Possible guitarists for the next G3 Show..

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
guitar_fan

Possible guitarists for the next G3 Show..

#1 Post by guitar_fan » Wed Dec 31, 2003 11:36 pm

anyone knows who would the next g3 guest guitarist would be and when? i missed the last one in vancouver and i definitely regrets it. satch said he had been tryin' to get kirk hammet, van helan and jeff beck, but they all refused, why do you think they refused? and who would be your favorite guest?

GuitarMaster1962

#2 Post by GuitarMaster1962 » Thu Jan 01, 2004 11:25 am

I'd kill to see those three guitarists you named at G3. Heck, I don't care who plays, I just wanna see Vai on that stage this year again!

guitar_fan

#3 Post by guitar_fan » Thu Jan 01, 2004 11:59 am

i would like to see steve lukather, paul gilbert, marty friedman, george lych, steve morse or andy timmons in g3, but as long as vai and satch, it doesn't matter to me, i just have to get a chance to see it live. did any of you got the new lukather christmas cd? how was it? it is too hard to find

dex

#4 Post by dex » Fri Jan 02, 2004 3:17 am

Satch posted on Satriani.com that he is planing European G3 this summer.
Will be fun to see them take the Yng man again and Freak Kitchen as a worm up act. :twisted:

ilia

Bono

#5 Post by Bono » Fri Jan 02, 2004 12:45 pm

dex wrote:Satch posted on Satriani.com that he is planing European G3 this summer.
Will be fun to see them take the Yng man again and Freak Kitchen as a worm up act. :twisted:

ilia
I just really hope that when/if they come back to Europe, STEVE IS INCLUDED!!! Remember Satch doing G3 a couple of years ago? Steve didn't come along, it was Michael Sheneka and Uli Jon Roth (according to a poster I've got anyway lol).

I think Petrucci was amazing, I hope Yngwie matched him - from what I heard though, he was a bit off.

justlovetheguitar

g3

#6 Post by justlovetheguitar » Tue Jan 06, 2004 4:16 pm

i hope that he brings virgil donati with him..
i heard that that jeremy is not that good
ive seen virgil a couple of times and he is realy good
the best!
ilse

fyrie

#7 Post by fyrie » Tue Jan 06, 2004 5:04 pm

Ok ok... Jeremy ROCKS. I mean the man doesn't have a lot of chops, but really the guy is just intense as heck.

I'm all for Beck, but you know who I'd like to see on a G3? Reeves Gabrels. Seriously this guy is where it's at + he is now on favored nations.

Rochus

#8 Post by Rochus » Mon Jan 12, 2004 8:10 am

[Prayer] Please come to Holland with the European G3 Tour [/Prayer]

frankie

#9 Post by frankie » Mon Jan 12, 2004 3:35 pm

I'd love to see nuno or EVH.

And in regards to drummers - seen virgil live and he's breathtaking but Jeremy is awesome too - just grab a copy of his old band's (Dali's Dilema) album Manifesto for Futurism.... Great album and awesome drumming... 8)

Gabe Nickelson

#10 Post by Gabe Nickelson » Mon Jan 19, 2004 4:22 pm

I gotta vote for Rob Balducci, Andy Timmons, or Paul Gilbert. Maybe even throw in George Lynch or Reb Beach.

Gabe

Leo
Newcomer

Potential G3 guests

#11 Post by Leo » Sun Feb 01, 2004 12:35 am

I was reading through some of what you Vai-heads wrote earlier, and couldn't resist commenting on a few things...

Steve Lukather? Please NO. I respect the guy for his accomplishments as a recording artist, but live... I've seen him a few times, and with each time he get progressively erratic, tasteless and worse. He looks like he'd just snorted a mount of coke ths size of Manhattan. He just plays EVERYTHING he knows how to play in 3 minutes, then repeats himself, then proceeds to break some strings, at which point his guitar goes out of tune and he sobers up. Sorry Steve.

Luke was so f$%^&ing cocky during the Yardbirds' HOB show last year, during which Steve (VAI) got totally fucked by the people who set up his (seemingly) simple rig: One Strat, one cable, one half stack. I mean, how does someone fuck up THAT! Poor Steve, he did try his best, but it must have been so nervewrecking to be up on that stage and have those embarrasing problems. Anyway... Just thought I'd let out my opinion on the whole Luke thing. Thanks, but no thanks.

RE: Steve's new drummer. Any guy to join Steve's band just HAS to be good. Jeremy is no Virgil nor Mike ( and he will never be), but that's besides the point. It's nice to see Steve give a young fella like Jeremy a chance to shine. I don't think that he'd last very long with VAI, but let's see what he was able to do on the new album. Speaking of which, does anyone have any inside info on it?

MArty Friedman? Now we're talking. Reb Beach? No thanks. Lynch is legit, but I don't think he could handle the Satch/Vai assault. Remember what happened to Eric Johnson? He got chewed up by those two monsters (Satch/Vai). EVH? Leave the guy alone, people. Though it'd be nice to see Eddie try and write an entire set of instrumentals, that will NEVER happen. Eddie's ego and his style would interfere. Morse? That guy's never going to have the time to do anything, other than the few hundred things that he's constantly involved.

Randy Rhoads would have definitely been a candidate, had he lived.

Paul Gilbert? Sure! Bring him on. He was awesome in his pink leather pants and the matching Explorer guitar. He'd joined them in L.A. few years back, for an encore. The guy had tone and taste. Way more interesting to listen to than Luke.

I must say that during the G3 in L.A. last year, Joe stole the show. I really dug his layed back persona. He was perfect in every respect, starting from the simple choice of clothes, and of course right down to his tasteful playing. Joe did not over or underplay. He was just perfect. Mr. Vai just topped himself at shredding. Just when you think he can't get any better than the previous time, Vai just tops himself. He's simply frightening. Steve, please, have mercy on our ears and brains. There's only so many notes a mortal can absorb.

Yngwie? The clothes never change. The average has been the standard for a few years now, when it comes to his backing band. And his playing has become less consistant and more improvised, compared to his flawless execution on his albums. How many of you cared for ATTACK? ME neither. YJM, thank you for those early Rising Force albums, even Oddyssey too, but there has not been anything worth my hard earned cash of late.

I say for the guest spot this year, Joe and Steve should have JEff Beck!

JEff's the BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GEt his latest album. Now, THAT is some interesting shiznit right there....

Peace.

"Don't forget to vote"- FZ

Leo

guitar_fan

#12 Post by guitar_fan » Sun Feb 01, 2004 1:58 pm

i don't know why the guy above hates lukather, but personaly i love his playing, he wrote great songs his style is cool, i like him

as for yngwie, well ya i do have to agree with leo at some point, i am a little disappointed about him. but he still got lots of die hard fans, esp in japan

i like eric johnson for g3, sure he was a bit chewed up cy steve and satch. but his playing was flawless with great tone, which made it great as he offered a complete different style, he was perfect

and the chance for seeing jeff beck for g3 would be......
there are quite a few serious criticism around about his new album by his old fans. even my dad, who is a beck fan for a long time didn't buy it after he gave it a try in the music store
correct me if i'm wrong though, no offense to jeff, i like him too
:mrgreen:

Nick Lee
Newcomer

#13 Post by Nick Lee » Sun Feb 08, 2004 9:02 pm

Um...Why not Prince?

GuitarMaster1962

#14 Post by GuitarMaster1962 » Mon Feb 09, 2004 2:54 pm

Another vote for Prince. The man can play, PERIOD!

ShawShred

#15 Post by ShawShred » Mon Feb 09, 2004 6:30 pm

Stevie Ray Vaughan would be cool....It's too bad :(