delete

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
brainsaber

#16 Post by brainsaber » Thu May 15, 2003 9:33 am

delete
Last edited by brainsaber on Fri Jul 04, 2003 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

badhorsie551

#17 Post by badhorsie551 » Thu May 15, 2003 11:36 pm

i used to think that hendrix wasnt all that great but thats before i really started to listen.

sure his playing wasnt superfast or anything but who was shredding like vai,yngwie etc etc back in 67-70? NO ONE.

the way hendrix wrote songs and performed him gave guitarists a new approach to the instrument , how to make it SCREAM, or sing, instead of strumming away on barre chords.

he's one of the few electric guitarists that really changed the way people played guitar and wrote music.

just for a random note here are some of my favorite hendrix songs

castles made of sand ( what a wicked intro )
wind cries mary
bold as love
spanish castle magic
purple haze (man the intro just blows my mind)
51st anniversary
have you ever been to electric lady land?
ONE RAINY WISH!!! (oh man what a beautiful song)

lol come to think about it , i love more of his softer songs than the hard rocking ones.

if there was no jimi we would have a really different musical world right now.

F#Minor

#18 Post by F#Minor » Fri May 16, 2003 7:03 am

Yeah Axis is the best Hendrix album - it has so much of Hendrix's personality stamped on it.

I have Total Guitar Issue 100 (A British Magazine) with the top 100 guitarists on it.

The top ten were:
10: VAI - (interesting little description about him too. Very even handed.)
9: Hammet
8: Dave Gilmour (excellent ;))
7: EVH
6: Satch (nevermind ;))
5: Brian May (cool!)
4: Slash
3: Clapton
2: Jimmy Page
1: HENDRIX (Excellent choice)

It also has famous guitar players top 5.
Vai wrote:
5: Danny Gatton
4: Satch
3: Brian May
2: Jimi Hendrix
1: Jimmy Page

Interesting...

(Sorry if any of that post seemed biased ;))

Drew

#19 Post by Drew » Thu May 22, 2003 7:50 am

Hendrix is a sticky subject... He is undoubtably one of the most overrated players out there (i give that distinction to clapton, who hasn't turned anything notable out, from a guitarists perspective, anyway, since the Howlin' Wolf London Sessions, IMO), but I'm not sure how much of that is his fault- not even Hendrix can live up to the myth of Hendrix.

It's just something that's always irritated me... I remember one day in freshman year I was working on the solo to "Always with Me..." when my roomate and a friend of his came into our room. It was one of the faster bits, so I was playing something fairly technically demanding, and they were kinda like, "cool." So then his friend asked, "Know any Jimi?" and I broke into the intro to "hey Joe," which is comparatively a cakewalk. The guy went, "oh my god, you're amazing!" Jimi's reputation in popular culture is just ridiculously blown out of proportion- everyone hears the name and assumes his mucis must be impossible to play or something.

That said, Jimi is also probably my favorite blues player. I've been on a big Hubert Sumlin kick lately (some of his riffs with Wolf are just too cool, and he's a HELL of a soloist), and you can't understand what Hendrix did without understanding what Buddy Guy was also trying to do at the same time (I've seen some SCARY live videos of the guy from the mid-late 60's), but Jimi's blues playing has this incredible, larger-than-life swagger to it. I think "Are You Experienced may be the best introduction to Hendrix as a musician/songwriter, perhaps, but for Hendrix as a guitarist, specifically as a blues guitarist, the "Hendrix: Blues" release is where it's at. I wasn't that much into blues when I first got the album, so the fact it wasn't as "song" based as his studio work put me off for a while, but that disc is still where I draw most of my inspiration for blues guitar.

It's also one of the best driving CD's I own. ;)

Incidentally, Re: Hendrix and the pentatonic minor scale, while he used them a lot his playing was also fairly diatonic, and especially in his bluesier licks, there's a LOT of chord tones you'll see him using... So while it may be notated as "pentatonic minor," there's also going to be a lot of accidentals in the score... ;)

Anyway, the upshot of this is I love the man's playing, but pop culture needs to just let it go a bit...

-Drew

brainsaber

#20 Post by brainsaber » Thu May 22, 2003 12:17 pm

delete
Last edited by brainsaber on Fri Jul 04, 2003 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

byzee

#21 Post by byzee » Fri May 23, 2003 3:19 am

Hendrix is Zeus.

Blue_Powder

#22 Post by Blue_Powder » Fri May 23, 2003 6:29 am

When all is said and done in my day guitar playing begins and ends with Hendrix. To dismiss him as anything but revolutionary is to discount almost every peice of popular music being made today. He was an is the reason the tubes grow hot, the amps feedback and the groove remains supreme.

Talk all you want...but if you don't hear it in his music it isn't because it aint there....it's because you didn't want to hear it.

mange

#23 Post by mange » Fri May 23, 2003 8:48 am

Blue_Powder wrote:When all is said and done in my day guitar playing begins and ends with Hendrix. To dismiss him as anything but revolutionary is to discount almost every peice of popular music being made today. He was an is the reason the tubes grow hot, the amps feedback and the groove remains supreme.

Talk all you want...but if you don't hear it in his music it isn't because it aint there....it's because you didn't want to hear it.

Well said!!! :D

Plook

#24 Post by Plook » Fri May 23, 2003 9:20 am

I love Jimi Hendrix. I think he has a ton of great tunes. For the time he was unreal on guitar and transformed how we play.

I really don't think that he would be in the where are we now file on VH1. I think his writing was too strong to end up there. He was too strong of a singer.

A few of my favorite Jimi tunes are:

Sailing
Freedom
Easy Rider
Burning the Midnight lamp

Insert A Nickname

#25 Post by Insert A Nickname » Fri May 23, 2003 3:58 pm

Jimi is great. He's one of the best, and he's not overrated. Kirk Hammet is overrated. Have you hear the black album solos? wah-wah and pentatonics all the way!. It's annoying.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Do you think that's air you're breathing now?"

Peace 8)

Reaper

#26 Post by Reaper » Fri May 23, 2003 4:10 pm

Kirk, overrated? We're talking effect here, not skill...

shader

#27 Post by shader » Fri May 23, 2003 4:30 pm

i know how to play most of the black album, and a bunch of other hammet solos... i've never heard a pentatonic hammet solo.. he seemed to like the natural minor and phygrian scales alot though.

Blue_Powder

#28 Post by Blue_Powder » Sun May 25, 2003 9:00 am

Kirk is what I tend to call an "appropriate" player. His solos fit but they're really not a "guitar players solo"....which is fine with me. If I want that sort of thing I'll listen to a slew of other bands that do that sort of thing.

To keep it topical...there was a rumpr awhile ago that Kirk owned Hendrix' Wah and used it on tour. Any ttrhuth to this? I wonder where alot of Hendrix' gear got dispersed to over the years.

brainsaber

#29 Post by brainsaber » Mon May 26, 2003 8:00 am

delete
Last edited by brainsaber on Fri Jul 04, 2003 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

5thD

#30 Post by 5thD » Fri May 30, 2003 6:27 pm

Here is a quote from Steve Vai talking about Hendrix, This should be a boost for all of us "Non-technical" Guitarists out there!

"I thank God he wasn't a technical player or a shredder, because God knows how his music would have turned out. He was playing from somewhere else, he was really a kind of hybrid, and I can't even begin to imagine where he came from." - Steve Vai

BTW- That was from from the Guitar Legends "Jimi Live" magazine