VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: The Picking Hand
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:40 pm 
Banned

I have read posts about the picking hand apparently Zak Wylde has a sloppy picking hand ,...not me just what I have read here,... I like sweep picking ,.. not so fussed on alternate picking ,...john petrucci great player great picking hand,.. yet when he is doing his alternate picking very fast you cant fault it but its too much I feel,.. of course there are other players that do this very well too,. personally I dont like the sound of the pick nashing away at the strings on every note you play.

Michael angelo has a nice legato and you cant seem to hear the pick nashing away at the strings which to my ear creates a smoother sound ,...vai is another that has a nice smooth legato with no nashing pick sound

still I guess each to there own

Post subject: Re: The Picking Hand
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:47 pm 

aaronm wrote:
I have read posts about the picking hand apparently Zak Wylde has a sloppy picking hand ,...not me just what I have read here,... I like sweep picking ,.. not so fussed on alternate picking ,...john petrucci great player great picking hand,.. yet when he is doing his alternate picking very fast you cant fault it but its too much I feel,.. of course there are other players that do this very well too,. personally I dont like the sound of the pick nashing away at the strings on every note you play.

Michael angelo has a nice legato and you cant seem to hear the pick nashing away at the strings which to my ear creates a smoother sound ,...vai is another that has a nice smooth legato with no nashing pick sound

still I guess each to there own

a lot of times, that picking noise is usually the angle of the pick, string gauge, pickups, and what position the pickup selector is on. I am really not a fan of legato. When I do it it feels real conventional.

Post subject: Re: The Picking Hand
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:47 pm 
Banned

I love legato ,...you know Legato really means[ nice smooth flow]

ie,..Vai has a nice Legato,... :guitar

or to go a little further the musical notes tied together with a nice smooth flow.,.. a good legato