Ashlee Simpson and MTV

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
NatiFable

Hmm, well, like Frank Zappa once said and I'm paraphrasing: For those people that want to listen to commercial class crud, then there should be those people that write commercial class crud. But real music is different.

All of this should exist for the people that want it, it is sad, but what is sadder isn't Ashley and Jessica and the lot, it's everyone that 'wants' that crammed down their throats-let alone pay for it. Even with the scandal of being caught lip-syncing, being booed of the stage, ect, all the Ashley lovers are in buyers denial, as they will years from now when they all <millions of them> say: "Oh, I wasn't one of those suckers, I never liked Ashley or any of that stuff..."

Unfortunately, that's the society we live in: Music that sells to the least common denominator of the public. If you take that 'What the hell...' thinking around it doesn't stop at music.

The nice easy and fast food that is horrible for your body-but everyone still eats it.

The crappy tv shows and all their canned scripts-but everyone watches. 'If one CSI is good then so are five..' How many 'nanny' and 'wife-swapping' shows, ect, ad nauseum must we have?

Blonde singer to blonde singer to actress turned singer, to sister's of blonde actor sisters....

Let's create another Michael Jordan with some kid we can plaster all over the place-who cares if he can really play. Some 'Dream Team' this year huh? The, ehm, 'professional' ballers lost to everyone? Hmm...

Same thing happened with the ever 'faster' and 'younger' shredder in the 80's.

Under the word 'redundant' in the dictionary, it says see 'redundant'. Thanks Mr. Williams.

Those who don't remember the past, are doomed to repeat it-and unfortunately it's bad for us that do too.

peace and light
brainpolice

Cool way of putting it :)
%thd

Well Here I go again.... :)

To all of your complaints on Music, Food, TV etc etc....

Although I agree with you on the quality of commercial Music, Food, TV etc etc... I don't think it is forced down my throat.

You see I have a wonderful thing called a remote and a disk or cassette in which that when the music which i detest begins to play i simply use the on/off button or insert a disk/cassette.

You see I can drive a car or take a bus or subway and yes even my feet to decide if i want to go to the organic grocery store or to Mc'Donalds for a veggie burger cooked in animal fat :)

You see i also have a remote for the TV with a video/audio input jack were I can input content from a dvd/vcr or even camera. If the material is of a nusaunce on all channels then i can simply turn off or select any input material i so desire.
Under the word 'redundant' in the dictionary, it says see 'redundant'. Thanks Mr. Williams.
I love this one. got of think of when to use this on my manager @ work.
Those who don't remember the past, are doomed to repeat it-and unfortunately it's bad for us that do too.
Hey were human were supposed to mess up and not learn. that's what makes life interesting.

%thd
Viva La Revolucion

Tone Capone wrote:After Ashlee Simpsons recent Saturday Night Live lip synching antics I'm surprised shes even allowed to be filmed anymore. She makes Milli Vanilli look like the Beatles compared to her pitiful talent. Heres another thing that bothers me, her sister Jessica has fucking ORANGE skin. SHes had about 1000 trips to many to the the tanning bed. BTW it takes MiniME more talent to drive his little scotter around butt naked then it does for Ashlee to one of her songs. Its a Damn shame where music has come, and its fucking pathetic. Ashlee here's a life saving tip for ya. Quit singing acting and anything to do with entertainment. I can see nothing but dissapointment and heartache and eventual suicide if you continue.
The whole Super Bowl thing with Ashlee convinced me even more how utterly crap she is. Every real artist should be able to cope with disappointment, and this event convinces me that a sister with blond hair and big t!%$, your own show on MTV and a major label recording contract ain't gonna buy you talent or credibility.
Alex Smith

Greed is a fundamental part of the human race. It's something that allows us to gain status in the world, something that anatomically makes a human being more attractive. Think about it. You're rich, people are going to like you more. Especially the stronger and more dominant (anatomically) sex of the species - the male.

The greedy people that run the businesses have spotted a quick buck by harnessing the looksconcious society and media, and made the buck.

You gotta remember, it's only unfair in our sense of ethics, which allows us to live together as a human. If you're on your own at the top of a status chain, then there isn't really a society around you to promote ethics.

She's a tool. Life's unfair.
Roy Boy

What about that new song, You make me wanna lala? Deep.... :lol: *vomit*
Roger

I think she's cute :mrgreen:
Jester
Newcomer

I agree with the consensus opinion on the Simpson girls. Like some of you here I used to be a guy that could only appreciate music that featured a kick ass guitar player, but then I grew up. That type of music will always be my favorite though. Pop music and MTV does still irritate me but I feel like I am in good company seeing that Mr. Vai also has a bone to pick with the status quo in the industry. I will say this, and I doubt any of you will disagree, there used to be a lot more talent in pop music than there is now. Duran Duran and Bon Jovi will never be confused with Dream Theater or Yes, and Richie Sambora is no Steve Vai, but they made great pop music. Whatever your opinion of Michael Jackson's guilt or innocence, the man wrote good pop music. They wrote and performed all their own stuff. A very healthy portion of what we have today even in pop rock is all pre written, contrived crap that nobody will remember in 20 years. We have actors and actresses who get to make albums as part of their marketing scheme. TV shows like American Idol(Kareoke) put names on CD's whose songs have all been pre written. I won't even start up about rap , I will be here all night! It makes me sick. But enough with the negative. One new band I like very much is Nightwish, if you haven't heard them check them out. No pronounced shredder to be found in that band but they have a great sound, very musical, and an awesome female lead singer. Mariah Carey and Christina Aguilera have talent, it may not be your "thing" but they are very talented. I happen to like Mariah Carey and have a live CD of hers. Counting Crows are pretty cool. U2 and REM while not new still make good pop music. Good music is out there you just have to dig a little deeper through the crap to find it!!

Jesse
bytorsnow

this is the type of discussion i could go on about for ever(but i wont)Evo2k0 said it for me ....thank you
reasonwhy

I don't like A. Simpson myself, and I've never given the girl more than a few seconds worth of thought, but I'm noticing a few patterns in the way she is being criticized here.

It seems most of you feel that for a person to meet your definition of "talented" or a "musician," they must write and perform all of their own music. I'm curious, do any of you believe that professional symphony orchestra players are not talented and not real musicians? After all, they only play the parts that are written for them. What about broadway singers, opera singers, freelance and session players? Even many pop stars like C. Aguilera, J.Timberlake and the "boy bands" are extremely talented from an objective standpoint: they have unusually great voices and most made their way through all kinds of auditions and filtering systems to get their gigs. So what if they don't write their own material? Much of the professional musical world is broken into categories like performers, teachers, producers, arrangers, and composers. Are composers the only ones who are musicians?

Now obviously Ashlee Simpson is no virtuoso performer, and the idea that she did not work her way through the various filters like most have to is certainly unjust. It wouldn't be the first time this kind of thing happened. The thing is that I've heard hardly any of her music (I'm not very connected to pop culture these days), and what I have heard I didn't think much of--but she certainly didn't sound as horrid as what I expected! Even lousy pop stars are vastly more talented than most people, and I can't imagine how so many of you feel that you can say without a shadow of a doubt that she has "no talent."

There's an awful lot of sweeping generalizations made about music here, and it's quite disturbing coming from a group of people who consider themselves somehow musically "enlightened." From confident declarations about what is and isn't "good music," to all kinds of evaluations of performers' talent made by people who couldn't possibly know that much about the ones they're evaluating. And what's the deal with everyone dismissing an entire genre (rap) in such a hostile and intense fashion as to make anyone who might like it feel they are being attacked? Do you really feel it's worth absolutley nothing on any level? Are all of the people that like it just stupid?

I dislike most of what's out there today just like the rest of you, but is there no better way to show our frustrations?
bbkane

thats a faulty analogy

prof. musicians and etc actually understand music, they can read and WRITE. Although they "only" perform. They understand the theory and can write as well. There is a huge difference between reading music and.....being told to sing words in something somewhat close to in key that a computer can change to fit
Nightmare405

AS MR ZAKK WLYDE SAID IN THIS MONTHS GUITAR WORLD "SHES A TALENTLESS HACK!!"
reasonwhy

You're right, that is a faulty analogy. I went off on a tangent there because I have read so many posts/letters by people who draw conclusions about an individual's talent level using "writing their own music" as the primary measuring stick. I was just genuinely curios to see if people really thought that musicians that weren't also writers weren't really musicians. I certainly wasn't trying to imply that A. Simpson was on the same level as orchestral performers, etc.

By the way, how do you have any idea what her background is anyway? How do you know for sure that she can't read music or grasp theory? Have you guys all been in the studio with her during her recording sessions? I would think that the only way one could know these things is by reading up about her, reading her interviews, or watching the garbage that MTV spews. Why would you show that kind of interest in someone you despise?

About the Zakk Wylde comment: he is an awesome player, but we're also talking about a dude that has never had to grow up and behave like a professional adult, similar to a whining and pampered NBA player. The man much of the time panders to a high school level audience (Revolver magazine, Metal Edge, etc.) who he can impress with his foul language and general lack of respect for all people who don't fall into his world. Because of who he is he can get away with saying those kinds of things, but most grown men who utter statements like "she's a talentless hack" would be viewed as an idiot.
saxaxe

^^ I've gotta agree. While Zakk Wylde may be a good player, I dont like his attitude at all. I read his latest GW interview and was disgusted. Im not gonna get into it now, tho.

But what bugs me about Ashlee Simpson is that she can't sing on pitch. Watch her show sometime...she is never on key. On her records, either she got lucky, or they modified her voice, which they can do. What also ticks me off is that she said she doesnt want to sing her sister's music. She wants to sing rock. And she thinks she is. Im honestly very dissapointed with what the mainstream has become. Rap and pop/punk has taken over and it's pathetic. With the exception of a few rappers (eminem, to name one), rap is a genre completely lacking of talent. What also pisses me off is the latest guitar world. It compared Simple Plan to the Beatles and the Beach Boys.....-_-
bbkane

reasonwhy wrote:You're right, that is a faulty analogy. I went off on a tangent there because I have read so many posts/letters by people who draw conclusions about an individual's talent level using "writing their own music" as the primary measuring stick. I was just genuinely curios to see if people really thought that musicians that weren't also writers weren't really musicians. I certainly wasn't trying to imply that A. Simpson was on the same level as orchestral performers, etc.

By the way, how do you have any idea what her background is anyway? How do you know for sure that she can't read music or grasp theory? Have you guys all been in the studio with her during her recording sessions? I would think that the only way one could know these things is by reading up about her, reading her interviews, or watching the garbage that MTV spews. Why would you show that kind of interest in someone you despise?

About the Zakk Wylde comment: he is an awesome player, but we're also talking about a dude that has never had to grow up and behave like a professional adult, similar to a whining and pampered NBA player. The man much of the time panders to a high school level audience (Revolver magazine, Metal Edge, etc.) who he can impress with his foul language and general lack of respect for all people who don't fall into his world. Because of who he is he can get away with saying those kinds of things, but most grown men who utter statements like "she's a talentless hack" would be viewed as an idiot.
thats easy
anyone with music knowledge would know when they are outside of key

knowledge includes having an ear as thats the most important part