

Fabe
Word! :D

bob mac

#8 Post by bob mac » Sun Jun 22, 2003 6:54 am

I have a Wolfgang Standard Archtop and love it!! Yes the neck is a bit fatter than a Jem, but not a tree-trunk like a LP. Very smooth, and fast. It's also the same scale as a Jem (251/2) The guitar is small because it was made to fit Eddie (he's small comparied to Vai) Now lets talk about TONE!! aahh the TONE...Just plug this baby into a Marshall and wala!! But my advice is to play them both and decide what one YOU like better. You won't be dissapointed with a Wolfgang I,ll tell you that...... :wink:

5thD

#9 Post by 5thD » Wed Jun 25, 2003 1:31 pm

I have owned a couple of wolfgangs and they rule! My only complaint is the guitar seems tiny and I feel like I'm a giant when I'm playing one but they sound awesome, Wolfgangs also clean up about the best of any guitar I've tried, turn doen the Volume knob to around 5 or 6 with a high gain amp and get ready for some serious tone!

They play very well and are also very well balanced

Given To Fly

#10 Post by Given To Fly » Mon Jun 30, 2003 6:59 pm

I played a Wolfgang and thought it was a great guitar. Not my favorite but that's ok. Actually I really liked the neck. It was very different from my RG but still played great and I love maple fingerboards. I would take a Wolfgang over an Explorer for sure and probably over the Les Paul when it came to handing over the money. :D

shredace

#11 Post by shredace » Sat Jul 05, 2003 3:14 pm

Well, since you all have such great feedback on the Wolfgang, anyone want to trade their Wolfgang for a Jem7DSY? If so, e-mail me at straycatstrut59@hotmail.com

eyebnez

#12 Post by eyebnez » Thu Jul 10, 2003 11:11 am

To me the wolfgang is way to small. Like stated earlier one feels like a giant when playing it. (And not to sound to harsh on them)The necks are kinda' like baseball bats. Very overrated. The Ernie ball musicman is a much better instrument,IMO :lol:

claypole

#13 Post by claypole » Mon Jul 14, 2003 8:01 am

The Wolfy is my second favourite guitar - after my lurvely Jem - and I do like the neck...it is a comfy guitar and plays real well. Built for speed as is the Jem

I'd highly recommend it - it's a very versatile unit aswell as good lookin!

eyebnez

#14 Post by eyebnez » Wed Aug 06, 2003 9:15 am

For those interested, Musicians Friend has the Wolfgang on sale for just $599.99 or $600.00 if you prefer.
Just thought I'd pass that along :D

shader

#15 Post by shader » Wed Aug 06, 2003 9:34 am

Isn't it a "Wolfgang SE" or something?

I know PRS has the Mark Tremonit model at $3000 dollars with the "SE" edition at only $700, does PEavy do the same?