VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:18 am 
VIP
VIP

Hi, everybody!

It's been awhile. :)

Just wanted to let you know that my new album The Lionheart is finally available and is shipping worldwide! It was mostly recorded at Steve Vai's Mothership Studios and was mixed and mastered by Neil Citron. It features a lot of awesome musicians including Mike Keneally (who I'm sure needs no introduction here), Grammy-nominated saxophone player Frank Macchia, singer/songwriter Kat Parsons, and boasts artwork from Eisner-award winning comic book artist Mark Buckingham (Fables).

You can order directly through me at this page for $10 domestic $15 international including shipping:

http://www.chrisopperman.net/lionheart.html

Or you can also listen to samples and order it here from CDBaby:

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/chrisopperman

Annnnnnd that's that! I hope you're all having an excellent day!

Warm regards,
Chris Opperman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:25 am 

Ordered! Great previews. Hope the cd is just the same. Review follows when I get the cd.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:00 am 

I got the cd today. It's really really great. Less classical then I suspected. I highly recommend this cd to anyone who loves Sound Theories and Passion and Warfare. It also reminds me sometimes of the Miles Davis and Gil Evans Sessions (Porgy & Bess, Sketches of Spain etc). And of Frank Zappa offcourse. And when I say, it does remind me, I don't mean it sounds alike. Not at all, this stuff is quite original. Oh, and did I mentioned the cd got signed? Well it did. I ordered through Chris' own website. I'll write a full review in a couple of days when this musical rollercoaster sank into my brain.

The cd of the year for me, after a couple of spins. I bow for you, mr. Oppy!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:35 pm 

So, the review. I promised to write a review, but find it hard to do. It's hard to judge te music on this cd, and it's hard for me because I believe that every cd has it's downsides, and for me it's really hard to find any bad things on this cd. But anyway, here we go. Please bare with me, the review is quite extensive, since the music turned out to be really special to me.

You can continue reading when:
- you know Chris Opperman already and love his music
- you love Sound Theories
- You love Passion and Warfare and cannot get enough of the Fire Garden Suite
- you are not afraid of something different;
- you love Frank Zappa
- you love the Miles Davis & Gil Evans sessions
- You like the Pat Metheny Group (trio, solo, or anything else)
- you like to discover other music than typical rock

You can stop reading when:
- Alien Love Secrets is too weird for you
- 3 minutes guitar solos are too short
- A piano in a band is too experimantal for you.

I didn't know Chris Opperman really good. I knew his name, I knew he was involved in Sound Theories and The Universe Will Provide (Mike Keneally), but besides that, I had no clue. I even confused him with Tom Trapp (thank you Chris for being no insulted!). But the previews of this cd ewoke something in me. It remembered me of all the classical music my dad made me listen as a kid, like Stravinsky, Ravel and Weber, but also the Jazz he made me listen to like Thelonious Monk and Miles Davis. So I wanted to give the music a chance and I ordered, and let the music just come over me.

I listened to the previews a lot in the days waiting for the cd. They got better and better. When I finally got the cd, I was blown away. The music is so good. I can't say anything bad about the compositions. The cd is mixed by Neil Citron, who also mixes a lot for Steve Vai. There are no flaws in the mixing in my perspective. There are some technical flaws in the recording, but it's not a deal breaker. The only thing I could find was background noise when the piano plays solo. Chris told me they decided to keep it this way because the recording sounded far more intimate this way. I agree with him on this, and the noise is not that disturbing.

The music itself is really hard to judge. I don't even want to judge it song by song. You really have to hear it for yourself. There are some words what come to mind when I listen to this recording. Composer wise: bold, experimental, virtuoso, breaking boundaries while paying homage to the past. Just as a listener: touching, moving, excited, beautiful.

The only thing I can add is that I really want to see this music performed life. I'm going to beg Co de Kloet (yes, I'm from Holland) for a Chris Opperman Festival in october.

I really have nothing to add more. I'll let the music speak for itself.

Oh, and Chis, if you read this, as a musician to a musician f!@# you! for you writing it instead of me.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:48 am 
Newcomer

This album is quite simply awesome. I bought it after ocuj made a post about it on the John Petrucci forum (I post as BachsLittleHelper there), and it was definitely worth every penny. The compositions are all beautifully crafted, from solo piano pieces to full blown rock ensemble and orchestra (including a 15 minute piece called the Porpentine, which I've been listening to a *LOT* since buying the album). Anyone who's into Zappa, Vai, modern classical and good composition should *definitely* buy this CD, you won't regret it!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:32 am 
VIP
VIP

:headbang

Thanks a ton!!! I'm so happy you guys are enjoying the album! :D

Chris

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:19 pm 
Newcomer

You are very welcome, sir, your music is truly inspiring!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:49 am 
Newcomer

Ocuj & MasoTMN,

I'm with you on this - what a wonderful album.

I can't put it any better than you have in your posts (well ... I said something about "warm, tingly soundwaves that caress your ears" in my Amazon review ...).

Loving it all, and of course Keneally's :guitar :guitar moment!