Getting to know you all better.

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
User avatar
Logic
Member
Member
Posts: 1673
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 4:32 pm

You know, after being a participant on the Vai Site™ fan forum as long as I have, not nearly as long as most, it would be really kewl to know what everyone's experience is. Do you play on the weekends? Are you a musician full time? Or just an enthusiast?
I count myself an an enthusiast.
I play at a church every Sunday night. An old 42 year old rocker playing at church.
Kinda funny and I don't always fit in very well. :) It's a pretty conservative bunch. The rest of the people either play this jazz gospel fusion stuff or more traditional gospel. Here I am in the corner with the distortion and heavy vibrato! It definitely isn't like a rock band where the guitar is in the forefront. A very keyboard oriented deal. Other than that I am a working stiff with kids that doesn't allow for a lot of practice. Not nearly as musically involved as I would like to be. :( No doubt Some of your replies, if any, will make me a bit envious. But your replies will put more of a face on your other contributions elsewhere in the forum.
Last edited by Logic on Sun Dec 19, 2004 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
V41
Member
Member
Posts: 987
Joined: Sun May 09, 2004 6:13 am

I'm a 17 year old about to graduate from high school. I play bass in the school Jazz combo (I have a gig on Monday), but I've been playing music (actually singing) since I was a little boy. I've been in the paper a bunch of times for it, mostly because "Oh, he's so cute, he can't pronounce his r's yet" type stuff.

I've been playing guitar for about 4 years or so, but everyone tells me I'm really good. I could be a lot better because all I did for a long time was play rhythm and do vocals (I started playing lead when I heard Passion & Warfare).

I plan on making music my career. I'm going to the local college for a couple years after high school and then on to Berklee. I should have a Jem by Christmas, and I'm going to really up my practicing when I get it. I want my Berklee audition to be impressive.

I have a fiancee, who I've been dating for about 6 years, who I do plan to marry when the time is right. She's going to college in Minneapolis, though, so I may not be able to see her much besides the summer, but that's alright. I'm going to go through my studies at Berklee, and maybe try and get in on the guitar/music scene. Hell, if things go like I'm planning them, I'll be playing a G3 show with an aged Joe Satriani before too long.

My aspirations are pretty high, and I know it's going to take spirit crushing work to get where I want, but I'm willing to do it. So right now I'm just playing guitar and managing in school and such.

Wish me luck! :wink:
User avatar
jemgirl
Member
Member
Posts: 2970
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2004 1:21 pm

V41 wrote:I'm a 17 year old about to graduate from high school. I play bass in the school Jazz combo (I have a gig on Monday), but I've been playing music (actually singing) since I was a little boy. I've been in the paper a bunch of times for it, mostly because "Oh, he's so cute, he can't pronounce his r's yet" type stuff.

I've been playing guitar for about 4 years or so, but everyone tells me I'm really good. I could be a lot better because all I did for a long time was play rhythm and do vocals (I started playing lead when I heard Passion & Warfare).

I plan on making music my career. I'm going to the local college for a couple years after high school and then on to Berklee. I should have a Jem by Christmas, and I'm going to really up my practicing when I get it. I want my Berklee audition to be impressive.

I have a fiancee, who I've been dating for about 6 years, who I do plan to marry when the time is right. She's going to college in Minneapolis, though, so I may not be able to see her much besides the summer, but that's alright. I'm going to go through my studies at Berklee, and maybe try and get in on the guitar/music scene. Hell, if things go like I'm planning them, I'll be playing a G3 show with an aged Joe Satriani before too long.

My aspirations are pretty high, and I know it's going to take spirit crushing work to get where I want, but I'm willing to do it. So right now I'm just playing guitar and managing in school and such.

Wish me luck! :wink:

i wish you both all the luck you can get guy`s!!!! :wink:


cheers,
patricia :wink:
User avatar
guyver_dio
Member
Member
Posts: 1164
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 4:18 am

I'm 16, been playing guitar for 5 years and still loving it. I have a Ibanez RG series guitar that i have customized (1 dimarzio steve vai custom humbucker, 1 joe satriani custom humbucker and 1 yngwie malmsteen custom single), The Joe satriani pickup was put in the neck position for a more Bassy blues sound, the Yngwie Malmsteen pickup was set in the middle position for crisp (for-all-use) sound and the Steve Vai pickup in the bridge position for screaming solo's. I use a Digitech GNX3 floor processor as I find it an extremely all-round good effects processor. And my amp is my prize possesion, it's a 400 watt twin speaker valve Peavey (Deuce) Amp. I always go for valve amps, they really go off once they heat up. My main music interest is NeoClassical music such as Yngwie Malmsteen, but enjoy a good blues tune every now and again. I have been trying to get a band together but it's hard to find a seriously committed musso these days. I think I've developed what they call 'Bedroom Syndrome'. Having the amp really low volume and playing bits and pieces of songs from tabulature. I live in Australia and almost none of my favourite artists have Australia included in there tours. Tried to catch the steve vai tour when he was over here but all tickets were sold out, damn hillbilly's taking my tickets lol. To compansate for the lack of Australian tours I'v become a DVD collector, the internet is a magical source for DVD's. Going into Grade 12 in 2005 and doing part time slave work as a cash register operator. Can't wait for my big time break into the music industry lol. l8er
Mr_Guitarman
Member
Member
Posts: 360
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2004 2:31 pm

I'm 20 and consider myself a student of music. I have been playing for 4 years and was just offered a teaching job instructing guitar students. I love all kinds of music, but lately I have been getting heavily into jazz and fusion. I spend most of my time playing guitar or studying music. When I have no guitar I always keep a note book wit me constantly writing down my ideas trying to improve. I am not in a band because there aren't to many musicians in my area to play with. i would probaly get kicked out for my nonconfomist ideas though. I love improve and practice guitar in some way every waking moment of my day. I actualy sometimes forget my oblgations becase of it like school for example. In the fall, Hopefully i will be attending Berklee if I could get enough scholarships. (Damn you rich people that can afford anything you want)
brainpolice
Member
Member
Posts: 1032
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:56 pm

MY story is strangely identical to guitarmans.
User avatar
jemgirl
Member
Member
Posts: 2970
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2004 1:21 pm

well, i am as old as steve.
i started to play drums when i was 12,later i started to play guitar.
my insperation was the golden earring,you guy`s know that band?
radar love was one of there biggest hits.
i work in a harware store,to finance my guitars and the rent.heh heh.
ahm,i started to be a fan of steve,i think 10 years agoo,i saw him on tv somewhere and i was astonished,my god what a wonderful guitarist.
for about 13 years i play guitar,and.....still i got a lot to learn,well you never to old to learn he?am i right?? i quess so!!
and here i am, at the biggest and most wonderful place on the planet,...vai.com.
hmm,thats my story logic. 8)

ohh,btw,


i love you all folks. :wink:

that comes outta the bottom of my heart.

cheers,
patricia :wink:
brainpolice
Member
Member
Posts: 1032
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:56 pm

" started to play drums when i was 12,later i started to play guitar. "
11 for me. :P except im 20. :P
V41
Member
Member
Posts: 987
Joined: Sun May 09, 2004 6:13 am

jemgirl wrote:well, i am as old as steve.
i started to play drums when i was 12,later i started to play guitar.
my insperation was the golden earring,you guy`s know that band?
radar love was one of there biggest hits.
i work in a harware store,to finance my guitars and the rent.heh heh.
ahm,i started to be a fan of steve,i think 10 years agoo,i saw him on tv somewhere and i was astonished,my god what a wonderful guitarist.
for about 13 years i play guitar,and.....still i got a lot to learn,well you never to old to learn he?am i right?? i quess so!!
and here i am, at the biggest and most wonderful place on the planet,...vai.com.
hmm,thats my story logic. 8)

ohh,btw,


i love you all folks. :wink:

that comes outta the bottom of my heart.

cheers,
patricia :wink:
We love you, too. :mrgreen:

Well, I can't speak for everyone. But I do!
The Circus
Newcomer
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed May 26, 2004 2:16 am

Well, I'm 23 and I'm from Finland. I study at Helsinki Business Polytechnic and play guitar as much as I can. :guitar
I discovered Vai by accident after long search of my musical desires (when trying to find my own music style). At that time I had played the quitar for a year. My criteria for the music was that it should be instrumental and a little bit out of this world. Something different.
Then my friend mentioned Steve, and I knew that I've heard the name somewhere before, but haven't paid attention to it. So, I bought P&W and I was stunned, I knew that this is it.
My guitar playing took a 180° turn and my life changed.
About a year ago, I got my own Jem7v, so now my mind can rest. I'll never need another guitar in my life (If I need, I'll deny it). :wink:

Well, that's about it. Maybe well talk in the chat someday.
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! :o
Last edited by The Circus on Mon Dec 20, 2004 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
V41
Member
Member
Posts: 987
Joined: Sun May 09, 2004 6:13 am

jemgirl wrote:
V41 wrote:I'm a 17 year old about to graduate from high school. I play bass in the school Jazz combo (I have a gig on Monday), but I've been playing music (actually singing) since I was a little boy. I've been in the paper a bunch of times for it, mostly because "Oh, he's so cute, he can't pronounce his r's yet" type stuff.

I've been playing guitar for about 4 years or so, but everyone tells me I'm really good. I could be a lot better because all I did for a long time was play rhythm and do vocals (I started playing lead when I heard Passion & Warfare).

I plan on making music my career. I'm going to the local college for a couple years after high school and then on to Berklee. I should have a Jem by Christmas, and I'm going to really up my practicing when I get it. I want my Berklee audition to be impressive.

I have a fiancee, who I've been dating for about 6 years, who I do plan to marry when the time is right. She's going to college in Minneapolis, though, so I may not be able to see her much besides the summer, but that's alright. I'm going to go through my studies at Berklee, and maybe try and get in on the guitar/music scene. Hell, if things go like I'm planning them, I'll be playing a G3 show with an aged Joe Satriani before too long.

My aspirations are pretty high, and I know it's going to take spirit crushing work to get where I want, but I'm willing to do it. So right now I'm just playing guitar and managing in school and such.

Wish me luck! :wink:

i wish you both all the luck you can get guy`s!!!! :wink:

cheers,
patricia :wink:
THANKS! :mrgreen:
User avatar
resha
Member
Member
Posts: 3008
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:09 am

I'm 20 and I play since I was 11...
if I don't play EVERYDAY I simply start going crazy, that's all :twisted:

---REMEMBER... LIFE IS GOOD---
NeeWhan
Member
Member
Posts: 450
Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 10:53 am

73 years young.

Playing happened around 4-5ish.

Retired advisor/mentor now in~joying this marvel of a forum untill death 'melvins' me! :lol:

'Ave a good Xmas y'all. :D
Roy Boy
Member
Member
Posts: 299
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2004 5:32 am

I'm 20 and only got a guitar this february, but before that I played the trombone for 9 years since i was 9. That was a pretty good stint...primary school 'band captain', had the same music teacher for the change to high school and he put me in the 'good' band the first year and I got to tour sydney with them and play in the opera house. I was in the 2000 olympics marching band in the opening ceremony which was awesome. 5 years at high school in the orchestra, jazz band and concert band, became capitano of those in the last year (you didn't really do anything...its just something to blow your own horn about :P) then the school called a few of the graduates back after grade 12 for a trip to new zealand, which was really cool too! Then didn't play anything for a year getting settled at uni, then got the guitar start of this year, I liked harmonies and wanted something I could play them by myself on...that's my nutshell.
NunoKwikPhix
Member
Member
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2003 11:17 am

33 and been playing since I was 15 or so.

Used to play all the time when I was but a school aged young lad, but now with a wife, kids, mortgage, job, blah, blah, blah....I only get to play on the weekends. At least I can make a few hundred bucks while I'm at it, though! 8)
Post Reply