Ashlee Simpson and MTV

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
Evo2k0

Is it me or does this girl have no talent at all. This girl to me seems like she has no artistic ability to write her own music as she has about 12 writers writing her material for her. It's a sad world we live in, when we have bands out there that are trying to get their material out, promoting themselves as hard as they can, trying to sell their tickets in order to get a little gig going. Ashlee Simpson because of her sister, gets everything handed to her on a silver platter. I see bands all the time at the Whiskey, the Knitting Factory and other places, where they are doing everything they can do get themselves out. Even if they dont sound awesome to me, the effort and the unwillingness to make themselves happen is there. Bands out there dreammmm about getting a record deal. Not like her where she first records her album actually her producer and 12 writers and engineers do it for her, her voice sounds like my younger brother's and then find band members. There was an instance where they were recording a string ensemble for one of her songs and shes sitting there chewing gum, coloring her nails with a sharpie and spacing off and talking about what to wear for the nite. What utter ignornace! No appreciation! Im not jealous or anything, I just think we live in an unfair world. Many of these band members have nothing else to turn to if their band doesn't make it. They live by their music. Now, when I see this show, which im sorry to say I stumble upon because its so utterly ridiciulous. This girl can't even harmonize if her life depended on it. Take into account about MTV and what Steve thinks about this whole pop culture era. The radio and MTV will do anythinggggg to sell an album if they think some type of revenue in their sales. They dictate what we should like. What ever happened to real music. Where did this all go... As the years progress I cling onto music like Steves because its my only sanctuary. Its got to the point where I don't even turn on the radio. Its our last hope with artists like him. Its like we are on Noahs ark as his animals and Steve is Noah himself. I just wanted to know how my fellow members on this forum feel about what im saying. If you agree or disagree its fine, I would just like to know why.
Plook

I don't understand why you're not jealous??? I am.

It's called the lucky sperm club, and you and I aren't members.

If you want some salvation, go to some of these sites and hopefully you'll be a little happier after the fact.

www.paulgilbert.com

www.porcupinetree.com

http://www.progarchives.com/

You've got to remember that Ashlee Simpson is being sold to tweens so It's no surprise the writers are there with every 1-4-5 chord progression they can think of.

Don't sweat it, you'll drive yourself nuts.
Evo2k0

Im not really jealous, well maybe I am, its just sad to what this world has succumb to as far as being a famous musician, you really need no expierence basically. Steve Vai has rightfully earned his spot as an accomplished musician and guitarist. He deserves that label rightfully. People like Steve Vai should have that attention, I mean look at his music, his skill, he is an inspiration to all of us. He has been a professional musician for over 20 years. His music makes me happy and his music can also make me weep with his beautiful melodies From what I can also tell he is very humble about it which im not suprised coming from a man like him. I mean are these kids that buy her albums blind to the fact that she is just another spec of sand coming from the same beach like all these other pop artists. She also claims herself to be a "musician". What audacity does she have to call herself a musician or artist when you cant even produce your own music or write your lyrics. I mean she doesnt even know what genre her own music is. I know I seem pissed its cause I am and you guys know theres something wrong here. Maybe we are the lucky ones here. The very few who see talent and have Steve's music to turn to and to relish upon.
Plook

We are the lucky ones. We're not the sheep spoon fed the garbage.

Just out of curiousity, how old are you?

I assume in your teens or early twenties.

I was this way in my mid teens too. You've got to just let it go or you'll become negative about music. I was this way about anything not technical for awhile. It was really silly. Now that I'm older (30) I'll listen to almost anything (almost) and enjoy it.

I actually liked Ashlee's music a lot more than her big sister's. It was more poppy and upbeat. I don't mind her singing. You've just got to remember to turn off your brain when you listen and you'll be ok.
SlickXQ

I do like her voice, i think its nifty. But! its absolutly sickens me to watch this show(i've seen a few eps). I keep trying to explain to my sister why her music selection is terrible cause she is mtvs best friend(damn you brittany). Ashlee's show basically should make my point obvious.

How sick is it that you can have a platinum album BEFORE!!! you ever tour prior to recording the album. I don't remember hearing that she had set out and played venues before she went to record an album...actually, maybe this is kewl. I wouldn't mind skipping that whole process haha(right, like thats a realistic thought).

its also terrible that she's not really writing her own stuff. And writing lyrics like that don't count as writing the song, her's are seriously overplayed.

also the cherry on top was when during rehearsal her guitar player said she was flat, her voice. ...she had no idea what he meant. she didn't KNOW what flat or sharp meant. HOW ...how do you not KNOW that and be a musician playing with other people.

oh well, boo her and hopefully people will one day gain a better respect for real musicians.
-Nik
Tone Capone

I agree with almost everything Evo2ko said. Shes pathetic and so his her sister. They might be fine but so what. O Man I cant wait for somebody to break down these walls. Popular music is just horrible, its sad none of these people know what good music is. I dont think they listen because they like it. They just do it cause its the MTV thing to do. Its sad.
Evo2k0

Hey Plook whats up man. Im 19 turning 20 in november. I mean how does someone get a record deal when they haven't even started recording an album or even had any experience in singing or being in a band? There are many people in this forum who know what I'm talking about. Being called a musician is a heavy word, theres alot of discipline in that word, and she has none. I also laughed my a** off when I heard her say that. I wonder how different this would have been if they let her write her own stuff and let her sing the way she thought was right. I think she's going to turn out like a Kelly Osbourne. Actually I'll pray that she does. Not to be mean, but no one deserves that status unless youre passionate about your music, and put hardwork into it. Oh and I saw her dad at my friends sub sandwhich shop on Ventura Blvd. He's a moron too. Ryan caberrera that guy is a loser... Let me take my acoustic guitar and strum chords like a moron and sing in a girls ear to make her like me and create a rising plot for her show. Imma try not to think about it., I think Steve Vai is my only hope for music.. Honestly, 24/7 Im listening to the Ultra Zone and its keeping my sanity. Oh God, I cant wait for his new album.
spcastlemagic

My only artistic goal in life is to play guitar in the Ashlee Simpson band and make lots and lots of money. Oh, and she's not supposed to have talent... if she was singing dream theater-esque proggy stuff, it wouldn't go over well with the 8-12 year old girl bracket, which I am pretty sure you fall out of.
brainpolice

" I mean how does someone get a record deal when they haven't even started recording an album or even had any experience in singing or being in a band?"
Its as simple as association man. I know it isn't fair, but thats how it is. If you're a famous person's brother, sister, mom, dad, son, daughter, etc. you have an easy way in to fame. Nick Carter's little brother Aaron is another example. How'd he get a name? Association. Kelly Osbourne? How'd she get a name? Association with daddy. So on and so on and so forth. "I mean she doesnt even know what genre her own music is" I think shes an Anvril Lavign clone in the sense that she claims to be "punk" but theres nothing punk about it, and everything squeaky clean teenage pop about it. Hypocrisy.
I agree that it's a big crock of bullshit, but what can we do about it? It all seems to boil down to an issue of money/power basically. Those with association to famous people are likely to get a huge break without putting any effort in. The money is there, and the power is there. Meanwhile, many people have been dedicated and disciplined musicians for their whole lives and noone knows who they are outside of their own home town, let alone their own small social group. In the end though, i don't want to be one of those sell out faces on TV, so i'd rather do the best i can within a much smaller scene. If you think about it, there's a high chance that many of them will be 1-2 hit wonders and never be heard from again. They'll make a decent fortune for a while, and then make terrible financial decisions due to their materialistic fragile minds and egos, which will bring them back to where they were in the first place. A nobody. Which they were in the first place.
Plook

Evo2k0 wrote:Hey Plook whats up man. Im 19 turning 20 in november. I mean how does someone get a record deal when they haven't even started recording an album or even had any experience in singing or being in a band?
They convince the record company that they'll ensure they sell records and make money if they sign them. Period. It doesn't matter if it's a record of someone humming their favorite tunes. If they sell em and make money they don't care.

Jessica and Ashlee Simpson hum their favorites. Lol
Petie

Evo2k0 wrote:Bands out there dreammmm about getting a record deal.
Trust me, none of those bands dream about getting the kind of deal given to pop starlets.
Roy Boy

brainpolice wrote:" Its as simple as association man. I know it isn't fair, but thats how it is.
Dead set right. Just jump on a famous rellies bandwagon and go for a short term, shallow, meaningless profiteering ride :evil:
80s fan

I agree 100%. I realy feel like in my whole school im the only person listening to good music that takes talent. None of these ''rock'' bands nowadays even have that much talent. They stand there and hold a few chords and start whining. And what the fuck is up with rap? Its a bunch of fuckin drum beats made on a computer with some NON talent person talking. It takes zero skill. The only music i listen to is either instrumental stuff, or 80s stuff where there is guitar players throwing leads up in almost every song. Todays music realy sucks in my oppinion. ( out of all the music chanels the only one i watch is vh1 classic, the show metal mania is realy cool)
spcastlemagic

80s fan wrote: I realy feel like in my whole school im the only person listening to good music that takes talent... The only music i listen to is either instrumental stuff, or 80s stuff where there is guitar players throwing leads up in almost every song. Todays music realy sucks in my oppinion. ( out of all the music chanels the
I used to be this kid. I still like prog rock and such, but don't become the "I AM THE ONLY PERSON WHO LISTENS TO GOOD MUSIC LOL AM I RITE?" type. Musical elitism sucks.
Joon 'Loki' Yang

The thing about rap is that it's mostly lyricals and not instrumental. There are some phenomenal rap poets out there who hasn't yet been reached the mainstream stage.

But yeah, Ashlee Simpson is now the sole reason of why the western civilisation is degraded.