VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:36 pm 
Newcomer

Hey all--

I've noticed that there is a seven note motif that has appeared in many of Steve's recordings. Here are four examples:

"Little Green Men" @ 5:32 (vocals and percussion in unison)

"Junkie" @ 4:42

"Answers" @ 1:59

And it's the opening lick to the song "Wire and Wood" from Alcatrazz's "Disturbing the Peace".

When "Passion and Warfare" came out, I remember Steve stating in several interviews that many of the tracks were based on a series of extremely vivid dreams he had as a teenager--dreams that almost verged on religious visions (or alien abductions, depending on your POV, I guess). I was just wondering if anybody here has ever read any statements from Steve about what was the genesis of this particular musical phrase, and what (if anything) it means to him in terms of his metaphysical ideas.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:36 pm 

damn

listened to all the examples- good ear

I recognize it (from answers)

I've seen a few 'lemotifs' here and there in his melody/guitar playing
i just always looked at it as part of the notes in his head and what he wants to hear at the given moment

good call

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:28 pm 

It's my most favourite riff of Steve's ( if you're referring to the 7/8 motif). I asked Steve about it, and 'Answers' (which he played at every gig Id attended up until that point after which is disappeared for the set list) during an EVO once and he said it was just a very melodic riff that seems to push the music along. No metaphysics although by the way he began to levitate when speaking about it, I could tell it was actually a series of notes that was capable of opening up a singularity and allowing ones spiritual energy to commune with the Midway Creatures and link the mind directly to the universal truth without having to pay, like, 20 bucks for one of those online enlightenment courses. I've done that course 3 times and I still don't feel any different, man.I should ask for a refund....

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:11 am 

Big Bad Bill wrote:
'Answers' (which he played at every gig Id attended up until that point after which is disappeared for the set list)

He stopped playing Answers after you got me to ask him why he played it at every gig.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:03 am 

boswell wrote:
Big Bad Bill wrote:
'Answers' (which he played at every gig Id attended up until that point after which is disappeared for the set list)

He stopped playing Answers after you got me to ask him why he played it at every gig.
Yeah, I should've kept my big mouth shut. I'm sure you must asked rudely or aggressively or whilst wearing your mankini!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:38 am 

Big Bad Bill wrote:

Yeah, I should've kept my big mouth shut. I'm sure you must asked rudely or aggressively or whilst wearing your mankini!

He seemed to like aggresion and the mankini . . . . . maybe he just felt dirty and used the next morning!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:25 am 

You two are just WRONG :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: