the best concert on dvd you have seen

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
Plook

#16 Post by Plook » Thu Nov 11, 2004 7:45 pm

Not to sound like an ass but if Astoria is the best DVD you guys have seen, then you need to see more DVD's.

The camera work was good at best and the audio was not up to usual Vai quality.

I got Baby Snakes and Astoria and was quite disappointed in Astoria compared to the former. A 25 year old recording shouldn't sound better than a 1 year old recording.

Some others DVD's that are just great Flower Kings 2 DVD set from 2003. Some of the best sound I've heard in almost ever.

Threshold Critical Energy , just a wicked recording. Really good band too.

I keep coming back to the new Dream Theater Live from Budokan. These guys are really tight and the show looked and sounded amazing. If you haven't seen it, make an effort to do so, you won't be disappointed.

I just wanted to say I love the Astoria DVD, but there are better ones.

gonzo50
Newcomer

#17 Post by gonzo50 » Thu Nov 11, 2004 9:33 pm

Joe Satriani Live In San Francisco!!!!

Hik

#18 Post by Hik » Fri Nov 12, 2004 1:43 am

Lot of the DVDs mentioned above...
I also like Ozzy live at Budokan :twisted:

u2

#19 Post by u2 » Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:36 am

U2 go home Live at Slane

jemgirl

#20 Post by jemgirl » Fri Nov 12, 2004 10:01 am

live in astoria!!

Birdman

Huh?

#21 Post by Birdman » Sat Nov 13, 2004 8:27 pm

What's this Nuno and PG dvd you speak of? Never heard of that. I want it. Please tell more.
Oh, best live dvd's, not for sound or pic quality, but best for wanting to watch it, and the feeling from it, would be Vai Astoria and Van Halen Live without a net. Yeah It's old, and bla blah blah, but that concert was awesome. I've watched that about 11ty kazillion times in the last 13 years.

Padraig
Newcomer

#22 Post by Padraig » Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:44 pm

Dream Theaters - Scenes from New York
G3 - the origional.
Megadeth - Rude Awakening
Vanessa Mae - Cant remember the title its my girlfriends and absolutely amazing.

Psychlone

#23 Post by Psychlone » Tue Nov 16, 2004 2:31 pm

Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense

Surprised nobody's mentioned it before me :wink:

SBarrett

#24 Post by SBarrett » Tue Nov 16, 2004 2:36 pm

I only have the Astoria DVD and the Satriani Live in San Francisco VHS and both are really nice imo... can't say which is better even if the San Francisco one is in VHS not DVD.
...anyways, which Dream Theater DVD would you guys recommend me? Is Live at Budokan better than Scenes of New York? I don't have any Dream Theater CD's or DVD's, but I want to check out all the progressive metal I can grab a hold to.

-Sean

eyebnez

#25 Post by eyebnez » Tue Nov 16, 2004 4:19 pm

Live at The Astoria of course
Both G3's
Dream Theater - Live in Budokan is really great as well. I actually like it alot better than Scenes From New York, But then again I like Live in Tokyo better than SFNY.
Paul Gilbert - 11 Thousand Notes.
Iron Maiden - Rock in Rio

saxaxe

#26 Post by saxaxe » Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:13 pm

Plook wrote:Not to sound like an ass but if Astoria is the best DVD you guys have seen, then you need to see more DVD's.

The camera work was good at best and the audio was not up to usual Vai quality.
The camera work was damn good considering that he just hired a much of camera men. They never had a single meeting, they never once discussed what type of shot's they were supposed to get or how they should shoot. He hired them and threw them out there. Steve said that he was upset because they all had shtos of his face and so few shots of his hands, the audience, and full body shots.

EyE

#27 Post by EyE » Thu Nov 18, 2004 6:43 am

Don't forget-------> Prince, Live in Las Vegas :wink:

Plook

Re: Huh?

#28 Post by Plook » Sun Nov 21, 2004 8:45 am

Birdman wrote:What's this Nuno and PG dvd you speak of? Never heard of that. I want it. Please tell more.
Oh, best live dvd's, not for sound or pic quality, but best for wanting to watch it, and the feeling from it, would be Vai Astoria and Van Halen Live without a net. Yeah It's old, and bla blah blah, but that concert was awesome. I've watched that about 11ty kazillion times in the last 13 years.
Guitar Wars. It's quite expensive but you can find some on ebay for much cheaper.

SBarrett wrote:...anyways, which Dream Theater DVD would you guys recommend me? Is Live at Budokan better than Scenes of New York? I don't have any Dream Theater CD's or DVD's, but I want to check out all the progressive metal I can grab a hold to.
Live at Budokan kills Scenes. The band is just that tight. The one major difference is the size of the venues. If you like em small then you might enjoy Scenes.

Arson_ar
Newcomer

#29 Post by Arson_ar » Sun Nov 21, 2004 9:43 am

In sound quality, the best i've seen is one of massive attack. It has all their videos. I dont know the name becaus i've seen it on a friend's house.
In image quality, I think that Live at The Astoria was quite good, the same as Rush In Rio.
But the best show i've seen on DVD, in sound, image and music, was King Crimson - Ladies Of The Road, Live In Japan. After seeing that I was in shock. If you have the possibility to watch it with good sound and a good tv, you'll never forget that experience!
Saludos!

Shryker
Newcomer

#30 Post by Shryker » Sun Nov 21, 2004 1:08 pm

Here are some great DVDs

Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin (The first DVD, the Royal Albert Hall performance, is truly amazing. These guys are the greatest live band)

Metallica - Live Shit (Metallica playing at their best)

Joe Satriani - Live In San Francisco (Joe puts on a killer show with a good sets list, I love watching this one)

Rush - Rush In Rio (Great band playing infront of a great crowd)

Various Artists - Concert For George (Some of the greatest songs played by great musicians)

Roger Waters - In The Flesh(Some amazing Floyd songs played here by a brilliant musician)

Queen - Live At Wembley Stadium (A really good performance, shows you why they were such a good band)

Steve Vai - Live At The Astoria London (this speaks for itself, great playing by Steve)

Also, The Beatles Anthology is a really great DVD, though it is not a concert DVD it has a lot of footage of the Beatles playing. Its really informative of the history of the Beatles by Paul, George and Ringo. Some old interviews of Lennon are on there as well.