Blink 182 breaks up

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
bbkane

mroppy wrote:I think Blink-182 was a tremendously talented band. First off, no one can touch Travis' drumming because it is completely ridiculous. Second of all, they became polished artists over time. They had OVER A DOZEN hit songs in their career. If they weren't talented, they might have gotten lucky and had ONE hit. The ability to write that many hit songs and stay in the game so long is a talent.

Oppy
anddddd

" That wasn't my argument. My argument is that just because something is popular doesn't mean that it's good. I find their "Enema of the State" album and their live album to both be wildly entertaining. "
:?:
The Prez

bbkane wrote:
mroppy wrote:I think Blink-182 was a tremendously talented band. First off, no one can touch Travis' drumming because it is completely ridiculous. Second of all, they became polished artists over time. They had OVER A DOZEN hit songs in their career. If they weren't talented, they might have gotten lucky and had ONE hit. The ability to write that many hit songs and stay in the game so long is a talent.

Oppy
A lot of people thought Hitler was good, does that make him good?
A lot of people think Ashlee Simpson is a good singer..does that make her good?
The masses have been wrong before.
Saying ohh they had a bunch of hits they must be good.
Judging anything by how popular it is is dangerous
What is also dangerous is, like you, hating something because it is popular.
Ryan Layton
Banned

i know that blink 182 was music that is simple, predictable, popular, mass produced, music, but it is still music, and because it made people happy (lots of people really... more than vai anyway) it had to be concidered good music to someone. I challenge all of you to go and start a band and write the same kind of catchy pop/punk music and become huge. its not that easy. I agree that music doesn't have to be complex to be good. Before you guys got turned on to the kind of music you are listening to right now (vai, zappa, etc) you were listening to very simple music because you were a kid and you didnt' know any different. Now you probably resist it to some degree because you are afraid of liking simple music (this doesn't apply to all of you, i know). There is nothing wrong with disliking blink 182, but you can't say that they suck for this reason and that reason, because people can do the same thing to vai but what will it solve? you will just say "no he doesn't, look at this song..." and nothing will get done. the same thing will happen when you try to put down blink when talking to a blink fan.
Ryan Layton
Banned

and another thing... i realize that portnoy and donati and all those guys have travis by the balls, but think about the genra. also think about the formal training and stuff that those guys have had that travis never got. think about it like this... travis is the best punk rock drummer out there right now. portnoy is one of the best metal drummers out there. donati rules at fusion. max roach was the god of jazz.

can max roach play like portnoy? no
can portnoy play like max roach? no

same shit applys to travis and those other guys. they have entirly different tricks and styles.

i know that we are all impressed with the person who spent hours a day playing to a metronome to become a speed monster and has more technical ability than god, but that really doesn't make him better.
EVO 555

took the words righ out of my mouth ryan
bbkane

The Prez wrote:
bbkane wrote:

Oppy
A lot of people thought Hitler was good, does that make him good?
A lot of people think Ashlee Simpson is a good singer..does that make her good?
The masses have been wrong before.
Saying ohh they had a bunch of hits they must be good.
Judging anything by how popular it is is dangerous
What is also dangerous is, like you, hating something because it is popular.
but I never said I hate popular music..........you assumed that
and we all know what happens when you assume
I actually love a lot of pop music........ billy preston for example :)