Emotional Guitarists

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
davemeetsworld

Hi guys, I love guitarists like Vai and Satch who can write beautiful and powerful ballads, do you guys know any other intrumental guitarists who can write similar things? I've discovered Neil Zaza, he's a bit like satch and can wrtite some good stuff, I like his song " Angel" ( for anyone in Britain it sounds a bit like the eastenders theme tune, but slower and more soulful!).

Cheers
5thD

davemeetsworld-I love guitarists like Vai and Satch who can write beautiful and powerful ballads, do you guys know any other intrumental guitarists who can write similar things?

WWW.Michaelleehill.com :-)

As far as Players that emote, Billy Gibbon's, Van Halen, Vai, Satch, And to be honest, Beatles music, Abby Road just floors me which leads to a big question, What part do you think Technique has to play as far as creating music that communicates Emotions directly into the soul?

I struggle with the answer to that question myself, I am probably technically a better guitar player than say Joe Perry, but that doesn't mean ****, There are a ton of really technically great guitarist's that I've heard that if my life depended on it, I would never be able to whistle you one of their tunes, but, I can sure whistle you an Aerosmith tune, ya know what I mean?

So how do you work on being able to write songs that are timeless & MOVE people?

For me, Steve Vai is a perfect middle ground, His talent is truly not human, I'm pretty sure he's an ET!, Yet his music also has the same kind of heart, honest & creativity I hear in the Beatles music, Satch Also, I think "Strange Beautiful Music" might be Satch's best work yet, It can bring me to tears, then the next moment make me feel like working out or driving way to fast in my car!

BTW- Neil Zaza is a buddy of mine, we both live here in Cleveland, Mind blowing guitarist! Super nice guy too!
Marty McFly

There are loads of guitarists who write beautiful compositions. Power Ballads i'm not so sure, anyway, I recommend:

Vinnie Moore
Marty Friedman (stuff from Scenes)
Jason Becker (stuff from Perspective, although Air from Perpetual Burn is superb as well!)
Steve Morse
Eric Johnson
Al Di Meola

There are so many guitarists to list, but the one's mentioned have created wonderful songs - which you may enjoy?

:)
Reaper

hmmm... it's not solo guitar, but Journey. "Who's Crying Now", "Faithfully", "Separate Ways"

also Clapton's acoustic version of "Layla"
Texter

I would like to add Yngwie Malmsteen to the list...
shader

I don't know about that...

I'd put Hendrix, Clapton, and Page, and SRV on there though.
davemeetsworld

Cheers guys, I will have to check some of these dudes out! 5thD - You know Zaza? Thats well cool!!! Tell him he's got a fan! and that Angel sounds like the theme tune to a popular british soap opera!
mange

A tough question... I've had quite a few arguments with a friend of mine . He claims that you can't be technical and play with emotion at the same time. I keep telling him that IT IS possible to combine.

It gives my soul some rest to know I ain't alone. :D
Zebula77

mange wrote:A tough question... I've had quite a few arguments with a friend of mine . He claims that you can't be technical and play with emotion at the same time. I keep telling him that IT IS possible to combine.

It gives my soul some rest to know I ain't alone. :D
I'd say that your friend is wrong, because the development of technique not only allows you to play fast stuff, but it also allows you to better express your emotions. Just put on Vai's 'For The Love Of God' and silence his arguments, because that song has some of the most emotional, yet most technically challenging playing I have ever heard.

As far as other emotional instrumental guitarists, I'd recommend Mart Friedman's 'Scenes' which is a beautiful album with mostly oriental-sounding tunes. There's some really emotional playing on that one.

Also, Jan Cyrka's 'Spirit' also has some great ballads.
F#Minor

Ahhh but look at guys like Robert Cray. So much emotion and he's a real 'less is more' kinda player.

I reckon if Steve couldn't play the guitar very well he'd still be very emotive.... but in a different way - its not his chops that give him his soul but the way he plays them...
5thD

Here is a thought, To be a great artist in any medium, you must be able to get into the zone and disconnect from the intellect, and get a stream of conciousness thing going into your creation.

"Where does this creativity come from ?" I now believe the mind is endowed with the ability to draw from an unlimited source of knowledge.

All we need to do is just believe in this natural ability. We can also draw musical wisdom from this source, by changing the focus of our consciousness, we can tap into the source, the music then comes from this larger reservoir instead of our own conscious minds.

I believe music can expand the consciousness of the listener, I also believe music can bring about different mental states in the listener, Music can relax, stimulate, or anger the listener. Music can make you remember past events that you are not consciously aware of. Music makes you FEEL.

I believe guitarists that create from there own conscious mind/the intellect do not tap into this larger reservoir.

Some lyrics that seem fitting from Faith No More...

The Real Thing

I know the feeling
It is the real thing
The essence of the truth
The perfect moment
That golden moment
I know you feel it too
I know the feeling
It is the real thing
You can't refuse the embrace...

Like the sacred song that someone sings through you
Like the flesh so warm that the thorn sticks into
Like the dream you know one day will come to life
Try to hold on just a little longer, stronger
It's the jewel of victory
The chasm of misery
And once you have bitten the core
You will always know the flavor
The split second of divinity
You drink up the sky
All of heaven is in your arms
You know the reason why
It's right there, all by itself
And what you are, there is nothing else
You're growing a life within a life
The lips of wonder kiss you inside
And when it's over the feeling remains
It all comes down to this
The smoke clears, I see what it is
That made me feel this way...
Last edited by 5thD on Mon May 19, 2003 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greg

I can't believe I haven't heard JEFF BECK mentioned yet. Check out his song, "Cause we've ended as lovers".
Zebula77

Ooh, yeah and his song 'Where Were You' which has the most beautiful use of natural harmonics I've ever heard. It's a very emotional song as well. Check it out - it's on his 'Guitar Shop' album.
rumborak
Newcomer

Texter wrote:I would like to add Yngwie Malmsteen to the list...
I'd like to take Yngwie off the list again...

rumborak
GGGrev

rumborak wrote:
Texter wrote:I would like to add Yngwie Malmsteen to the list...
I'd like to take Yngwie off the list again...

rumborak
! Yes! How can Yngwie ever be on that list!?!?!?!? :evil: