What would u prefer?

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.

Fav. Band out of these. (some new stuff)

Dream Theater
16%
Dream Theater
16%
Dream Theater
16%
Dream Theater
16%
Pearl Jam
2%
Pearl Jam
2%
Pearl Jam
2%
Pearl Jam
2%
Nirvana
3%
Nirvana
3%
Nirvana
3%
Nirvana
3%
Sound Garden
2%
Sound Garden
2%
Sound Garden
2%
Sound Garden
2%
Audioslave
1%
Audioslave
1%
Audioslave
1%
Audioslave
1%
Metallica
2%
Metallica
2%
Metallica
2%
Metallica
2%

Total votes: 172
TheMillionthFret
Newcomer

simple poll .. check it out
Psychlone

Smart-assed as it may sound, I'm gonna cast my ballot in the "none of the above" category. Wait, let me explain...

I've never heard anything by Dream Theater or Soundgarden. Pearl Jam annoys the crap out of me. I HATE Vedder's clenched-teeth voice and that thrice-damned "flannel" vibe. Nirvana is OK for about one song... Audioslave can be cool(ish), but they're kind of a heavy-handed, slogging group (and Tom Morello seems to be trying like hell to win "Most Lethargic Guitarist". If he ever writes a riff with more than, oh, four notes in it I think he'll self-destruct). Metallica. Well, um, yeah. I like "Whiskey in the Jar". Other than that, Hetfield's stuck-in-overdrive rasping gets old real quick. And as has been noted, Hammett can sometimes fail to deliver the goods. So generally speaking, this is a pretty dire poll for me.

Feel free to flame me to a crispy cinder for any of the above, I know I deserve it.[/i]
Gulliver

Psychlone wrote: Smart-assed as it may sound, I'm gonna cast my ballot in the "none of the above" category. Wait, let me explain...

I've never heard anything by Dream Theater or Soundgarden. Pearl Jam annoys the crap out of me.
Feel free to flame me to a crispy cinder for any of the above, I know I deserve it.[/i]
If you like Vai's music, do yourself a favor - check out Dream Theater.
(IMO, Soundgarden is very similar to Pearl Jam, so do not check 'em. :lol: )
But DT... Man, they are awesome! I would call them "The Kings of Prog-Metal".
Recommended albums:

Images and Words
Awake
Falling into Infinity
Scenes from a Memory
Henrique Henriques

What kinda CRAPPY POLL is this??
The Bands don't even fall in the same category, except maybe in a GENERAL rock category.

My vote goes for Sr. Cabeça de Batata.

FTS.

HH.(Gtdork)
Plook

I must say there's only one band in there that I'd really listen to on a semi regular basis. That's DT and I barely listen to them anymore.

Dude do yourself a favor and go listen to Dream Theater.
guitar_fan

come on man, the bands you name can't even compare to DT
nirvana?
Bono

Definatley Dream Theater...in my honest opinion, no band in history has had a combination of such fine musicians...I mean John Petrucci is on par with the greatest in the world, Jordan Rudess is a keyboard magician (I urge everybody to hear his solo on the Live New York 3 disc set), Mike Portnoy is a drum freak (with the biggest drum kit ever lol) and John Myung stands in the corner, but is without a doubt one of the best bass players in the world. I've never really got into Metallica or any of the other bands listed. I just think that a band like Dream Theater are one of those rare occurences where a band isn't just relying on one front man/amazing player to drag them along, but rather the whole band are technically amazing. (By the way, please don't take this the wrong way - I'm not saying that a band is crap unless their players are technically amazing :D )
Ryan Layton
Banned

i agree with bono. everyone in that band is simply a monster. you forgot to mention that friggin amazing singer! :lol: i think steve's band is the same, but its STEVE's band so he will most always have the spot light.
Godfather

I am going to have to go with DT here as well, but I disagree with the point that they have an awesome singer. I think they have an overwrought singer who loses it live. I don't like LaBrie's attack on singing, his appraoch if you will. He seems to have only two singing methods: full throated high pitched whine, or the whisper. The whisper I can tolerate, but DT are a band i listen to for the music and not the vocals. Studio recordings are better though.
Henrique Henriques

Godfather wrote:I am going to have to go with DT here as well, but I disagree with the point that they have an awesome singer. I think they have an overwrought singer who loses it live. I don't like LaBrie's attack on singing, his appraoch if you will. He seems to have only two singing methods: full throated high pitched whine, or the whisper. The whisper I can tolerate, but DT are a band i listen to for the music and not the vocals. Studio recordings are better though.
LaBrie SUCKS!!!
I mean come on!!!! If you can't do it live, then you just can't do it!!! :evil:

HH.
Ryan Layton
Banned

ive never seen them live, but i honestly like his voice. wait for sleep is amazing. that must be the whisper you are talking about. i think Glass Prison shows off his vocals nicely. if you think he sucks, thats fine with me, im not a huge fan. we all have opinions
Reaper

Ryan Layton wrote:ive never seen them live, but i honestly like his voice. wait for sleep is amazing. that must be the whisper you are talking about. i think Glass Prison shows off his vocals nicely. if you think he sucks, thats fine with me, im not a huge fan. we all have opinions
I never understood the complaints about his voice until I saw them live... and when he sings live, his voice is much more nasal than on the recording. He's still a damned good singer, though.

I just wish DT would drop the pretentious bulls***.
Godfather

Ryan: Listen to the live albums, there are enough of them :P, and then tell me what yoy think of his voice. As I said above, the studio recordings are comparitively fine, but live, very nasal.
Henrique Henriques

Not only he has a very nasal voice, but he sings a lot out of pitch!
Dude can't keep it in the right key!!
In a studio recording you can always use Pro Tools to correct your mistakes...
LaBrie Sucks...end of story

WE ARE ALREADY GOING WAY OFF TOPIC HERE!!!

HH.
Gulliver

guitar_fan wrote:come on man, the bands you name can't even compare to DT
nirvana?
That's the reason why TheMillionthFret called it a "simple poll", me thinks. 8)