VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:28 am 

Hi there,
My name Mika Tyyskä and I'm the guitarist/producer behind Mr. Fastfinger (http://www.mrfastfinger.net). Not sure if you've heard of him but if you check his websites you get the best idea of this carton character guitarist.
My journey with Mr. Fastfinger started as a school project. This project Guitar Shred Show (http://www.guitarshredshow.com) got so popular and big that things started happeining. Even got nice exposure here on Vai.com. It's a loooong story but finally 2009 Mr. Fastfinger's debut CD "The Way of the Exploding Guitar" come out. It has been quite a nice success and has been a life long dream come true. I was very fortunate to get people like Jordan Rudess (Dream Theater) and Mattias Eklundh (Freak Kitchen) and Chritsophe Godin (Mörglbl) to do guest performances on the album. Fans of instrumental hard rock really seem to dig the album.

But now I'm hungry again :) We're working on the second album. Some of the material is already composed and even recorded. But there's still music to be composed and lot of work before everything is done and ready to be released. The reason why I'm writing is I'm really in search of creating as perfect guitar instrumental album as I possibly can. I'm very ambitious in all aspects of this project, the overall production, compositions, playing, artwork...

I know there are many hardcore fans of instrumental music here. I would love to hear any thoughts from you on what makes a good album? What do you think makes one album stand out of the rest? What's your top (guitar) instrumental albums and why?
Do you buy CD's from new more unknown guitarist. What makes you interested in the music? YouTube clips or what.

Hope you can help me here. Thanks!

on behalf of Mr. Fastfinger,
Mika Tyyskä

Last edited by tyky on Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:22 am 

Dynamics and musicality:
If there's no decent melody, and everything trots along at the same "pace" with no dynamic variance, it's pretty much poo in my book.

Inventiveness:
Do the unexpected. One thing I love about Vai are all the little nuances and oddities. Noises and squeaks that "shouldn't" be there, but would be sorely missed if removed.

Passion:
Play everything like it's your last note, and your life depends on it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:43 am 

Excellent.
Rai, I totally love how you put it "Play everything like it's your last note, and your life depends on it"!

There needs to be something new and surprising, with each song on the album and within each song. If you hear the first song and you can guess what happens during the rest of the album. Well it can't be very interesting. Each song is there to be different and support the whole. Making sure to use different keys and tempos, rhythms, scales, modes, sounds...
Perhaps this sounds technical, but there are albums with pretty much each song going in the key of E minor. And sometimes even the tempos all pretty much the same.
Vai has definelty been able to keep his music surprising. I guess that was why I originally found his music so inspiring. With instrumental music with no lyrics, you need to play more creative game I think. Without the lyrics you need to tell the story with all the possible sounds you get from the instrument. Or simply express emotions. Abstract story is fine too.

Melody and expression is definetly more valuable in my book than super fast licks and endless list of notes. (despite the name of Mr. Fastfinger)

Thanks Rai. Would love to hear more thoughts! This awakens my thoughts for sure.

Mika

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:50 am 

Ultimately, I have moved away from instrumentalists, as they (at least most) have long forgotten what it's all about.
It's not about modes, odd time signatures, or how many notes you can cram into that poor song.
It's about evoking emotions.
It's about breathing.
And it's about getting that listeners foot tapping!
It needs to rock so hard that your gut hurts, or pull at your heart strings until the fingers turn blue.

While one can play fast and furious, there also needs to be space.
Yin & Yang.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:57 am 

Unlike RAI(who might be an excellent musician) I do not feel in a higher superior position to feel qualified to give you any advice.

to have a world-class musician and guitarist with such creativity being humble enough to post here in the first place, and then ask for ...advice speaks tons for yourself.

To be able to create a complete character and universe out of thin air, making it funny as hell and with incredible guitar chops to back it up is to me an incredible achievement.

You mentioned somewhere that you got kudos from Vai, Pettrucci and other greats for it, well, I got so excited when I discovered Mr fastfinger that I gave the link to all my friends who kept raving about it for ages in turn. You'd be surprised to discover how many parties had your website running to have a blast!

But I'll eat my comment about RAI and will agree with him in saying that what makes it for me is a strong, original melody or lick. I have this personal theory that a guitar solo should be a "story within a story"(classic indeed)
melody and rythm and music that can be heard by non-guitarists.

Thanks for posting here!

You rock!!

:headbang :headbang :headbang

:guitar :guitar :guitar

:peace

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:50 pm 

"Unlike RAI(who might be an excellent musician) I do not feel in a higher superior position to feel qualified to give you any advice."

I don't really feel that I'm giving any advice, just pointing out what I would be looking for in an instrumental artist, nor do I feel like I'm "superior" to anyone.
And I totally suck as a musician.
:D

Back in the day, I went to GIT, and I walked away with realizing that most guys out there don't get it.
One of the few instrumenalists that I still appreciate is Vai.
The rest put me to sleep within a few tracks.......
See reasons in my original posts.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:22 am 

Haha, thanks guys!
I believe all people can have something to give each other. I'm thankful for your comments.

Can relate to Rai's comments on being bored of instrumental guitar music. I took a pause on listening to guitar instrumentals in 1998 or something. This pause lasted for many years. But then I heard Mattias Eklundh's Freak Guitar album which got me totally fired up and feeling there's still something there!
Even today the instrumental music I listen the most of time is not guitar music. But there are artists and albums I find every now and then that really get me excited!

When producing music, for me the number one mission is to share feelings and emotions. To do best to make the listener move!
People love stories. Instrumental music should be about telling stories and expressing emotions. I personally feel that there's enough of negative wibe music out there already. I'd rather want to ease the pain of the listener, give hope and bring the joy. Give them expoding postivie energy! Like RAI said it seems that guitar instrumentalist forget to actually ROCK!!! I promise to to remember that.

But back to creating actual albums. With the first Fastfinger album I spent a great deal on choosing right tracks for the album and working on the running order.
The change of pace, feelings and colors is important. How you want to start everything, what happenis in the middle and how to end it. Very happy how everything got down. But I don't want to create the same album again. It has to be different. That is why I'm asking for opinions or even advices from you. The drama of the whole album means even more to me than the drama of individual tracks. I see it like a movie. The overall film is what matters the most, not just the great scenes. I might be an old school guy in this sense I guess.

Maybe what I'm asking is kind of difficult. But so far the replys I've gotten are clearing idas. Or atleast telling I'm on the right track.

thank you,
Mika

Ps. Thanks lydian 2000. It's always glad to hear these GuitarShredShow stories :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:16 am 

Some direct advertising now but you can follow the making of the new Mr. Fastfinger album over here:
http://mrfastfinger.net/index.php/categ ... ionguitar/

and if you're interested about the debut album. You can listen to samples overhere:
http://mrfastfinger.net/index.php/mr-fastfinger/the-way-of-the-exploding-guitar/

Would still very much like to hear more thoughts from anybody about the original questions!

Kiitos!
Mika

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:53 am 

I have to say, I think your guitar shred show website is a fantastic tool for guys like me who, basically, suck at guitar but want to learn how to play some cool licks. Haven't got the album yet but I plan to download it from iTunes.

As far as what I look for in an instrumental album, I firstly go for melody. If I don't like the tune, I simply turn off. I don't like instrumental music where the band play 'background music' for six minutes while the guitarist shreds over the back of it. Not my cup of tea. Something different, something that keeps you interested. As long as there's some kind of melodic hook in there, I'm usually a fan.

Good luck with the album! :guitar

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:46 pm 

Hi Mika, or should I say Kon Ni chi Wa Mr. Fastfinger?

I think it's really cool that you ask advice on recording your new cd. It shows you're not only interested in your own chops. Really cool attitude! And that we all know a new cd is coming doesn't hurt either I guess :wink:

I don't feel I'm in a position to give you any advice, but I can tell you what I would like from an instrumental cd. I'll put it in a cool summary which should make it easy to read. PM me for cool pie charts, the forum doesn't allow them. 8)

1. Cohesive music. I mean I want to hear a band. Not a drummer, bassplayer and a guitarist gone rogue. We have youtube for that these days.
2. Harmony! Everybody meantions melody, but I think harmony is more important. You can play 1000 things on an E5, but it all sounds the same. Change the chord, and the same melody sounds different on all variations.
3. I don't like shredfests. You can play fast, you can play impossible parts, but in the end, one beatiful note is better than 20 ok ones. I do think shred is cool, but it should serve the song.

The best example of this I could give you is Pat Metheny. He's a technical monster, sometime even underrated (I saw him do a sweep on all six strings with 3 notes a string, this guy has sick chops), but everything he does is serving the song. This is a nice example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRNT-TRA ... re=related A stage full of virtuosos, but just a great song with great phrasing.

I don't tell you to be like Metheny by the way. He's just an example on good song writing vs too many notes. He gets it just right. I listened to the last Dream Theater cd for just 2 months, but I still listen to the first cd of Pat I bought 17 years ago.

I wish you good luck on writing and recording the new cd. You are the first musician I know who asks for advise from the people who are most likely going to listen to the cd. Do you have a donation system for the cd btw? It would be cool to sell notes on the cd, and put the sold notes in the booklet. Like, the whammy bar fluttered d at 1.27 is dedicated to Ocuj. I'd pay 40 bucks (including cd) for that. Just a marketing idea coming to mind, I have no idea if it's possible to do.

Oh, and it would be nice if you release the cd on your own name. Mr. Fastfinger is great, but because he's a cartoon character, the music has less depth for me. It's like The Flintstones will never reach the emotional lever as a Darren Aronofsky movie.

P.s. the mr. Fastfinger site kicks ass. It gave me some cool idea on licks. Whenever I'm stuck in a jam, a Mr. Fastfinger lick saves my day. Thank you for that!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:53 am 

Thank you guys!

Bryceybhoy: Would be interesting to hear your thoughts on the album once you have had the chance to digest it. Thanks in advance!
You'll find that the focus is on compositions and the solos are kept quite tight. For me the only guitarist who's endless guitar solos I can listen to is Frank Zappa :)

Ocuj: I also like the idea of band sound. The second album will be even more band tone direction. We worked on many new songs as a band when we were preparing for gigs and studio. And in studio in many songs drums, bass and some keyboard parts were recorded at the same time. This also allowed us to get rid of click in certain places, where we wanted to have more air with rhythm and tempo. Allowing other musicians to bring their soul and ideas to the songs can take the music to the next level. You can do amazing shit with software, virtual drummers etc. And guitar players can play bass parts then selfs for sure. But real musician delivering his everything to your song is another thing.

You mentioned the importance of harmony. I personally belive all three of the holy triangel are equally impotant. The rhythm, the harmony and the melody. But there are songs that can be more driven by rhythm or harmony, insted of melody. Rhythm makes your body move, melody makes you want to sing along and harmony can uplift everything to something higher.

I've got Pat Methenys' Upojenie album. It's so, so very beautiful. Otherwise do not know much of his work.

The comparison of Mr. Fastfinger and Flintstones is tough. This is what I'm afraid many people will think. It's so easy to only see a 2D cartooncharacter. But to me this imaginery guitarist is far beyond 3D. May sound totally crazy but this cartoon character has taught me so much over the 5 years. I've become so much better person and guitar player after I created him. Mr. Fastfinger in certain way is also my goal. I give him features that I'd like to obtain. He's always calm and zen, wise and plays perfect. Well, I'm not quite yet there. Fastfinger is also my endless source of inspiration. You should know when you're listening Mr. fastfinger's music, everything still came directly from my heart. And the stories that are being told, are universal. Hope this didn't sound too weird :)
At this point I feel I'm still goig with Mr. Fastfinger. World is filled with human guitar heroes, there could be more room for animated guitarists!

Mika

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:56 am 

Oh Yeah Ocuj,
Your Donation system idea was actually interesting. Shouldn't be impossible to make happen. Why not try it :)
For that 40 $ I can send you (Mr. Fastfinger signed) "The Exploding Guitar" CD immidiately, you'll get that Whammy Bar flutter (or if you want something else let me know!) dedicated to you. This will be mentioned on the booklet and also website. I will also send you the new CD among the first ones, once it's ready. This will be around october or september this year.
Just send me an e-mail with your post address to
mika (a) guitarshredshow.com
I'll reply you with instructions how to pay etc. Thank you!

If there's anybody else there interested. Please get in touch aswell :)
You will be supporting my work, and it's greatly appreciated!

Enjoy the day,
Mika

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:15 am 

I would immediately pay the same (if you can set up some system involving paypal) if you autograph one of your crazy divebombs with scraps!!

About the tough comparison with the Flintstones that is I am afraid the risk(harsh definitive statements) you take when posting on a public forum like this one with direct feedback. The work and the universe you have created with Mr fastfinger is to me far beyond the category of a simple cartoon like the flintstones. This website clearly doesn't get the professional and public fame and recognition it deserves. It oozes sheer talent and dedicated hard work in every pixel. What I love with Mr fastfinger is that not only the background music (what a treat to improvise to by the way)is excellent, but what mr fastfinger plays and pledges is truly sound advice(on top of jaw-breaking, completely TABBED FOR FREE licks.

You have created a whole universe, with a complete set of different atmospheres...heck I could go on and on...

Most guitar instructional DVDs (including the best ones like Paul Gilbert's) don't have a tenth of the total material and fun you can have while playing the games or actually learning the riffs on the site.

But all that would be rather dull without a true musician with a true voice that you clearly have!

I will insist in quoting RAI again but I couldn't agree more with him...breathing, innovative, ROCKING!! that's what you should go for.

And it's all for free.......It still amazes me that someone would take all of that for granted, but that's the risk with free stuff!!

http://www.guitarshredshow.com/main.html

I will mail you a.s.a.p

:peace

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:04 am 

Thank you Lydian2000,
That pickslide FX will be dedicated to you! "Exploding" -CD will be send tomorrow morning. You'll get the new CD once it's ready, around October.
Thanks for the support and trust!

Will continue working on the album. All ideas and thoghts are still welcome. All support is appreciated!
Thanks again also for Ocuj for all the great ideas.

enjoy the day,
Mika

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:31 pm 

Wow I only just came across this post - it's certainly a very refreshing and insightful read, so many thanks and a big "I'm not worthy" to Mika.

That is frickin' awesome news that there will soon be a new Mr. Fastfinger album. 'The Way of the Exploding Guitar' is probably my favourite album I've listened to from the past year, so I'm very excited to hear what the follow-up sounds like (especially given this particular input process).

One thing I particularly like about 'The Way of the Exploding Guitar' is the great way of blending fast, crazy stuff (e.g. on tracks like 'Zing Zing' and 'Wax On - Wax Off') and more tasteful, slower tracks (like 'Creatures of the Midnight', which I think is my favourite). There's a wrong way to do this, where it feels like on some instrumental albums the artist has just shoehorned a token slow track in for the sake of it, but that's definitely not the case on this album, where 1 song complements the next, pretty much all the way through. So, I hope the same thing gets done on the new album.

I wouldn't compare the Mr. Fastfinger character to the Flinstones - maybe there's a similarity with Gorillaz (as they're a cartoon band), but guitar-playing characters / alter egos are fine in my book.

Oh and this idea of dedications is pretty cool - I hope it doesn't start getting out of hand! (if there does happen to be a spare funky wah-wah'd "chucka-chucka" part then I am definitely interested!)