the better guitarist from metallica

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.

better guitarist from metallica?

james hetfield
15%
james hetfield
15%
james hetfield
15%
james hetfield
15%
kirk hammet
10%
kirk hammet
10%
kirk hammet
10%
kirk hammet
10%

Total votes: 216

Wempukkah

#31 Post by Wempukkah » Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:16 am

I would probably pick James Hetfield.
He plays a mean solo on nuthin else matters. Proves he can shred.
Kirk is good. But James can play both lead and awesome rythum.
A better guitar player in my book.
Awwwww. The solo in Nothing Else Matters is

1. Easy, not challenging.
2. Definetly not shred.
3. Doesn't prove anything.

:?

j3

Hammett is not really sloppy, but then...

#32 Post by j3 » Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:36 am

lydian7 wrote:
brainpolice wrote:"Don't sell other shredders that short. Hammett sucks."
And I must be the immature one that insults people's tastes. Hmm.
There's a sort of brutal honesty to that phrase though. Technically hammett doesn't hold a torch to the likes of some of the more precise shredders, and melodically his solos are very inconsistant.
I don't fault Hammett for precision, he's actually very articulate, in my opinion, but he's definitely a wanker and I just hate how he overuses that wah pedal. He's pretty agile, but not the fastest--if that's anyone's benchmark. I don't like his style at all these days, but Master of Puppets was perfect as far as both the lead and rhythm playing goes--for a metal band. Not as creative as Friedman or Skolnick, but an excellent textbook example of how to play idiomatic guitar scales, modes, arpeggios, noises, and repetitive licks in a heavy metal context.

Tom R
Newcomer

#33 Post by Tom R » Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:10 am

To what extent, exactly, was Hammett a Satriani student? Did he just take a few lessons or did he learn everything he knows from the man? He certainly doesn't seem to have progressed as far as certain other Satch students :wink: .

Anyway, I respect Hammett. It seems to me that he may be a better guitarist than the genre allows.

j3

It's funny, but...

#34 Post by j3 » Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:25 am

Tom R wrote:To what extent, exactly, was Hammett a Satriani student? Did he just take a few lessons or did he learn everything he knows from the man? He certainly doesn't seem to have progressed as far as certain other Satch students :wink: .

Anyway, I respect Hammett. It seems to me that he may be a better guitarist than the genre allows.
Satriani only seems to talk about his lesser known students. He's always bringing up Jeff Tyson (T-ride) and Larry Lalonde (primus) and Charlie Hunter and everyone is always asking him about Vai and Hammett, but there are loads of people who claim to have learned their craft from him, personally. I always wondered why he never mentioned his lessons with Skolnick, because Skolnick never left out mention of Satch, but I think Satch didn't really mentor Alex that much because Skonlick was playing in a pop band named Squares and Alex was a semi-satanic metalhead at the time (I'm guessing about this one). Anyway, Skolnick was always saying how obsessed he was with Yngwie at the time, so I think Satch--valuing individual expression as the highest goal, didn't like him too much... or something. Anyway, Hammett was obsessed with Billy Gibbons at the time and he was envious of Skolnick's fretboard agility and melodic sensibility (never thought you'd hear a Metallica member trying to be like a Testament member, did you?), so he went to learn from Joe. Joe apparently thought he was good at learning the lessons (Joe) taught (Kirk), but knowing Joe, I'm sure he saw the limitations of Kirk's imagination, so he just thought he was a good student and left it at that. Kirk is actually pretty humble guy, which suits his decent abilities and good technique; but (Kirk's) definitely gone off the deep end with this bluesy crap. Anyway, to make a long answer short, Joe gave Kirk basic harmony, moderately advanced scale/arpeggio relationships and fingering theory. Kirk simplified this stuff into E minor and that was that. Joe is a God, Kirk is a student... that's the basics for you. At least that's my take on the collection of interviews I read when I used to read those dipshit guitar magazines (when I was 15!). I could be wrong, and I'd be happy to hear a different perspective from anyone who knows the real down-low on this subject (any thoughts Joe?!). That's my take.
Last edited by j3 on Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DemerzelTarquin
Newcomer

#35 Post by DemerzelTarquin » Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:29 pm

James seems to be better when drunkthan when not...lol

realgreenfire

#36 Post by realgreenfire » Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:59 pm

hey, sounds kinda like hendrix!! but not as good!

steve

Dany_Vai

#37 Post by Dany_Vai » Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:37 pm

I prefer James as guitarrist !

The Prez

#38 Post by The Prez » Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:11 am

James definally. hammet is a guitarist? i thought he was the offical sponcer of the wah petal, lol jk

dex

#39 Post by dex » Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:25 am

Hetfield without a shadow of a doubt......
Kirk is faster but his sense of melody is magnitudes below James's.
Kirk took about 10 lessons from Satch - that was it.
I'm just going to quote myself here - it's just easyer.
dex wrote:Here's the facts:

1. In 1978 Joe begins a 10-year stint teaching at "Second Hand Guitars" in Berkeley, CA.
Students include David Bryson (Counting Crows), Kirk Hammett, Charlie Hunter, Larry LaLonde, Alex Skolnick, and others.

2. "I started taking lessons from Satriani in 1982, right before Kill Em All. I had taken maybe ten lessons from him.
I learned about modes, chord theory, scale theory, and a lot of licks. We would play together and he'd play a lick and I'd totally copy it. I wouldn't tell him, I'd just go home, break out my guitar and work out this lick I'd seen him play." - "The Art Of Kirk Hammett" <- google this and buy the book if you want to learn stuff about Kirk rather than speculate. :wink:

well that's pretty much it but as I said above, people at satriani.com and metallica.com might know more about it. :)

ilia

The Prez

#40 Post by The Prez » Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:31 am

Yes, kirt is probably his most famous student, but its funny. He only had like 10 lessosn with him. Imagine if he had spent 10 years with him.

Youngshredder

#41 Post by Youngshredder » Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:10 am

what I find strange is that kirk is so open about ripping off Satch. It may only be a lick, but still.

j3

ripping off licks

#42 Post by j3 » Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:21 pm

Everyone steals from everyone, get used to it. Blaming people for ripping off licks is like blaming someone for writing a book with words that you can find in a dictionary. If everything was new, you would have no context for understanding what the artist was trying to communicate.

brainpolice

#43 Post by brainpolice » Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:23 pm

Besides that, Satch doesn't show in Kirk's playing at all to be honest. They are two completely diff players, Satch being 100x better. lol.

evandlh

#44 Post by evandlh » Sat Feb 26, 2005 1:28 pm

kirk hammett

The Prez

Re: ripping off licks

#45 Post by The Prez » Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:03 am

j3 wrote:Everyone steals from everyone, get used to it. Blaming people for ripping off licks is like blaming someone for writing a book with words that you can find in a dictionary. If everything was new, you would have no context for understanding what the artist was trying to communicate.
The difference is that Kirt basically just changed the key of his lick, it was basically note for note. That's plagerism almost.