VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:27 am 

Mikey wrote:
Jeez, don't you love it when someone thinks they're giving you a reality check, when they don't know what they're talking about?

Sure, and a guy working as admin on a music forum has all the answers.

Mikey wrote:
As someone who actually works in the music industry and has an intimate knowledge of how things work when it comes to both recording albums and touring, I can't stress enough how clueless your post is. It's typical of those who who think they know it all, because they read anecdotal evidence on the internet to support their already flawed perspective of the music business.

Oh please, don't make me laugh. Where's your album? Still in the pipeline is it? Thought so.

Mikey wrote:
Kyo didn't say anything about being a billionaire. And if you really did know what you were talking about, you'd also know that even 20-30 years ago it wouldn't make anyone a billionaire either. It never did, and it never will, but that's not what he was hoping for anyway, making your comment pointless.

It didn't make his comment pointless, you just totally miss the concept of irony. I have absolutely no doubt that the word 'billionaire' was intended not to be taken literally in the context of that sentence.

Mikey wrote:
The fact that you would then tell him to be thankful that people would spread his music for free over the internet without permission is completely insulting.

I don't feel it was insulting, patronizing maybe. It was just his opinion, and a valid one at that, considering the current climate in the music industry. No need to condemn the poor guy for having an opposing view. Just let him know why he's wrong, if indeed you believe he is.

Mikey wrote:
People who have attitudes like this are part of the gradual decline of artists being able to make any money at all with their art. I can hardly fathom the disrespect you have for struggling artists who are simply trying to get paid for their work - which isn't asking much.

Totally shameful.

I think your melodramatic response was shameful, quite frankly. If you want people to listen to your opinion then perhaps you should hear people out and respond in a coherent and articulate manner. No need to get on your moral high-horse all the time.

Mikey wrote:
Kyo - all the best to you. Don't be discouraged in the face of adversity. Keep at it, and don't compromise.

You should post a link to where people can buy your record.

Mikey

That part was nice. It's good to see the moderators of this forum not taking sides, it makes a refreshing change (That was sarcasm by the way, in case you missed the point)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:36 am 

^^ He isn't a forum admin, lol. Your ignorance shows mightily.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:10 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

lydian7 wrote:
Mikey wrote:
Jeez, don't you love it when someone thinks they're giving you a reality check, when they don't know what they're talking about?

Sure, and a guy working as admin on a music forum has all the answers.

I hate to burst your bubble there, but Mikey (who isn't an admin or a moderator on this forum, by the way), has extensive experience in the music industry, not only as creative director, but also in artist and tour management. He has been working closely with multiple high level artists and labels.
He's an award-winning industry professional with over 15 years of experience.

So yeah, I would give credit to his insights....

J

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:37 pm 

some good points in the original post. Frankly I'd be flattered if someone pirated my music, at least I would know somebody listened to it. :D

mike.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:55 pm 
Newcomer

Wow this thread has caused quite the stir.
Creating and sending multiple press packs out is a damn pain.
In my old band about a year ago we decided to design a cool looking box with cut out
members of the band that popped up when you opened it.
We also wrote all the bios and covering letters by hand for a personal touch.
Addressing every member of the industry by name.
Out of about one hundred (can you imagine the work on that) that we sent out we got about four calls back.
Not to mention all the cold calling I did personally, speaking to receptionists day after day.. getting our messages forgotten and calling back again and again.
To be honest though.. I kept on thinking about what it was like to work in PR and have tonnes of demos coming in all the time. There's no way in hell that anyone could get through all of those. So many end up being thrown away without even being heard but hey, in the end we all know we're not musicians for the 'Enormous' pay-off haha.

Also on the whole p2p sharing topic and such. I know it's mostly not the case but if I torrent an album (which i'll honestly admit I do) and I really like it.. I go out and buy the cd.
I know it's bad really but in all honesty it's obviously going to happen, general people won't turn down free things.

It's certainly not the musicians responsibility to ensure this doesn't happen..
it's some computer genius's who either finds a fool proof method of watermarking mp3s, PCMs ect. or completely revolutionises the way we all obtain and listen to music.

Gotta stop ranting.

Cheers guys

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:02 pm 
Newcomer

Good luck to your band Kyo. It's tough to make a buck but it sounds like you deserve to. Hope you get there.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:21 pm 

Pkobji wrote:
Wow this thread has caused quite the stir.
Creating and sending multiple press packs out is a damn pain.
In my old band about a year ago we decided to design a cool looking box with cut out
members of the band that popped up when you opened it.
We also wrote all the bios and covering letters by hand for a personal touch.
Addressing every member of the industry by name.
Out of about one hundred (can you imagine the work on that) that we sent out we got about four calls back.
Not to mention all the cold calling I did personally, speaking to receptionists day after day.. getting our messages forgotten and calling back again and again.

Well, there's a reason why we didn't even try to find a label! :mrgreen:

Axiology Records wrote:
Good luck to your band Kyo. It's tough to make a buck but it sounds like you deserve to. Hope you get there.

Thanks! And say hello to Chris, haha! :)

Nice to see this thread still getting some attention, btw! :)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:21 am 
Newcomer

Very nice album, by the way Kyo, got Relocator a few days ago and I'm a fan, very high quality prog! Particularly enjoyed The Alchemist.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:06 pm 

MasoTMN wrote:
Very nice album, by the way Kyo, got Relocator a few days ago and I'm a fan, very high quality prog! Particularly enjoyed The Alchemist.

Thanks, man! Really cool to hear that so many people out there (all over the world, really!) are enjoying our music! :D