New JS Album - "Is There Love In Space"

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
sonny sixshooter

Yup. I will. And I like "Is There Love in Space" as well.
Tony S

Me too !

Not sure why you suddenly had to reaffirm your negativity towards this album after all this time Lydian7 ?
lydian7

Tony S wrote:Me too !

Not sure why you suddenly had to reaffirm your negativity towards this album after all this time Lydian7 ?
Because everyone was saying to give it time, maybe it'll grow on you? It didn't unfortunately, and I have little faith in Satriani's current musical endevours. He used to be a very experimental artist, always diving into to new musical territories with new and interesting tonal ideas. Now he seems to have adopted a very loose, bluesy tone, and his melodies and compositions don't seem as accomplished or ambitious as his pre-Crystal Planet pieces (I have my reservations about Engines too). But maybe he hasn't changed at all. Maybe I've just grown older and I'm looking at his older material through rose-tinted glasses?

Am I the only person who thought Is their Love in Space was his worst album to date? I'd be interested to hear from his long time fans now that the hype is over. Is this a classic Satriani album? :?
Bono

I wouldn't say its his worst album, but it isn't really a classic Satch album...I would probably say its his best since Crystal Planet, but can't touch the magic that CP, Extremist or Surfing.. had. I'm still undecided whether I prefer this or Strange Beautiful Music to be honest, though I've been debating that for a long time. I still listen to it fairly regularly, though some of the tunes I don't really like (Souls of Distortion for example). There are some killer tracks on it though, in my opinion (like Gnaahh & Bamboo), and I remember thinking that all the songs he played live from the album sound much better than the record - but most Satch and Vai songs do lol. I think the problem is with someone like Satch (and I guess with any artist who has had a few awesome albums in the past) is that we're always going to compare it to their best. I remember doing this with U2's latest album, comparing it to Achtung Baby & Joshua Tree, and I'll probably do exactly the same with Steves new album...comparing it to Fire Garden & AIAUW.
lydian7

Bono wrote:I think the problem is with someone like Satch (and I guess with any artist who has had a few awesome albums in the past) is that we're always going to compare it to their best. I remember doing this with U2's latest album, comparing it to Achtung Baby & Joshua Tree, and I'll probably do exactly the same with Steves new album...comparing it to Fire Garden & AIAUW.
Yeah but come on, does Steve ever let us down? His albums and musical direction just seems to get more and more focused. I remember when I first heard Ultrazone after the 3 year hiatus from Fire Garden, and that opening track just blew me away emotionally. I just think Satch has lost the enthusiasm that drove him in the past, while Vai's drive just keeps getting stronger and stronger.
sonny sixshooter

lydian7 wrote:I just think Satch has lost the enthusiasm that drove him in the past, while Vai's drive just keeps getting stronger and stronger.
I just think you are expecting a Vai album, when buying a Satch record.
Tony S

lydian7 wrote:
Tony S wrote:Me too !

Because everyone was saying to give it time, maybe it'll grow on you? It didn't unfortunately, and I have little faith in Satriani's current musical endevours. He used to be a very experimental artist, always diving into to new musical territories with new and interesting tonal ideas. Now he seems to have adopted a very loose, bluesy tone, and his melodies and compositions don't seem as accomplished or ambitious as his pre-Crystal Planet pieces (I have my reservations about Engines too). But maybe he hasn't changed at all. Maybe I've just grown older and I'm looking at his older material through rose-tinted glasses?

Am I the only person who thought Is their Love in Space was his worst album to date? I'd be interested to hear from his long time fans now that the hype is over. Is this a classic Satriani album? :?
Ok. Good enough reason to raise the topic again :wink:

It is a shame that you have become disillusioned with his output to the extent that you have lost interest.

From my point of view, I can only say that I don't necessarily look for every album from an artist to be highly experimental and diving into new territories. Especially when you get to their 10th album or so ! Its all music, and its either good music or bad, and in my view Joe still makes good music. I'm speaking as someone who first heard of him before Surfing With The Alien, so I bought Not of This Earth first, and then all the others in sequence as time went by. And its not that I think Joe is the guitar messiah and can do no wrong, so cannot be criticised !

I still listen to ITLIS every so often, and enjoy it every time. If there is one track that I sometimes skip it would be Souls of Distortion. The rest of it, I really like !
anuj

personally, over time, i like it even more.

i can listen to searching endlessly :)

~A
Bono

lydian7 wrote:
Bono wrote:I think the problem is with someone like Satch (and I guess with any artist who has had a few awesome albums in the past) is that we're always going to compare it to their best. I remember doing this with U2's latest album, comparing it to Achtung Baby & Joshua Tree, and I'll probably do exactly the same with Steves new album...comparing it to Fire Garden & AIAUW.
Yeah but come on, does Steve ever let us down? His albums and musical direction just seems to get more and more focused. I remember when I first heard Ultrazone after the 3 year hiatus from Fire Garden, and that opening track just blew me away emotionally. I just think Satch has lost the enthusiasm that drove him in the past, while Vai's drive just keeps getting stronger and stronger.
Well it's all down to personal taste. I've said on this thread before that I don't like the Ultra Zone album apart from one or two tracks, but I know others love it. Has Steve ever let us down? Well, in my opinion he hasn't, but then in my opinion, neither has Satriani ;)
lydian7

sonny sixshooter wrote:
lydian7 wrote:I just think Satch has lost the enthusiasm that drove him in the past, while Vai's drive just keeps getting stronger and stronger.
I just think you are expecting a Vai album, when buying a Satch record.
Actually I'm not. I'm one of the people who loved the Joe Satriani album, and I thought the way in which he recorded with a live jazz band was a very bold move, and it showed Satchs extremely high level of musicianship with little chopping and studio over-dubs going on. I can see I'm in a vast minority by saying he hasn't produced a good album since Crystal Planet, but his new music just isn't hitting the spot at all. It's as if his new music seems colourless to me, and the strong melodies and strange mystical tonalities that I used to associate with Satriani's writing style are missing. Also his solos are just very jammy, and they don't seem to have as much melodic progression as his older solos.
sonny sixshooter

What I meant was, that it seems you expect him to do th esame things Vai does, which isn't his style. I like his way of experimenting. I, for one, find Engines of Creation really cool and expressive!
But I know what you mean, I feel the same way about Metallica. Theye were so cool, and now they are not. But I think the direction they took after the Black Album (well, actually starting with that same album) was the right choice for them. Unfortunately it wasn't for me.
FINGERS76

lydian7 wrote:Yeah but come on, does Steve ever let us down? His albums and musical direction just seems to get more and more focused. I remember when I first heard Ultrazone after the 3 year hiatus from Fire Garden, and that opening track just blew me away emotionally. I just think Satch has lost the enthusiasm that drove him in the past, while Vai's drive just keeps getting stronger and stronger.
Yes. I don't like Fire Garden or Flex-able.
EyesOfFire0221

lets just say this if it wasnt for joe i would never have been a vai fan . and i support both musicians i think they both are awesome guitar playerrs in there own special way

Tiffany
lydian7

EyesOfFire0221 wrote:lets just say this if it wasnt for joe i would never have been a vai fan . and i support both musicians i think they both are awesome guitar playerrs in there own special way

Tiffany
#

That's true of me too. I first fell in love with Satriani's music after hearing Midnight, and then I worked my way through his entire discography. The first Vai album I bought was Alien love Secrets, and I got into Vai's music just in time for the release of Fire Garden! :D

What I'm trying to say in regards to this topic is, I was a huge huge fan of Satriani's, and he influenced me just as much as Vai has influenced me over the years. I've lost interest in his new music though, and I think a part of me is a little saddened by this. I just wish he would release an album that was a little deeper, that you could sink your teeth into, but I feel he's trying to please his younger audience too much.
Bono

lydian7 wrote:
EyesOfFire0221 wrote:lets just say this if it wasnt for joe i would never have been a vai fan . and i support both musicians i think they both are awesome guitar playerrs in there own special way

Tiffany
#

That's true of me too. I first fell in love with Satriani's music after hearing Midnight, and then I worked my way through his entire discography. The first Vai album I bought was Alien love Secrets, and I got into Vai's music just in time for the release of Fire Garden! :D

What I'm trying to say in regards to this topic is, I was a huge huge fan of Satriani's, and he influenced me just as much as Vai has influenced me over the years. I've lost interest in his new music though, and I think a part of me is a little saddened by this. I just wish he would release an album that was a little deeper, that you could sink your teeth into, but I feel he's trying to please his younger audience too much.
I think he's trying to hide the fact that he's pushing 50 ;) lol