If you think Yngwie is a ......

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
FINGERS76

bad or sloppy guitarist listen to two songs.

The Seventh Sign. Which is from the cd of the same name.

Finale. Which is on the Concerto cd.

The arpeggios he plays in the interlude for The Seventh Sign and the intro to Finale are the hardest pieces of music I have ever heard. And Yngwie can pull them off live with no tape speed ups or whatever.

I dare any guitarist on this board to play those pieces of music at half speed as clean as he plays them at full speed.

You may not like his music because it is too classical, but you can't deny his technique or his ability to play his instrument extremely well.

My .02 cents.

8) peace and light.
RAI

I don't think you'll find anyone on this board that thinks Yngwie is a "bad or sloppy" guitarist.
He's one of the most amazing guitarists out there.
But I personally cannot listen to anything he does for more than a few minutes, then I have to turn it off.
But he's still a great guitarist.....

8)
resha

RAI wrote:I don't think you'll find anyone on this board that thinks Yngwie is a "bad or sloppy" guitarist.
He's one of the most amazing guitarists out there.
But I personally cannot listen to anything he does for more than a few minutes, then I have to turn it off.
But he's still a great guitarist.....

8)
yep, you're right RAI...

for me it's not his technical ability... it's that he always plays the same kind of things...
imagine steve only playing tapping tapping tapping and more tapping... that just would be boring and nothing more...
I mean listen to Yngwie's solos in "Live in Denver G3" dvd...
he plays the same kind of thing (his kind of thing) even on a Hendrix's tune... :x
FINGERS76

Most guitarists have their own style of soloing.

Van Halen didn't really do anything different from solo to solo.
Ace Frehley sounds the same solo to solo.
Clapton is the same thing over and over.
Page too.
I could go on.......but why? :roll:
sonny sixshooter

It's very simple in my mind. Yngwie is a great guitaer player, but he stinks at composing (as in he plays the same thing over and over again, not that he doesn't understand music). If he would try to get someone else to write music for him, that might be interesting.
ricardo_impellitteri

yeah his technique it´s perfect, but he isn´t one of my favorites
RickAllen

I love Yngwie's playing, I'm even in his fan club, but his acoustic playing really bites sometimes. Watch the Denver acoustic bit. He's missing notes left and right and changing keys and it just doesn't sound right. . It's the worst part of the dvd. This kind of thread always turns nasty. If you enjoy him, great but don't put him above everybody else. We should all be practicing guitar right now.
Evo2k0

Yo RAI we gotta meet up man, you live around the area.
ILOVEDeNiro

i bought one of Yngwie's cd's when i first got into guitar music - i think it was in '97 - but i didn't care for the sound that was coming off the cd - it was like listening to some kind of nightmare - or the heaviest part of the Lord of the Rings soundtrack played over & over again.

i think the album was called 'Excalibur' - it had a cool cover though, blue & green 8) i love those colours.
nienturi

For me Yngwie's early stuff is very impressive. Just his first 3-4 albums can be accepted to be more "significant" beacuse of the style of his was "fresh" and "new". Neoclassical rock guitar style swithced (i dont mean started) with his first albums, but then music of hims' ,you know, become "static". You can hear same sound nearly all of his works. Additionally leyboard/guitar duets became less in time and he didnt keep a stable members (like Jens Johannson). Especially his era between Odyssey to inspirations (i dont include these 2 albums) is very boring for me. But his album called "concerto suite..." was good enough to listen ;)

There is a member in here called "resha" and said;
"for me it's not his technical ability... it's that he always plays the same kind of things...
imagine steve only playing tapping tapping tapping and more tapping... that just would be boring and nothing more...
I mean listen to Yngwie's solos in "Live in Denver G3" dvd...
he plays the same kind of thing (his kind of thing) even on a Hendrix's tune..."
İNDEED.
I mean the things he does are not balanced and out of melody. So it is more difficult to be "timeless" if there are no "immortal" melodies.
Yngwie has many strong abilities for guitar playing but in musically...i'm not sure.
frostie

i'd like to note, that its not even like he plays the same 'kind of' thing. I have looked at alot of tabs and the denver dvd and literally plays this one run down 50 bazillion times every song. He is a travestry to shred who should think about what image hes putting out for the rest of the genre.
FINGERS76

frostie wrote:i'd like to note, that its not even like he plays the same 'kind of' thing. I have looked at alot of tabs and the denver dvd and literally plays this one run down 50 bazillion times every song. He is a travestry to shred who should think about what image hes putting out for the rest of the genre.
He has said he doesn't want to be put in the class of shredders. That is what people who don't listen to him think. "He tries to play fast but he isn't as fast as XYZ guitarist". That is crap. He believes he is a neo-classical metal guitarist not a shredd or rock guitarist. I don't think anyone who is a fan of his believes he is the fastest player.

And remember Van Halen, and Page play the same pentonic stuff over and over as well. It isn't just Yngwie.
Jemfever

I agree with most of you guys who say that Ynwie plays (often...always?)the same stuff over and over again.Nevertheless i like his playing for what it is supposed to be:it's neoclassical.I would never say that Yngwie is the best guitarist in the world but whenever i like to hear neoclassical stuff on an electric guitar, i listen to Ynwie.
He's not the type of guy who can entertain you all night long with different styles and hot licks from country to blues and back to rock.Don't forget that.Many guitarists play simmilar stuff throughout their careers.That becomes kind of like their trademark.So i know what i have to expect when i buy a Malmsteen cd and i know what's gonna come when i buy a VH cd.Some people like it some don't and thats good.Wouldn't it be boring if we all would like the same music?
By the way can someone name a guitarist who can play all different styles really good? :D
RickAllen

Eric Johnson
PaulEMoz

frostie wrote:He is a travestry to shred who should think about what image hes putting out for the rest of the genre.
Travesty? The genre wouldn't even EXIST as it does if Yngwie hadn't blazed the trail in the first place. What you said is short-sighted, insulting and frankly, mind-boggling.

But as far as I'm concerned, Yngwie isn't a "shredder". I don't listen to his music because it's fast. I listen to it because it's intense, and grabs me like no other guitarist does.