VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:53 am 

Anyone have a tip on the best web site to buy drum shell rebuild parts from? I just found a couple, but the layout of the sites were horrible. Hard to find anything.

I just bought my 10yr old son a 5 piece kit, but one of the toms needs to be rebuilt. I need lugs ( complete with screws, washers and gasket ), tension rods and washers and a couple new drum heads. I need Ludwig - small classic lug parts.

Drum heads can be easily found anywhere, but the other parts seem to be harder to find.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:32 pm 

honestly by the time you add everything up

(for example i spent $30 on one bass drum leg and spur)

you're better off buying a new kit-
sell what you have on craigslist and if you keep an eye out- you'll find better than what you have complete for the same price...

they're out there

drum stuff has a mark up too- i'd also recommend buying new...

I got on craigslist for $200 a 6pc Tama Imperialstar kit (899 new)
sold the extra crap that it came with for $200- got a free drum set

traded it in to guitar center and put $250 out of pocket 6 mo later and picked up like a $1400 tama set...

BUT you may be better off finding something else- those stupid small parts add up and get pricey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:31 am 

I hear ya on parts adding up.

Getting the exact lugs one needs can be tricky too as the lug style on this set has 3 different bolt hole spacings used over the years on different model drums. And the spacing I need is not listed in Ludwigs parts catalog or on parts web sites. Just the Lugs seem to run $10 a piece, etc.

I only need 3 lugs and 6 tension rods to fix up our 13" tom. ( heads are maintenance cost items anyway, got 2 of them coming from sweetwater for $24 shipped )

I ran across an ebay listing for a single smaller tom in the exact same model as our set. $20 buy it now. I grabbed it. Now I'll just transfer the lugs, rods, washers, etc. I'll take what I need and put it back on ebay.

You don't have any double bass pedals lying around that you don't need do ya? I've been eying the Tama Iron Cobra, but they hold their used value pretty well. I know, champagne taste on a beer budget..

Once my son crafts his skills on this kit I'll upgrade.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:47 pm 

Was just told the drum parts were delivered to fix our 13" tom. That will help the drum set by narrowing the gap between the 12" tom and the 16" floor tom.

I also just found a Line 6 Spider IV 120W 2x10 amp on craigslist for $100. That should keep up with the sound of the drum set. Not the greatest, but for the price... Only wish it had an FX Loop.

Moving my 1/2 stack, pedals and JCM900 from room to room sux. I can just leave that little amp by the drums so who ever wants to practice can just plug in and go.