Login with a social network:

It is currently Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Absolute pitch
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:09 am 
Newcomer

Does anybody poses that ability of "absolute" or "perfect" pitch?
(ability to say which note is sounding just by hearing a note without finding it on instrument or comparing to other notes)
If some can do that,please explain how hi do that,what it feels like , or anything that colud help to achieve that ability

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:40 am 

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH :shock: :shock: :shock:

just use the forum search there are tons of threads on this! :lol:

But...to attempt to answer your question anyway....you cannot achieve perfect pitch, you have to be born with it.

You can get very good relative pitch with years of practice.
There is someone in my music theory class who was not bron with perfect pitch, but after years of playing the piano, he can distinguish any note/interval.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:51 am 

im getting ok at it, im perfect yet but i can tell what keys songs are in and stuff like that, most of the time anyway, D G E A are the easiest for my to spot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:47 am 

GregN, yur a bit wrong I'm afraid.

I used to be bad at telling which tone it is by just hearing the tone but now I can do it and I'm correct all the time. (and I've played for 2 1/2 years)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:05 pm 

Both my dad and my brother claim to have 'perfect pitch' and they reckon that it's something you either have or don't have, you can't learn the ability to have perfect pitch. Although obviously you can learn to recognise notes, but that's not actually the same as having perfect pitch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:40 pm 

I tuned my 555 today cuz i heard it was out and I was amazed I was SPOT on with my tuning! Usually im within half

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:26 am 

saraht wrote:
Both my dad and my brother claim to have 'perfect pitch' and they reckon that it's something you either have or don't have, you can't learn the ability to have perfect pitch. Although obviously you can learn to recognise notes, but that's not actually the same as having perfect pitch.
Claim? haven't you tested them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:30 am 

I have perfect pitch control when flying 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:15 am 

Show off!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:57 am 

saraht wrote:
they reckon that it's something you either have or don't have, you can't learn the ability to have perfect pitch.

How the hell would they know?

Perfect pitch is obtainable, some people require extensive ear training others pick it up pretty much immediately. It's a sliding scale and everyone has a place on it.

My brother had pretty much instantaneous perfect pitch but I always had good relative pitch and ear development and training developed it. The main advantage is being able to tune instruments without tuners, but sometimes if an orchestra or someone is playing with an instrument tuned to a note that was off to start with it can sometimes take a few seconds to adjust without your ear going crazy lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:35 am 

acoates wrote:
How the hell would they know?

Perfect pitch is obtainable, some people require extensive ear training others pick it up pretty much immediately. It's a sliding scale and everyone has a place on it.

My brother had pretty much instantaneous perfect pitch but I always had good relative pitch and ear development and training developed it. The main advantage is being able to tune instruments without tuners, but sometimes if an orchestra or someone is playing with an instrument tuned to a note that was off to start with it can sometimes take a few seconds to adjust without your ear going crazy lol.

What do you mean 'how the hell would they know?' Who the hell are you? :roll: No need to get defensive!

If you must know, I believe it's because someone can say to them to sing a certain note and they can sing it straight away. And apparently, not everyone has the ability to be able to do that or something. And no Big Bad Bill, I've never 'tested either of them' because I don't really care, to be honest! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:55 am 

acoates wrote:

Yes but surely by definition, those on the lower end of the scale do not have perfect pitch. You can't have a 'sliding scale' of perfection!

I'm not sounding very 'communist' here am I? :lol: (referring to the Frank Zappa / politics thread)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:46 am 

Oh saraht, test them-for me! Play various tones to them and see how they do!

I've worked with some people who research absolute pitch at Montreal University. As far as I know they've never actually investigated acquiring AP, but have done lots of work on those born with the ability and I'm familiar with the phenomenon. I suspect you can't re-acquire the same sort of AP as someone who has retained it from birth, because you'd have to 'grow' new areas in the brain and you can't grow more neurones! I think you can memorise tones and give the illusion of having AP but it's not the same thing. This is informed speculation, I hasten to add!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:20 pm 

I was born with perfect pitch. It's a gift... and a curse. (sorry, quoting Monk)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:25 am 

saraht wrote:
What do you mean 'how the hell would they know?' Who the hell are you? :roll: No need to get defensive!

If you must know, I believe it's because someone can say to them to sing a certain note and they can sing it straight away. And apparently, not everyone has the ability to be able to do that or something. And no Big Bad Bill, I've never 'tested either of them' because I don't really care, to be honest! :lol:

I'm not concerned about how they know they have perfect pitch, of course they would know that, more the statement that they somehow are aware of it being something no one who isn't born with it can obtain just because they have it themselves. Of course not everyone can do it, most would require extensive musical training to get to that level.

saraht wrote:
Yes but surely by definition, those on the lower end of the scale do not have perfect pitch. You can't have a 'sliding scale' of perfection!

Oh come on if you can't work out that I was talking about a scale of the ear's ability to identify notes that goes from total tone-deaf upwards then you really need to use your noggin a bit more.