Emotional Guitarists

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
VaiEvo

5thD wrote:Wasn't SRV self taught as well? That leads to an interesting question, Anybody know which famous guitarists are self taught and which ones know Theory and whatnot?
I know these guys don't have any training and to this day I know McCartney and Starr can't read a single note.

-The Beatles (sorry, they're easily at the top of the list. If you say anyone else, I'll stab you in the face with a soddering iron.)
-Hendrix
-SRV

Also noteworthy is the Edge from U2, because he's had no training but experiments a LOT with his guitar tone with loads of effects, probably the most famous being delay.
leigh01

B.B.king
Big Bad Bill

boswell wrote:Big Bad Bill since Ains taught him the power of a single note 8)
Thanks Bozo...I mean Boswell! But my shred tendencies mean I have to pick that single note in 64ths at 210bpm! You can take the boy out of Shredsville but you can't take the Shredsville out of the boy!
VaiEvo

How about Neil Young and the one-note solos on the album (Everybody Knows) This is Nowhere?
vaiisagoodguitarplayer

Eric Clapton...Tears in Heaven...that's all I have to say. Try singing a ballad about your four-year-old son's passing into the next life without crying your eyes out. great great song
guitarbonham

I would say the not knowing any music theory thing is something you can get away with in rock. all you need is some chords and a few pentonic scales (which jimi hendrix knew) and your set. you just need to have that extra spark of creativity like hendrix page srv gilmour and ya... but if thats all steve vai had he would be much more limited in his playing. the great guitarists know as much music theory as they need to communicate themselves through music.

another thing is often times people who have perfect pitch describe pitches and chords as colors. so that is probably part of why hendrix got away with know so little theory.

but the most emotional guitarists for me are
vai
page
slash (sometimes)
gilmour
striani
PaulEMoz

Wow, this is a biiiiiig bump!

And, oh look! It's managed to drag up the ridiculous "Yngwie plays with no emotion" statements again... :roll:
jam-man

Has anyone ever heard of Vlatko Stefanovski? He is an amazing guitar player!

This is not an emotional song...just some solo part, I didn't feel like searching for the right song...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eK4JYkWZqS0
joshua202020

Jimmy Page?
BorgAngel

Gary Moore uses his emotion as well, looks cool when he plays... And I love to see Paul Gilbert play he plays so intense. If you know what I mean.
boswell

Big Bad Bill wrote:
boswell wrote:Big Bad Bill since Ains taught him the power of a single note 8)
Thanks Bozo...I mean Boswell! But my shred tendencies mean I have to pick that single note in 64ths at 210bpm! You can take the boy out of Shredsville but you can't take the Shredsville out of the boy!
pah I'm gonna work in a single note in 128ths @ 220bpm next time we jam 8)
MrConnelly
Newcomer

Thanks for the tip about Neil Zaza, i love to find new talent to listen too.

If you like John Petrucci and Andy Timmons then check this guy out, My Space has some good songs.