VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:04 pm 
Offline
Member
Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:48 am
Posts: 79
Location: Wisconsin, USA
A couple of observations:

I like most of it. A few songs are a little :roll: , but that's pretty good.

the only negative comment I have is that I am not a big fan of Campitelli's drumming. He's an excellent time keeper, but....a little conservative. I'd rather hear something a little more aggressive or bombastic. It does feel at times that the rhythm section is kind of floating around on a few tracks. (but joe seems to like him, so, oh well.)

Overall, it's his best CD in recent years.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:26 am 
Offline
Member
Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 14, 2004 12:00 am
Posts: 622
Location: Padova, Italy
Wind in the Trees and Wormhole Wizards are so beautiful, probably my favorite ones.

I also like The Golden Room, Dream Song, God is Crying... it's a great record!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:24 am 
Offline
Member
Member

Joined: Sun May 13, 2007 2:44 am
Posts: 146
Location: The Netherlands!
Dream songs.

Very nice album. Know where to find the repeat button now tho....
Hope the tour will be just as good. :mrgreen:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:29 am 
Offline
Member
Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:43 am
Posts: 1508
Location: Brittany, France.
MikeB7070 wrote:
A couple of observations:

I like most of it. A few songs are a little :roll: , but that's pretty good.

the only negative comment I have is that I am not a big fan of Campitelli's drumming. He's an excellent time keeper, but....a little conservative. I'd rather hear something a little more aggressive or bombastic. It does feel at times that the rhythm section is kind of floating around on a few tracks. (but joe seems to like him, so, oh well.)

Overall, it's his best CD in recent years.


I think Campitelli's style is only limited to what Joe demands from him, and by accepting it I think he(Campitelli) found a nice, safe, warm job.

+2 on His best CD in years, even if the song structures and melodic content are not as varied(Bass lines do their job but nothing else) as I would have hoped, but some songs do make me "feel" things, but I find the whole album to be on a rather serious(if not sad) tone. Last time a satch album made me feel anything was almost ten years ago!

:peace


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:11 am 
Offline
Member
Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:48 am
Posts: 79
Location: Wisconsin, USA
lydian2000 wrote:

I think Campitelli's style is only limited to what Joe demands from him, and by accepting it I think he(Campitelli) found a nice, safe, warm job.

+2 on His best CD in years, even if the song structures and melodic content are not as varied(Bass lines do their job but nothing else) as I would have hoped, but some songs do make me "feel" things, but I find the whole album to be on a rather serious(if not sad) tone. Last time a satch album made me feel anything was almost ten years ago!

:peace


You might be right. Maybe he's playing exactly what Joe wants. Rolling Stone listed him at #50 of the all time greatest rock drummers, just wish he would mix it up a bit more.

It is a darker sounding record, melodically and tone wise.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:24 am 
Offline
Member
Member

Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2003 12:03 am
Posts: 564
Location: san jose, ca, us
The show last night was spectacular. Mike really brought a whole other thing to the show/sound, and Joe let him do what he does best.

And it worked. :) Easily the best Joe show I've seen.

~A


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:12 pm 
Offline
Member
Member

Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:33 pm
Posts: 693
Location: London, UK
MikeB7070 wrote:
lydian2000 wrote:

I think Campitelli's style is only limited to what Joe demands from him, and by accepting it I think he(Campitelli) found a nice, safe, warm job.

+2 on His best CD in years, even if the song structures and melodic content are not as varied(Bass lines do their job but nothing else) as I would have hoped, but some songs do make me "feel" things, but I find the whole album to be on a rather serious(if not sad) tone. Last time a satch album made me feel anything was almost ten years ago!

:peace


You might be right. Maybe he's playing exactly what Joe wants. Rolling Stone listed him at #50 of the all time greatest rock drummers, just wish he would mix it up a bit more.

.


In a studio setting I would agree that Joe probably knows what he wants to hear on the track, but Jeff plays the same way live and IMO it's just a bit too "standard" for my taste, even the times he does let loose a bit.... But it probably works for Joe and his music this way.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:30 am 
Offline
Member
Member

Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2003 3:20 pm
Posts: 100
Location: Limerick Ireland
What was the setlist to the show in Napa ?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:15 pm 
Offline
Member
Member

Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2003 12:03 am
Posts: 564
Location: san jose, ca, us
i didn't snap a picture, but about seven songs off the new one, some of the usuals (flying, summer song), as well as crystal planet, andalusia, and uhh, others like crowd chant and the "what is your purpose" song. opened with hordes of locusts and did memories too. :)

all js2400 (switching between white and red), which was cool/interesting. :)

~A


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:51 pm 
Offline
Member
Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 28, 2004 2:43 pm
Posts: 1561
Location: Ireland
def agree with a lot of the comments here, love the cd, premonition sounds like it could be from CP

great stuff


hordes of locusts opened the napa show and big bad moon ended it!

he played "why" too... i seen a pic of the setlist but not sure where, its definitly interesting

mikes gonna be good live, got the first show of the tour here on sat :)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:38 am 
Offline
Member
Member

Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 1:58 pm
Posts: 197
Location: Slovenia
Setlist (as reported on Youtube):
1. Hordes of Locusts
2. Ice 9
3. Flying in a Blue Dream
4. Light Years Away
5. Memories
6. War
7. Premonition
8. Satch Boogie
9. Revelation
10. Pyrrhic Victoria
11. Crystal Planet
12. Mystical Potato Head Groove Thing
13. Dream Song
14. Crush of Love
15. Andalusia
16. Littleworth Lane
17. Why
18. I Just Wanna Rock
19. God is Crying
20. Wormhole Wizards
21. Always With Me, Always With You
22. Summer Song
23. Crowd Chant
24. Big Bad Moon


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:36 am 
Offline
Member
Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 14, 2004 12:00 am
Posts: 622
Location: Padova, Italy
Even the two bonus tracks for this album are amazing! Especially "Longing", Joe is tearing the guitar neck apart on that one. So much emotion, too.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:59 pm 
Offline
Member
Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 28, 2004 2:43 pm
Posts: 1561
Location: Ireland
at the dublin show tomo , if u see me say hi

prob goin for beers after


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:01 am 
Offline
Member
Member

Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:05 pm
Posts: 50
Location: Orlando, FL USA
Thanks for the heads' up. This album wasn't really on my radar. I liked the Chickenfoot album a lot, but Joe's solo stuff hasn't really clicked with me in a long time. I'm loving Black Swans, though. The songs sound more... complete. Mike Kineally's keyboard parts are fantastic and really make the album in a lot of way.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:55 am 
Offline
Member
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:03 pm
Posts: 220
Location: out through the night & the whisperin' breezes
I saw Joe in Glasgow last night (at his concert, not coming out of the supermarket or anything like that).

Anyway, the live performance was very good and the sound quality in the venue (the Clyde Auditorium) was great too - shame it was all-seated though. I feel really, really sorry for Joe's bass and rhythm guitar player on this tour though, there's just not an awful lot for them to do & they looked pretty bored during a lot of the gig. Joe has a lot of fun doing all the widdling, but the rhythm parts to his new songs, with a few exceptions, are pretty bland and repetitive (a symptom of the new album and most of the others released in the past decade)

Also hugely disappointed that he replaced Mike with someone else on keys (can't remember who it was, I have a bad memory)


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group