VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Hey! Need your opinion!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:38 am 

I recently auditioned for my schools talent show! I was in it last year and played Brand New Start by Alter Bridge. This is year I wanted to do something heavy! So I picked Bad Horsie, and I knew the song well enough to play it through and only make a few mistakes. I auditioned and went and checked the list of who made the show, and I wasn't on the list.
I was frustrated beyond belief. So I need y'all to give me talks opinion on this performance of Bad Horsie. Was it good enough to make a High School talent show?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SluFbyMqTgk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:49 am 

ok well here's some of my thoughts...

I'm listening to you play-
And here's some thoughts in general and in the situation---

**SPOILER ALERT** I AM AN ASSHOLE

>high school talent shows don't like 'heavy' you would have been better off with tender surrender

>when you're whammybar diving make sure its in pitch and consistent and sounding like its supposed to- not randomly and for fun (i know the song but most don't)- make it musical

>I have found- esp lately- most people just hate electric guitar in these situations- i've played the national anthem on elec guitar the last 2 spring training seasons at games ranging from 3000-12000 people- and no matter what some people will just hate guitar no matter what you do

> i know this song- most people don't- so you have to remember and understand to 99% of people you're playing 1-random notes and 2- something you could never play again the same (even though you're playing the right notes and could play it the same every time- they don't know that)

>7 min is LONG- in fact 3-4 min is long to people--- so if i had to say one thing screwed you on the talent show- it was the song length even if you didn't audition the whole thing

>maybe bad song song choice- it kind of stays the same, doesn't really evolve- there's other Vai songs i think could have worked better>>also you got to understand in music (or in professional speaking- i have a degree in speech communication) something might be really meaningful/profound to you- you may have loved the song decades/you maybe spent 1 yr learning it--- (in presentations you may be doing a topic you love and spent months researching) but the fact is 1- most people won't get it 2- most people won't feel the wa about the song as you do and 3- no matter how profound/meaningful it is to YOU doesn't mean they will get there- esp after hearing it once>>>so keep this in mind when choosing what to play

> in public NOT HEAVY is better than HEAVY-- i play alternative rock in bands i've been in- and to some people/some people in my family my light/grunge/alt rock music is death metal/heavy metal- they don't know better- most people don't like heavy- and if you're playing to ozzfest its one thing, and school talent show is another.

> you need some compressor in your chain to tame your wah

>when you hit harmonics really really really high and whammy bar shake it- guitar players like it- Vai fans love it.... most people= painful noise--- it's not you its just my understanding of public reaction to guitar because i've seen it all before... knowing what people find boring/painful is the most important part of guitar- and many guitarists even famous ones haven't developed it yet

>with all due respect to you and Vai in this song- after 3 min you've heard it all- you could have ended it at 3;30 and maybe played more crazy/shred stuff earlier

>the section 3:48- 4:04 didn't really come off good- you could have made it better/made it your own- or do something other than what you did... maybe edit out the Vai guitar there and do your ownt hing- get rid of it maybe- people have short attention spans- you could have lost half your audience in those 10-15 seconds

> most people can't tell good tapping from bad tapping- so use tapping sparingly (not saying you did it bad- it just annoys most people)

>KNOW YOUR AUDIENCE- suit to who your audience is- i think you forgot who your audience was in the audition- it's high school people and their parents- not guitar fans- mostly people stuck watching their daughter dance or something- not people lined up to a Vai show trying to get a glimpse of his pedalboard- BUT there is hope and Vai songs that could have appealed or been a better choice (tender/FTLOG even maybe shorter though/ Liberty/cryingmachine-etc)

>i liked the flanger section- the best part IMO but to most people it was 'that sounds the same but weird/different' know your audience

>I didn't get a Mesa Boogie amp til i was 23/24 so you're doing much better than me at your age.

two last points...
>work on your bends/phrasing/and whammy bar use- hitting them dead on in tune and being a little off are the difference between guys like Vai and 'everyone else'- the little things seperate youtube players from Vai- and guys like Vai spent tons of time perfecting such small things what only they'd notice or ever know.

Most of what I'm saying i've learned from being the VERY LOUD VERY TREBLY at times painful to listen to lead guitar player-
I've learned what people like/don't like- hate/love and what they'll notice and appriciate and what will go right over their head.

I've also seen still to this day 40+ years after hendrix did the national anthem how it can still piss people off- and some people will just hate the guitar no matter what you do with it and just bitch and complain about it.

in your defense- anyone auditioning with how/what you played would have got the same result- so don't take it personal

just have your audience in mind and look at things objectively- because i get it- you get it>>>but they don't get it

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:58 am 

You could keep it simple and melodic ..... I played this at my 1st talent show and won with it .... Rick Emmett's '' baby boy blues'' from Triumph... Here's a version from another player
Try and find original version from Rick has more feeling to it... If it has to be a Vai song go with " For the Love of God" Much Harder . but if you can play it go for it.... Good Luck !!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf8PjY-3Slk

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:26 am 

Appreciate the advise. But yeah I do 3:48-4:04 different everytime. That particular take I just decided to kind of just let it go. And I see your point about the audience, but I don't wanna play tender surrender because it seems like its been done all the time. It was originally gonna be the crying machine. Figured i would surprise people with a heavy track instead of a soothing kind of song. Plus Its a talent show, so they should have judged on talent, not what they thought of the song. IMO.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:53 pm 

LightWithoutHeat777 wrote:
I don't wanna play tender surrender because it seems like its been done all the time.

THINK OF YOUR AUDIENCE
HOW MANY OF THEM HAVE EVER HEARD TENDER SURRENDER?

Probably none of them

and harsh criticism now- if you do that section different each time- why would you put what you did on youtube for that section- anything would have been better than just standing there and hitting a power chord once or twice in 15 seconds of music while the backing track does shreddy things.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:08 pm 
Banned

Ok light with out heat heres my opinion ,...mate I wouldnt be too bumed about the school talent show your young you have talent this is obvious you play hot guitar and you have many many years in front of you ,...DUDE KEEP DOING WHAT YOU ARE DOING and Im shure you will be playing in front of people many times in the future .

PS,.. as the years go on music is like a fine wine it just matures....{it gets better and better with age }

wish I was as good as you are when I was your age.

rock on.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:02 pm 

@Jeries I kinda wanted to do something like the album version for the YouTube video. During my audition I did something else.

@aaronm Thank you very much! I appreciate the compliments! :guitar a

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:47 pm 

Amazing job! I especially like the tapping. Very well executed... but...

There are just a few concerns:
sometimes, even though it I actually love crazy noises, like windmilling and fluttering, and I actually enjoy the high pitched wailing and do it my self for show offy purposes ;) , I have learned that non guitarists and regular go with the flow pop and rap fans that permeate most of adolescents and unfortunatley high schoolers absolutely despise that noise... I know, that was a run on sentance. This for those fans of pop and rap out there too heavy, it is loud, the song itself is somewhat obmoxious lol :) with the horse noises and stuff, and it is too long for a school show I think.

Yes, the wah needs to be either put on a lower setting or compressed or changed, because that specific wah does not satisfy your tone.

I really wish younger people would quit thinking too old with their music. Are these pop and rap guys setting food examples? Who really cares if your strollin' down the street, smoking weed and tooling with girls. Why do we care about your lonely nights alone? Add some beer, drugs, and some salt and rap a little and you have most young people thinking like gangsters. Not all of them, but a majority. But the virtuosos. Steve dosent have scandals, or Joe, or yngwie, or any other virtuoso that I can think of. I wish more young people would set better influences as role models. Until then, well, we just have to deal with it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:48 pm 

@kyle am I, I think my Morley Mark Tremonti Wah was on a high boost. & Thanks for the compliments! Much appreciated!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:57 pm 

Kyle made some good points most def....... The questionn is do want to be in the takent show and win, or stick to your heart and axe and play what you need to to play from inside your self ????? What I am saying a good guitar must be verseitile .... Meaning able to change style of playing from metal,jazz, blues, fusion....., but you need to love the music your playing or it will just not sound right,feeling the music as well as therery and tech, are just as important,,,,, example JIMMY HENDERIX..... Never took a lesson ever, but became one of the biggest influnce in Heavy guitar ever, scared Clapton and Pete Townsen.......

follow your heart and love for what you play,,,, if you really want to win a talent show,,,,,, pick a pop song 90% of the kids know and do as a insturmental,,,,,, make sure they reconize the song though.... you will win trust me ......

Like I said I did Little Boy Blues from RicK Emmett from band Triumph back in the Rush days... (1985) Did I do it note for note????,,,, No .improvised, made it my own and everyone went nuts...... You need to decide what is more imporant winning or playing what you love... Rember, a good player can switch to any style at any time for his love of playing and pleasing the audience...... Allways your choice dude...... follow your heart, but take advice from people on this site,,, because they actually care.............. FYI STEVE VAI PLAYED WITH AL DIMEOLA, A JAZZ / FUSION GUITAR PLAYER AS GUEST ON ONE OF HIS MANY ALBUMS.... Don't forget zappa either,,, Steve played with his band and they are not metal,,,,,, Zappa had a sound al his own.......

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:57 pm 

Kyle made some good points most def....... The questionn is do want to be in the takent show and win, or stick to your heart and axe and play what you need to to play from inside your self ????? What I am saying a good guitar must be verseitile .... Meaning able to change style of playing from metal,jazz, blues, fusion....., but you need to love the music your playing or it will just not sound right,feeling the music as well as therery and tech, are just as important,,,,, example JIMMY HENDERIX..... Never took a lesson ever, but became one of the biggest influnce in Heavy guitar ever, scared Clapton and Pete Townsen.......

follow your heart and love for what you play,,,, if you really want to win a talent show,,,,,, pick a pop song 90% of the kids know and do as a insturmental,,,,,, make sure they reconize the song though.... you will win trust me ......

Like I said I did Little Boy Blues from RicK Emmett from band Triumph back in the Rush days... (1985) Did I do it note for note????,,,, No .improvised, made it my own and everyone went nuts...... You need to decide what is more imporant winning or playing what you love... Rember, a good player can switch to any style at any time for his love of playing and pleasing the audience...... Allways your choice dude...... follow your heart, but take advice from people on this site,,, because they actually care.............. FYI STEVE VAI PLAYED WITH AL DIMEOLA, A JAZZ / FUSION GUITAR PLAYER AS GUEST ON ONE OF HIS MANY ALBUMS.... Don't forget zappa either,,, Steve played with his band and they are not metal,,,,,, Zappa had a sound al his own.......

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:56 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdRZFHAlwbs

says it all man!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:52 pm 

Here's a hometown man from my state of Jackson ,NJ .... You will know him, hint ,,,,,, Blacl Label Society...... Watch his pick tech....... Just trying to get you mix it up a bit and make your own sound and styke

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S018IwrFd_4

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:06 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=FAB ... =endscreen

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:53 pm 

PGHD92 wrote:
Here's a hometown man from my state of Jackson ,NJ .... You will know him, hint ,,,,,, Blacl Label Society...... Watch his pick tech....... Just trying to get you mix it up a bit and make your own sound and styke

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S018IwrFd_4

I'd say Zakk has a horrible right hand/picking technique- I wouldn't even teach anyone to develop that kind of technique--

great guy- great guitar player- but his picking technique/right hand is one of the worst of anyone out there...

his wrist gets in the way and he has no dexteriety he just uses his arms to move his wrist up and down and doesn't use his wrist or fingers when he plays-