virgil donati

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
justlovetheguitar

:D hello all...i saw virgil donati here in holland and he was great!
with tony and philip..
i would like to know who has seen him with vai?
i hope steve is going to tour soon..in holland
beye all

greetz a girl from holland
Nilsefix

Well , i sure doesnt hope that Virgil Donati has made Vai a metal-head in his style ... i saw a video from the Mothership , and it was heavy shit.,.. didnt sound like Vai atalll .. :( :( :(

ULTRAZONE and SEX&RELIGION and ALIVE IN ULTRAWORLD
POWER :D :D :D

-=Nilsefix=-
Fionn
Newcomer

i think Donati is one of the greatest drummers of all time, if not the greatest. i just love his style so much.

is he on the DVD they're working on now? that would be amazing!
davester1234

yes he is :D
Texter

Seen him with Planet X, Vai and Tony. Shook his hand afterwards and had him autograph some stuff. He was very modest and he's a great drummer indeed. 8)
ChickenScratch

I saw Virgil at G3 with Vai a couple years ago. The man's a monster, I got him to sign my Planet X and Ring Of Fire albums as well as the one Mark Boals solo album he did that became Ring Of Fire.

Virgil with Vai on record would rule so much, and yes I'm a straight up metalhead!
Plook

Being a drummer i can say that this guy is such a monster.

the guy practices 8 hours a day. He looks at it like he's punching in his time card at work.

My friend works at a music store where they hosted a clinic by him. My buddy said he was sooo shy.

If you like his stuff with Planet X you should check out his more recent solo efforts. They rock just as much if not more.
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

Nilsefix wrote:Well , i sure doesnt hope that Virgil Donati has made Vai a metal-head in his style ... i saw a video from the Mothership , and it was heavy ****.,.. didnt sound like Vai atalll .. :( :( :(

ULTRAZONE and SEX&RELIGION and ALIVE IN ULTRAWORLD
POWER :D :D :D

-=Nilsefix=-
That wasn't Virgi Donati, it was Jeremy Colson.

I don't think you can form a solid impression of the new album from 30 seconds of video clip, but many of the tracks do have a heavier feel to them. Still, Steve is diverse , so there's always variety in all his albums.

Peace,

Mikey
vai.com
Junebughunter

My friend Blake saw him at a clinic...got his autograph and everything got to meet with him and jam a little...Blake is an amazing drummer himself...

Anyway I think the guy the had the first response was thinking about the new clip of Jeremy Colson the newest drummer...and if you think that is heavy listen to Sex & Religion one more time
Texter

Terry Bozzio is ofcourse a drumming maniac. :shock:
Mr. Canadian

Vinnie Colaiuta is an alien! Here read this story...

Vai On Colaiuta
I was just enamored with Vinnie. Back in the Frank days, his whole approach, when I heard Vinnie play, his phrasing - it satisfied something in my heart. It was easy to get certain rhythmic gratification from straight up-and-down-type players. Playing grooves, alternate grooves here and there. But Vinnie just came in and threw a wrench into the works. The guy is an alien. He was able to touch buttons with his sense of polyrhythms that no one has ever done. Frank's band was the perfect soundboard for that. I started transcribing his playing for The Frank Zappa Book. I mean, there's five to six different notations for the hi-hat! [laughs]

I'll tell you a really great Vinnie story. He's one of the most amazing sight-readers that ever existed on the instrument. One day we were in a Frank rehearsal, this was early '80s, and Frank brought in this piece of music called "Mo 'N Herb's Vacation." Just unbelievably complex. All the drums were written out, just like "The Black Page" except even more complex. There were these runs of like 17 over 3 and every drumhead is notated differently. And there were a whole bunch of people there, I think Bozzio was there.

Vinnie had this piece of music on the stand to his right. To his left he had another music stand with a plate of sushi on it, okay? Now the tempo of the piece was very slow, like "The Black Page." And then the first riff came in, [mimics bizarre Zappa-esque drum rhythm patterns] with all these choking of cymbals, and hi-hat, ruffs, spinning of rototoms and all this crazy stuff. And I saw Vinnie reading this thing.

Now, Vinnie has this habit of pushing his glasses up with the middle finger of his right hand. Well I saw him look at this one bar of music, it was the last bar of music on the page. He started to play it as he was turning the page with one hand, and then once the page was turned he continued playing the riff with his right hand, as he reached over with his left hand, grabbed a piece of sushi and put it in his mouth, continued the riff with his left hand and feet, pushed his glasses up, and then played the remaining part of the bar.

It was the sickest thing I have ever seen. Frank threw his music up in the air. Bozzio turned around and walked away. I just started laughing.
Junebughunter

Wow that is such a great story where are you quoting that from?
Plook

It's kind of ironic that Vinnie and Steve haven't recorded anything together, seeing that they both live in LA.

I have a couple Vinnie stories, but I'll have to start another thread.
Kirk
Newcomer

Have met Virgil a few times and he a very modest Man but yet friendly.
I have sat five feet from him while playing and the Guy is truly AMAZING.
A direct quote from Simon Phillips another awesome drummer "Virgil is the most technically amazing drummer I have ever seen or heard" in last years Modern Drummer. Or Dave Weckl saying "Look At Virgil Man, how much would someone have to practice to be that good! Or a quick Bryan Beller story. Virg was asked to do a gig that was total improv. So he shows up the day of the gig not even knowing Bryan and Keneally from what I read sets up his drums, tunes them up and they start playing off the cuff and he blows them away. Bryan said virg was the glue holding it all together and he said Virgil did so many things other drummers could not do. he said it was like playing with Vinnie Colaiuta, Dave Weckl, Mike Mangini and Tommy Aldridge all at the same time. Pretty high praise.

I saw him at PASIC in Florida, and was able to watch him warm up and Good Grief his routine was ridiculous, made me want to almost give up and say what the heck, but he is inspiring at the same time.

His On The Virg 'Serious Young Insects" solo disc is flat out Incredible.
Fusion that kicks your teeth in, an Awesome disc and he is working on putting out his follow up this year from what I know.

And yeah Vinnie is absolutely fantastic, one of my all time faves. Technique, taste and diversity all the time.

Regards Kirk
brainiac
Newcomer

Virgil played at Guitar Center here in El Cerrito CA. and it was just amazing.

Incredible.

What was sad however was the lack of appreciation by some of the boneheads in attendance.

Walking in front of his kit while in the middle of his solo... Have some respect! Even if he wasn't as good as he is, it's still just bad upbringing to walk between the audience and the performer. It was embarassing.

Actually, Virgil mentioned it politely if it would be possible for people to walk around the crowd rather than right in front of where he was playing, then a girl nonchalantly walks in front of his kit just as he finished requesting that they don't... Well, at least he wasn't drumming then.

Anyway, I learned some interesting things from his clinic as he gave a handout and I have been applying it to my guitar playing and while in the car I have been working on my paradiddle layering.

Damn it feels good to live in interesting times!

Vinnie is amazing indeed.

Gary Husband
Tony Williams
Terry Bozzio
Mike Mangini
Morgan Agren
Dennis Chambers
Chad Wackerman
Bill Bruford
Vinnie and Virg!

That's a pretty good top ten list (in no particular order!)