GUITARISTS THAT ANNOY ME

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
DannyBoyVai

yngwie does playwith feeling . and he can play guitar . but hes in his own little yngwie world and he ain't ever gonna come out . he ain't that great anymore . he's had his day . his day is long since over . he will keep making music .. for the fans and to pass the time . i would much rather he just made some more conerto stuff . and chilled out on the non stop harmonic minor . and stop going so fast . there is much more to it than what he does . hes been essentially showing off for 30 years .. its time for him to grow up as a person . as a guitarist . and as a musician :) . but i actually do quite like some of his songs and instrumentals .. but him as a person .. i find him a bit hard to take seriously ...
FINGERS76

I met him a couple years ago. Very nice guy. Signed an autograph, and was very accomidating, even though he was in a hurry.
PaulEMoz

DannyBoyVai wrote:yngwie does playwith feeling . and he can play guitar . but hes in his own little yngwie world and he ain't ever gonna come out . he ain't that great anymore . he's had his day . his day is long since over . he will keep making music .. for the fans and to pass the time . i would much rather he just made some more conerto stuff . and chilled out on the non stop harmonic minor . and stop going so fast . there is much more to it than what he does . hes been essentially showing off for 30 years .. its time for him to grow up as a person . as a guitarist . and as a musician :) . but i actually do quite like some of his songs and instrumentals .. but him as a person .. i find him a bit hard to take seriously ...
Hexham, eh? :D

Yngwie just does what he does, that's his style. All kinds of other bands/musicians have their own styles and don't deviate from it, and don't get complaints. In fact, if they changed their style, they'd get nothing BUT complaints! :)

Imagine if AC/DC changed their style. Or Judas Priest. Their fans would go berzerk. Yngwie's just doing what he wants to do, which is commendable in my opinion.

He is working on another Concerto type album, though. :D
The Prez

Ted Nugent, both musically and personally. Whenever I've seen him on tv he's a jerk. He hasn't really progressed musically at all. He plays pretty much the same type of licks. He's also a nut who needs medical attention.
Maybe if he'd start being a good person instead of a ass i'd respect him more.
Birdman

You're right. I have NEVER listened (I have heard him play, but just couldn't bring myself to actually buy anything and LISTEN to it)Yngwie, and for one reason. It's the same crap over and over again. The only feel if ANY, ONLY comes from the style of music he plays. Classical music and scales/modes etc, envolke "feel" in themselves. If you or anyone can show me something that Yngwie does, where he plays one note, bends it or whatever, that can get me to "feel" that "Oh yeah" feeling, that you get with the GREATS, you'll change my mind. But I won't hold my breath. Sorry.
brainpolice

"Yngwie just does what he does, that's his style. All kinds of other bands/musicians have their own styles and don't deviate from it, and don't get complaints. In fact, if they changed their style, they'd get nothing BUT complaints!"
It's not "his style". Is playing the exact same run, rushed to boot, in every single song, constitute one's "style"? That's not a matter of "style" it's a matter of monotony. And that is the major problem with the guy, is that ITS THE EXACT SAME THING for 20 years. There's no excuse. Sorry to break the news to you but most people's "styles" are more then 1 thing. Not just that, people have more then 1 "style". A good musician can set 100,000 different moods and invoke undescribable emotions. "Style" isn't confined to 1 singular thing. Does Steve Vai have the same mood for every song? No. Does he ever play the same lick in more then 1 song? No. He'll write you a soulful rock ballad, then write you an eccentric zappa-esc tune, then write you a string quartet in C minor. Listen to Miles Davis's "Kind of Blue" and then his "Bitches Brew" and tell me they both represent the same "style". Listen to Frank Zappa's "Catholic Girls" and then his "Moggio" and tell me that he's deviating from his own "style".
Then you look at someone like Yngwie and there's no diversity, no richness, no surprises. You know what to expect: Dadadaaa, Dadadaaa, Dadaaaa..(fully diminished arpeggio rundown)..weneneneneneneneneneeenenenenenenenenenenenneneneenenene (no pause)...wenenenenenenenenenenenenenenenene (no space)...neneneneneneneneneneneneneenen (no rythm).wenenenenenenene (diminished) I V I V I V I V I V I V I.
There's no excuse. The guy has been playing the same song for his whole career.
FINGERS76

Birdman wrote:You're right. I have NEVER listened (I have heard him play, but just couldn't bring myself to actually buy anything and LISTEN to it)Yngwie, and for one reason. It's the same crap over and over again. The only feel if ANY, ONLY comes from the style of music he plays. Classical music and scales/modes etc, envolke "feel" in themselves. If you or anyone can show me something that Yngwie does, where he plays one note, bends it or whatever, that can get me to "feel" that "Oh yeah" feeling, that you get with the GREATS, you'll change my mind. But I won't hold my breath. Sorry.
If you admit you never listned how can you offer an opinion? I made this mistake with Damage Plan. I thought it all sounds the same, when I never heard a full song, until I listned to the cd. I still don't like it but I don't think it all sounds the same anymore. :?
ElectricG

yngwie does not play with feeling... its just the same diminished arpeggios and scale runs over and over.. and some pretty rupsulsive facial expressions
Birdman

I don't have to eat shit to know it doesn't taste very nice. But I can still say with some certainty that it doesn't, No?

I've heard about 20 bits and pieces of his stuff, (Plus what I saw on G3) and it's ALL the f'kin same. Why the hell would I torture myself any more than that? Haha
PaulEMoz

ElectricG wrote:yngwie does not play with feeling
Wrong. Very, very wrong.
FINGERS76

ElectricG wrote:yngwie does not play with feeling... its just the same diminished arpeggios and scale runs over and over.. and some pretty rupsulsive facial expressions
Listen to "Like an Angel" to hear him play with feeling. Not all of his songs are harmonic minor runs. And check out live at the Astoria for some ugly facial expressions. :shock:

Birdman:

If you have never tasted crap you can't say that it tastes bad. You can presume it, and I wouldn't recommend trying it, but you can't make the same comparison with the arts. Everyone thinks crap tastes bad, yet few have tasted it, but many people like art that others do not. Apples and oranges. Don't be so dramatic. :wink:
brainpolice

malmcock: the "Feeling" of monotony
Birdman

I love it BP. Awesome. Hahaha.
PLease do NOT try and pass off what Malmsteen does as Art.
sindlei

listen to music and respect it for what it is, not what it isn't. just because the style that yngwie chooses to play conflicts with your narrow views of what music "should" sound like(and that's absolutely the dumbest thought), doesn't mean it's bad. i've heard nothing but childish complaints out of you birdman, about how yngwie plays the same thing over and over again, understand that what you may have been hearing could have been improv, and not all musicans can vary entirely from improv to improv. if you listened to any of his albums, you'd hear some beautiful compositions, and some rockin tunes. listen to "Brothers", that's an excellent song from his career.
Birdman

That's ALL I come out with, is childish comments. I've listened (tried) to some of his albums and what he did on G3. I can listen to whatever song you want me to, but it just sounds the bloody same as every other song, so why would I waste my time? I don't dislike him coz it conflicts with any idea you think I have about how music SHOULD be. I dislike him coz he doesn't play anything that I like. Simple. I have no "idea's" on what music should be like, music shouldn't BE like anything. But everyone likes one thing and dislikes another, if we didn't, we'd all be listening to Vai and that's all we'd be ABLE to listen to.

BTW, if we're talkin GOOD guitarists, then I class a good guitarist as someone that can play well doing there own stuff, or someone elses, or improvising. If he can't do that? Then I don't think he IS a good guitarist. I DO know that it would have take many many years and time and dedication to do what he does, but I just think it's crap.