list your non-Vai favorite band/musicians

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
soren

Okay, i'm sure that there are other topics similar to this one somewhere down the line, but i'd love to get a scan of what other Vai fans listen to. I was thinking that everyone could just list out what other bands/musicians they love, see if there are any ones that resonante (no pun intended, heh). Of course there's going to be tons of Satch fans, Yngwie fans etcetera, but i was happy to see other U2 fans in here. See, i love that band to pieces, but they're quite different musically from Steve. Interesting stuff. So if you all don't mind, here we go...

U2, Pink Floyd, Metallica, Jimi Hendrix, Marilyn Manson, Nine Inch Nails, Stratovarius, Lacrimosa, Joe Satriani, Yngwie Malmsteen, The Cure, Depeche Mode, Buckethead, Eric Johnson, B. B. King, Johnny Cash, Leonard Cohen, Roger Waters, The Eagles, David Bowie, Smashing Pumpkins, Vast, Lost Horizon, Nightwish, Stabbing Westward

Of course, i also love a bunch of classical, spanish flamenco and other styles, but i figured rock music was a broad enough category :) Who does everybody else love?
autumnlord

Tony MacAlpine. Planet X.
V41

95% of the time it's Steve or Mike Keneally, but I also enjoy:

Tony MacAlpine, Billy Sheehan, Stuart Hamm, Frank Zappa, Dream Theater, James Taylor, Metallica, Megadeth (from my metal head years :D ), Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Van Halen, David Lee Roth (the Vai stuff), Blue Oyster Cult, Jaco Pastorius, Miles David, Joe Satriani (I forgot him for a sec), Robert Johnson, John Lee Hooker.

And on occasion, Yngwie Malmsteen, Joe Stump, and such shredders.
RAI

Yanni
Martina McBride
Isildurs Bane
Dixie Chicks
Last edited by RAI on Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mattv550

joe satriani
van halen
Iron maiden
Black sabbath
metallica
aerosmith
guns n roses
AC/DC
Rammstein
Hendrix

Thats all i can think of right now
weapon

Biggest Satch fan ever!
The Mars Volta
Thrice
Disturbed
Thursday
Andreas Vollenweider
Al Di Meola and company
Weezer (the old stuff)
Pennywise
NoFX
The Beastie Boys
firehose
Yngwie Malmsteen
Fatboy Slim
AFI
Billy Talent
Led Zeppelin
SRV
The Cult
Hendrix
AC/DC
U2
James Brown
Wasabi Collective
Radiohead
Smashing Pumpkins
Ozzy
The Crystal Method

etc,etc,etc.........

Hey, is there still a club in old Knoxville called "The Underground"?
Mr. Canadian

miles, monk, coltrane, ornette, marsalis, mingus, rollins, stalling, stravinsky, shostakovich, bartok, nancarrow, boulez, ravel, varese, carter, mahler, rachmaninov, bach, beethoven, webern, zappa, holdsworth, j.beck etc...
soren

weapon wrote: Hey, is there still a club in old Knoxville called "The Underground"?
Nah, i'm not sure what's in its spot, but that club was closed a few years ago due to liquor issues (selling to minors, etc). I think a club called Blue Cat has taken its place, featuring cover bands and such.
tim_knox

Eric Johnson, Hendrix, Zeppelin, Opeth, Al di Meola, Allman Brothers, Andy Timmons, Eric Clapton, Dream Theater, The Eagle, Greatful Dead, Greg Howe, Guster, Jeff Beck, Bach, Scofield, Liquid Tension, Beethoven, Skynyrd, Pantera, Pat Metheny, Pink Floyd, Porcupine Tree, Rachmaninoff, Mozart, SRV

a real mix
zappadons

Satriani
Zappa
Andy Timmons
The Tubes
Todd Rundgren
King Crimson
Thin Lizzy
AC/DC
Mike Keneally
Eric Johnson
Jeff Beck
Jeff Healy
Jimi Hendrix
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Supergrass
Outkast
GreenMeanie

I am almost always listening to Vai but on the rare occasion that I am not I listen to either Van Halen or Velvet Revolver.

Joanne
bytorsnow

Rush(probably my alltime fave)and a little of everything mentioned above and from here on.big fan of instrumental 8)
brainpolice

Good music. :)
skullyrocket

of the rock and pop stuff: Bowie, The Cure, Smashing Pumpkins, Rush, Reeves Gabrels, Van Der Graaf Generator, early Genesis, King Crimson, Zappa, Talking Heads, Tom Waits, Roxy Music, Keneally, Lou Reed, Tori Amos, Porcupine Tree, The Cult, NIN, Dream Theater, etc.
pozydhar

Most of the well known rock/blues bands from the 70's/80's/90's + the jazz-fusion guys.