VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Ronnis James Dio
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 5:15 pm 
Banned

I have been listening to black sabbath alot lately with Dio singing ,..his voice is wicked ,..he must have one of the best if not the best rock voice I have ever heard ,..the power and tone is second to none and it grabs me by the heart and gives me a feeling like nothing else ,.
I love ozzy ,..do any of you people that haunt this site know of any other rock singers with that kind of power and tone ,..
I would love to hear of any as I am looking for new stuff to add to my collection ,.
I was reading that Dio has had no voice training ,,.but he used to play trumpet from an early age and other wind instruments ,.he beleived it was from all the breathing from the wind instruments that helped develop his voice ,..
some of his first recordings ,. he was on trumpet,..
I still think Sabbath were fools ever sacking Ozzy as sharons dad [sabbaths manager]sacked sabbath and keeped ozzy.
to me ozzy is sabbath and sabbath became the ronnie dio band so good came of it 8)

Post subject: Re: Ronnis James Dio
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 3:53 am 

There's allot of great singers that were out there before metal went "GLAM''.... One band I thought had a very powerful and talented singer was
Queensryche... Singers name is Jeff Tate.... Best album I feel they put out is Operation Mind crime.... Ck it out. Over all the band it self is very talented, very complicated and structured musican's...

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 9:23 am 

PGHD92 wrote:
There's allot of great singers that were out there before metal went "GLAM''.... One band I thought had a very powerful and talented singer was
Queensryche... Singers name is Jeff Tate.... Best album I feel they put out is Operation Mind crime.... Ck it out. Over all the band it self is very talented, very complicated and structured musican's...

Unfortunately, whenever I think of Queensryche - i think of their current musicians who are just kind of blah (there is a vid on youtube of dream theater playing with queensryche and John Petrucci really makes their current guitarists look amateur). I do not follow the band closely but from what I've heard - Geoff Tates voice is not what it used to be.

One of my favorite singers of all time is Rob Halford of Judas Priest. Both his solo stuff and the judas priest stuff are well worth checkking out. Another singer I like is Matt Barlow of the band Iced Earth - although a lot of their music can be corny IMO.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 1:48 pm 

As I said I am refering to the original QR band and Opeation Mind Crime.... I am sure as geoff has aged he has lost some vocal talent as would most of us ..... Yngwie Malmsteem has even said G Tate is one of the best voices in music during the 80's ..... As we age we loose talent, at least most of us there are a few with a gift who can hold there own still today..... examplle Ian Gillian, from Deep Purple...
Great voice along with Joe Lynn Turner from Rainbow....

The present QR is not even close to oringinal ............

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 2:00 pm 

As far as judas priest, There has allways been the ? who is better ,,,, i would definately go Iron Madien !!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 8:21 am 

agreed.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 9:08 pm 
Banned

cool :guitar i will check that album out thanks,.. 8)

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 3:19 pm 
Banned

Gregocide wrote:
PGHD92 wrote:

Unfortunately, whenever I think of Queensryche - i think of their current musicians who are just kind of blah (there is a vid on youtube of dream theater playing with queensryche and John Petrucci really makes their current guitarists look amateur). I do not follow the band closely but from what I've heard - Geoff Tates voice is not what it used to be.

One of my favorite singers of all time is Rob Halford of Judas Priest. Both his solo stuff and the judas priest stuff are well worth checkking out. Another singer I like is Matt Barlow of the band Iced Earth - although a lot of their music can be corny IMO.

Yes well john petrucci makes most good players look like amateurs ,..he is fantastic isnt he,...I was at a g3 in brisbane last time they were here with petrucci ,..petrucci played the first set,..and it was awesome,..glascow kiss i just love ,..then vai came on stage for his set,.started with tender surrender then another one followed by lov of god vais set was fucking AWESOME,.his moves and expressions and his playing ,..fuck man magic was happening ,..my mate that i was working with at the time also was there and his words the next day were,..vai really wiped the floor with those other two last night didnt he,..I had to agree,.. :guitar