If you think Yngwie is a ......

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
Gregocide

brainpolice wrote:Redundant. :)
Most players IMPROV over time. He's been the same player for 20 years. Hasn't changed.

A good example of a great artists who changed himself up a bit over his career is Tony Macalpine. Went from a classical vibe to more of a fusion type deal later in his career.

Same can be said for Greg Howe going from a fusion type vibe to the more neo-classical style stuff on Ascend.

I don't think it even neciserally has to do with getting necciserally better as much as changing up your style a bit.

Then we get into the whole issue of "Oh, ____ didn't stick to their roots, they suck now."

I dunno. Yngwie is what he is, as far as I am concerned. I'll put him on for a bit when I'm in the mood for that sort of thing... If i'm not, I put on something else.
resha

sonny sixshooter wrote:
resha wrote:at the end what does it mean "he took from the best" :?:
that he HAS COPIED the best... that's not noble for an artist to live on someone's untouchable work... I'm sorry :?
Mark Twain once said: "Young authors are always "inspired" by those before them. Older authors admit they steal from them."

Artists, authors and the like do it all the time. That doesn't necessarily make it bad.
being inspired doesn't mean steal... :evil:
FINGERS76

brainpolice wrote:People can't really complain when me or other people post negatively about Yngwie on this thread - Look at it's title. It's begging for someone to throw their opinion in. The thread is waged against people who dislike Yngwie, well then dont be surprised when I tell you why i dont like him. :) "You're just jealous" No, I have taste. "You wish you cloud play like that" I've not a single inkling to ever be as monotonous and boring as that. "Stop attacking poor Yngwie" In case you haven't noticed, this is Steve Vai's website. I would have hoped that most Vai fans would despise Yngwie, but I guess that isn't the case. A Shame. I would hope that people with enough taste to appriciate Vai would realize the HUGE difference between the two. One is a musician and composer, the other is a monotonous fretwanker. A shame.
I didn't start this thread to have a war over is he or isn't he worth more respect than he gets, or to change someone's mind over whether they like him or not.

I did it because I read numerous posts saying he was a bad guitarist, not songwriter, but a bad guitarist. I want to show this is simply not the case. You can dislike his songs all that you want, but you can't listen to the two tracks I named and say he is not a talented player. The one's who don't like his songwriting turned the thread into the monster it became.

Yes this is Vai's website but the forum is for other musicians as well. If you don't want to see posts about others stay in the all about steve forum. Just because you like Vai doesn't mean you should hate other guitarists, that is the most ridiculous statement I have ever read. I am embarassed for you. The greatest thing about music is that it is different. If every artist sounded like vai or wrote songs like Vai, why would we need Vai?
brainpolice

No but i'd hope people with the taste for Vai would half enough taste to see through an egotistical fretwanker named Yngwie Malmsteen who hasn't improved or changed at all his whole career. I refuse to go along with the notion that "omg he so fast and clean" when it is plain and simply not true. A 12 year old beginner is a better guitarist, because they would be way more creative with way less to work with. :)
Mr. Canadian

brainpolice wrote:No but i'd hope people with the taste for Vai would half enough taste to see through an egotistical fretwanker named Yngwie Malmsteen who hasn't improved or changed at all his whole career. I refuse to go along with the notion that "omg he so fast and clean" when it is plain and simply not true. A 12 year old beginner is a better guitarist, because they would be way more creative with way less to work with. :)
would u STFU. seriously, it's really funny how you don't even see how much of a dick you come off when you type shit like this, i mean, read what you just typed... it's just plain flat-out stupid & ignorant.

the last time i checked, yngwie's execution was clean & superb. stop acting like you're some famous seasoned pro heavy-weight with boundless knowledge. shheessh..the perception of "self-importance" that some folks exhibit on this forum is pathetic. GROW UP.
brainpolice

Not really. Like I said, this thread is begging for someone to make anti-yngwie comments. SO DONT BE SURPRISED WHEN I DO! What IS plain ignorant is to worshop this overated fuck who rushes everything. "the last time i checked, yngwie's execution was clean & superb." RUSHED RUSHED RUSHED. POOR POOR POOR. I'm not the one losing out, the truth stares you in the face.
You have no case. And last I checked, you were the one making comments like you were god.
Last edited by brainpolice on Sat Jan 29, 2005 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Canadian

brainpolice wrote:Not really. Like I said, this thread is begging for someone to make anti-yngwie comments. SO DONT BE SURPRISED WHEN I DO! What IS plain ignorant is to worshop this overated fuck who rushes everything. "the last time i checked, yngwie's execution was clean & superb." RUSHED RUSHED RUSHED. POOR POOR POOR.
You have no case.
like i said, STFU. you're a nobody so stop acting like something you're not. and...GROW UP!
brainpolice

Whos the one acting like a somebody? Maybe you should check out how you acted on the fusion thread. Noone has an obligation to bow down to king Yngwie.
Mr. Canadian

brainpolice wrote:Whos the one acting like a somebody? Maybe you should check out how you acted on the fusion thread.
I never busted anybody's balls for their playing in that thread. I was just debating with strong supporting evidence to back-up my arguement (quotes, writings from jazz musicians), that swing is a core component of jazz. It's completely different than what you're demonstrating here.
brainpolice

No comment. LOOK AT THE TITLE OF THIS THREAD!
"if you think yngwie is a...."
WTF DO YOU EXPECT!
Mr. Canadian

brainpolice wrote:No comment. LOOK AT THE TITLE OF THIS THREAD!
"if you think yngwie is a...."
WTF DO YOU EXPECT!
Oh, so this gives you the right to act like an asshole? Please...
brainpolice

No. It's begging for someone to REPLY to it, with WHY they dont like the guy, in which im NOT the only guy to do so far, then you isolate me as if i'm stamping on you're parade when the thread itself is asking for it.
Mr. Canadian

brainpolice wrote:No. It's begging for someone to REPLY to it, with WHY they dont like the guy, in which im NOT the only guy to do so far, then you isolate me as if i'm stamping on you're parade when the thread itself is asking for it.
Can I hear your music please?
brainpolice

You do a little something called a logical falicy. The particular logical falicy you tend to use is: complete change of topic, diversion. Bush does it all the time. You two would get along.
Last edited by brainpolice on Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Canadian

brainpolice wrote:Shove it up your ass, and quit being THE asshole.
You do a little something called a logical falicy. The particular logical falicy you tend to use is: complete change of topic, diversion. Bush does it all the time. You two would get along.
*yawn* more hot wind...