Kirk Hammet

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
Youngshredder

I know how most of you feel about him, but WTF. I like him, I think he's awesome. Disliking him because of what scales he uses or doesn't use is retarded IMO. And maybe it's just me but I like the sound of over used wah. Even satch does it on "Is there love in space".

Slash sucks. :D
brainpolice

I dont hate him as a person, in fact he seems like a nice guy, and i'm not going to post my negative opinion of him, so have a field day. Listen to metallica all you want, it's your taste not mine. (P.S. I agree, Slash is dissapointing once you are really initiated into the guitar world, but then that's exactly how some of us feel about Hammet).
laficojr

brainpolice wrote:I dont hate him as a person, in fact he seems like a nice guy, and i'm not going to post my negative opinion of him, so have a field day. Listen to metallica all you want, it's your taste not mine. (P.S. I agree, Slash is dissapointing once you are really initiated into the guitar world, but then that's exactly how some of us feel about Hammet).

I agree :wink:
sonny sixshooter

Being an olsd Metallica fan, he gets good grades in my book.
Youngshredder

but then that's exactly how some of us feel about Hammet
i couldn't tell :wink:

but I do think Kirk could do some pretty awesome stuff if he left metallica, or at least recorded a solo album while in metallica.
thevai-love-doll

agreed, i recon hammets locked into a contract with metallica. he has to stick to what he does, no argument. the music industry works like that. once your sold out thats it, you'll do anything for the contract and the money. sometimes your 'owned' when you sell out and have no choice. if kirk left metallica he'd probably pull a better solo album than what 'john5'(from manson) and others, and therefor rake in more money!
not a bad artist, not a good one either.
Birdman

I like most Metallica stuff. All up to and including the Black. But I don't like it for Kirks amazing guitar work. I think the rhythm guitars are great, and most of the solo's "fit" the songs, BUT, the wah gets a bit much. I couldn't sit there and listen to a heap of it at once. And like I said, there's nothing there that makes you go "whoa" with the solo's, but come on, not EVERYTHING we listen to has to have that does it?
ShrediMaster

brainpolice wrote:I dont hate him as a person, in fact he seems like a nice guy, and i'm not going to post my negative opinion of him, so have a field day. Listen to metallica all you want, it's your taste not mine. (P.S. I agree, Slash is dissapointing once you are really initiated into the guitar world, but then that's exactly how some of us feel about Hammet).
i couldnt agree more
spcastlemagic

I like old Metallica... Hammet doesn't bother me or wow me either so I'm neutral on him. The newer stuff... I'm not sure if he even played on Saint Anger :p
Jonesy038

Sometimes I do wonder if Hammet has ever heard of a thing call 'key' though. Admittedly my knowledge of Metallica isn't extensive but when I've seen live shows etc I've often seen him noodling away desperately, but playing in no distinguishable key whatsoever, and certainly not the same one the band are playing in!!
brainpolice

Jonesy038 wrote:Sometimes I do wonder if Hammet has ever heard of a thing call 'key' though. Admittedly my knowledge of Metallica isn't extensive but when I've seen live shows etc I've often seen him noodling away desperately, but playing in no distinguishable key whatsoever, and certainly not the same one the band are playing in!!
I've seen this many times, where he plays the WRONG minor pent, like the tune's in E minor, and he plays G minor pent. Usually in jazz, you could get away with stuff like this if you KNOW what you're doing, but with him it's plain a mistake. A foul sounding mistake at that.
But I said i wouldn't go into details early, whoops a bit late hehe.
phoenix2874

It`s not his playing that grates me, it`s his tone.It`s so sterile. I grew up (pfft!) on old metallica, so I can`t say I don`t like his playing. But man...that tone is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me :evil:
FINGERS76

I don't think as many people don't like him for the scales he does or doesn't play, but for how bad of a guitarist he is. His technique is poor, and he can't bend in tune.
Jemfever

I like the older Metallica stuff but i think Mr.Hammet is not a good guitarist.I saw Metallica and GnR live in '92.Hammet is maybe the worst guitarist i've ever heard up to date.
EyesOfFire0221

I have to disagree with you guys . But if it wasnt for Kirk i wouldnt of never started to play rock guitar so he gets a big Hell yeah from me .i met Kirk in person he is such a nice guy at first I didnt recognize him cause he was in sweat pants and a hoodie but he saw my metallica patches and he came up to me and started to talk to me which was cool i got his sign which was cool and i got to talk to him for a bit . He was at a flea market looking for old comic books and action figures he has a big collection of those stuff.

peace

Tiffany